Replaced ribbon wire and now the gimbal motor is moving all over the place when it is powered up

Reaction score
That was kind of fun, taking apart the gimbal assembly and camera but I am now left with a gimbal motor that has a life of it's own when I turn on the drone....The motors are both firing and the camera is moving around...not ideal. The original problem was that I had no image signal at all...the camera was not seeing or was not sending a signal to my phone. All other flight systems were fine so I looked at the ribbon wire and saw that it was damaged and bought a replacement and after watching about 6 YouTube videos decided to have a go at it....I now have a very definite problem and would like to hear if any of you have experienced this and may have a solution. Thank you.

Had flex cable changed on mine everything worked but not record to sd card had to have another flex cable installed to fix problem sometimes they can be a problem maybe from installation or flex cable not good enough quality, hope you figure it out

Yip sounds like you need another,it's bit hard when looking for original ribbon sets now days but pays to search,,some just don't work and some don't match female clip 100%,can be bit off,,,they all look the same until you investigate

Just because there is an “oem” somewhere in the ad, doesn’t mean it’s a DJI product. Even when you think you have it figured out, you may be wrong. Do some hunting and find a DJI dealer.
Not sure which one you have, but here’s a start.

Last edited:
So you all seem to think the cable I purchased may be the issue...hmm...OK. I'm going to check out some web sites...Cloud City has none in stock and buying from amazon just means I have no idea where the part is really coming from....

If anyone else has anything to add, please continue this thred, Thanks guys.

Correct orientation for the P3A gimbal shaft

So I still have sgs (spastic gimbal syndrome) and I opened and checked my position of the camera spindle but I had to move the control board to really see that post. Here is what I saw with the computer chip in place and also trying to hold it away. Mine looks different.

Also, check the orientation of the pitch motor shaft going into the side of the camera. The flat should face towards the rear.
When I replaced my ribbon cable, I mistakenly installed the pitch motor shaft into the camera backwards, and mine did like you are describing yours.

Last edited:
And there are many knockoff cables about ,pitches can vary and not work proper,,,like bottom pic there is a right side up,
Screenshot_20190522-095903.jpg
Screenshot_20190522-095211.jpg

So I still have sgs (spastic gimbal syndrome) and I opened and checked my position of the camera spindle but I had to move the control board to really see that post. Here is what I saw with the computer chip in place and also trying to hold it away. Mine looks different.View attachment 111402View attachment 111403

You're on the right track, BUT, the P3Std. has one main issue that the other P3 cams don't have and is the source of the dreaded "gimbal dance". The camera module itself is the cause. DJI engineers chose to put the SD card slot in the module rather than in the main circuit board. I have almost a dozen "bad" camera modules that are the cause of the "dance". There is one other thing you need to check, which is quite common with this model. The "pot" on the roll and pitch circuit boards need to be checked for Ohms, (set multimeter to 20),. Position the "flat" up and center it. Put probe on lower soldered connection and the other probe on the upper right and then left to check the reading. A bad board will have zero readings. I usually get around a 375 to 400 reading on the meter. The other DJI cams with these same type of circuit boards can be checked in the same manner. Hope this helps.

Very interesting. OK, so from what I can understand you want me to check the board that is inside the camera container. There are two boards in there, one that lies on top of the other, so I will call the one we see first when I remove the screws, the first board and then the one where the SD card is attached I will call the second board. Are these the boards that you are referring too and if so can you help me a little further. Which board am I checking...What is meant by "Position the "flat" up and center it " I can set my multimeter to 20 and try, I just need to know where to do this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic