Remote controller charging issue, something you could try. Possible solution

Reaction score
Well, after it hit me too with the “controller is not charging” issue I surfed the web to see if other have the same problem.
It does look like there are plenty of users with the same issue.

The symptoms are that the charger shuts off before the battery is full.
First at three lights and then already at two lights.

It also seems that the remote shuts off during use way too early, even if the battery was really only 50 percent charged.

I did read that by bleaving the charger on even when the lights are off, that the battery gets more charge.
I tried this and had the charger on over night.
Didn’t really change much, just two lights when turned on and seem to discharge quickly.

Some reported that they opened the controller and measured that the battery was basically full but the remote (and app) said 50 % or less

I did open my remote and checked on the battery, sure enough, I meassures 8.36volt and that should be pretty much all it can do. At least way more then the 50% stated.

This behavior screams to be a connection issue.
If the controller doesn’t see the voltage it assumes it has less charge. Not sure why it would stop charging but I assume that the charging is controlled by the battery itself since there seems to be some electronic on the battery. My guess is that this is the load balancer that is needed is on the battery.

Anyway, I checked the board since the battery seems fine but I couldn’t see much just like anyone else.
As stated , a voltage drop is easy to get with a bad contact.
Since we have multilayer pcb boards there is not much one can do.
Except for one thing. Since I had nothing to loose I just went for it.
Surface mount devices can’t be soldered with a solder gun, instead you use a hot air solder station.
I remembered some time ago that some PlayStations hat a solder problem and it helped to “re-flow” those boards.
Well I took my smd solder station amd set it to 250 degree.
I am just guessing here , I am not sure if this was too hot or too cold to do anything.
I then concentrated my “re-flow” around the area of the batterie plug. On both, the front and the back of the pcb. Just the area around the plug. That’s it.
I tried not to heat up the parts too much since they are easy to kill if the get too hot.

What can I say., I let the board cool of and put the remote together, the remote showed 4 lights as I would suspect with a full battery.
The app connected showed 97%.
It all seemed to fit
I connected the phantom 4 and let it sit to drain the battery of the controller.
Slowly but surely the battery went down to 49%. It took quite a while to get the battery to discharge. Looked fine to me.
No shutting down or anything else weird happening.

Once the controller was at 49% I turned it off and put the charger on.
The controller charged what seems normal back up till all 4 leds came on.
When I connected the app it showed 90% for the battery.
It could be that yhe battery can’t hold a 100% charge after a year and 50 flights. I would thing that’s too low but for now I take this as I can use it to fly again. Perhaps leaving the charger on even with the lights off it will go eventually to 100%.

So, it does look like there is a bad solder point somewhere on the board regarding the battery connection and or voltage sensing.

I am not telling you to go and fry your board, which is easy to do.
But if you have a spare, because you payed for a new controller, or if you have nothing else to do and like to screw with things then that’s something you could try.

That would only work, if at all, if the battery shows a full charge when meassured but the controller doesn’t see the charge and shuts if prematurely.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge in smd soldering and re-flowing could chime in?? As i said , i am not even sure about the temperature setting and time i applied the hot air.
If this would work and we would have a definitive temperature it could be as easy as putting the board into the oven for a few minutes. Lol.

Perhaps DJI (or someone who works at DJI) would be so nice to publish the part of the drawing that relates to the charging and voltage sensing on the board so we don’t have to guess.
I know, long shot to ask for it.
But going thru the web seeing how many people have problems with this “not charging” issue it would be a good move from DJI.

Anyway, if anyone is up for it let us know how it went.

Again, no promises or warranties, you do it on your own.

I just telling my experience with this experiment..

Rainer.

I wonder if putting the board in the oven would work. I remember doing something similar with the PlayStation awhile back. Hmmmmm

Well, after it hit me too with the “controller is not charging” issue I surfed the web to see if other have the same problem.
It does look like there are plenty of users with the same issue.

The symptoms are that the charger shuts off before the battery is full.
First at three lights and then already at two lights.

It also seems that the remote shuts off during use way too early, even if the battery was really only 50 percent charged.

I did read that by bleaving the charger on even when the lights are off, that the battery gets more charge.
I tried this and had the charger on over night.
Didn’t really change much, just two lights when turned on and seem to discharge quickly.

Some reported that they opened the controller and measured that the battery was basically full but the remote (and app) said 50 % or less

I did open my remote and checked on the battery, sure enough, I meassures 8.36volt and that should be pretty much all it can do. At least way more then the 50% stated.

This behavior screams to be a connection issue.
If the controller doesn’t see the voltage it assumes it has less charge. Not sure why it would stop charging but I assume that the charging is controlled by the battery itself since there seems to be some electronic on the battery. My guess is that this is the load balancer that is needed is on the battery.

Anyway, I checked the board since the battery seems fine but I couldn’t see much just like anyone else.
As stated , a voltage drop is easy to get with a bad contact.
Since we have multilayer pcb boards there is not much one can do.
Except for one thing. Since I had nothing to loose I just went for it.
Surface mount devices can’t be soldered with a solder gun, instead you use a hot air solder station.
I remembered some time ago that some PlayStations hat a solder problem and it helped to “re-flow” those boards.
Well I took my smd solder station amd set it to 250 degree.
I am just guessing here , I am not sure if this was too hot or too cold to do anything.
I then concentrated my “re-flow” around the area of the batterie plug. On both, the front and the back of the pcb. Just the area around the plug. That’s it.
I tried not to heat up the parts too much since they are easy to kill if the get too hot.

What can I say., I let the board cool of and put the remote together, the remote showed 4 lights as I would suspect with a full battery.
The app connected showed 97%.
It all seemed to fit
I connected the phantom 4 and let it sit to drain the battery of the controller.
Slowly but surely the battery went down to 49%. It took quite a while to get the battery to discharge. Looked fine to me.
No shutting down or anything else weird happening.

Once the controller was at 49% I turned it off and put the charger on.
The controller charged what seems normal back up till all 4 leds came on.
When I connected the app it showed 90% for the battery.
It could be that yhe battery can’t hold a 100% charge after a year and 50 flights. I would thing that’s too low but for now I take this as I can use it to fly again. Perhaps leaving the charger on even with the lights off it will go eventually to 100%.

So, it does look like there is a bad solder point somewhere on the board regarding the battery connection and or voltage sensing.

I am not telling you to go and fry your board, which is easy to do.
But if you have a spare, because you payed for a new controller, or if you have nothing else to do and like to screw with things then that’s something you could try.

That would only work, if at all, if the battery shows a full charge when meassured but the controller doesn’t see the charge and shuts if prematurely.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge in smd soldering and re-flowing could chime in?? As i said , i am not even sure about the temperature setting and time i applied the hot air.
If this would work and we would have a definitive temperature it could be as easy as putting the board into the oven for a few minutes. Lol.

Perhaps DJI (or someone who works at DJI) would be so nice to publish the part of the drawing that relates to the charging and voltage sensing on the board so we don’t have to guess.
I know, long shot to ask for it.
But going thru the web seeing how many people have problems with this “not charging” issue it would be a good move from DJI.

Anyway, if anyone is up for it let us know how it went.

Again, no promises or warranties, you do it on your own.

I just telling my experience with this experiment..

Rainer.
There is a metering board attached to the battery pack inside the shrink wrap. Unfortunately it is not available. Only fix I know of is sending back to DJI and wait, and wait, and wait. They have had mine for 3 weeks. Im still waiting. Wish you luck

I wonder if putting the board in the oven would work. I remember doing something similar with the PlayStation awhile back. Hmmmmm

For this we would need to know the temperature rating for the weakest part on the board.
Otherwise we risk burning this part and render the board useless since we could not find it without schematics.

That’s why I just concentrated around the power plug and did not heat other parts.

Mine is still working since I did this.
I read somewhere that someone re-soldered with a soldier iron and his board started working also.

Regarding the board on he batterie.
I don’t think that this board is the board for the voltage or load.
I believe that is the load balancer that checks the cells and balances the batterie during charge.

There is only the power cable connected to the main board. There are no balancing leads.
When my remote showed half way charged the battery was actually full!!! That’s why the charging shuts off, because the battery is actually full.
When he voltage drops to half full, the remote stops working because the remote went from half full to empty.
There are plenty of testing points on the board were we could check if we would just know what to expect there.
Hopefully the schematics leak at some point.

Reactions: loonie01
I contacted DJI today about the problem my controller is out of warranty by 1 month 9 days. :mad:
Luckily I I have a spare controller. I don't have a hot air soldiering station so I may just try the re soldering with an iron

I had the same idea but I remained with a hot air gun over the main board for 30 seconds. Nothing changed. My battery too has no problem, cause I measured the voltage.
I didn't checked if it is only a problem on the battery level sensor. I mean: will the controller stay powered on even if beeping? May be I could ignore the beep if I'm sure that the battery is full. This would allow me to fly next week

Last edited:
Today I tried flying with just one battery led on the rc.
I could fly without problems till the end of the multicopter battery.
So, if we know that the battery is correctly charged and not damaged, I could ignore the leds on the rc and do my flight. Do you agree with me?

Ok. I have started having the same problem. RC now only charging on first two lights, then switching off. Leave it a few hours, switch back on and its just cycling through the first two lights. Is there any way to see how many hours my drone as flown as although about two years old, not a lot of hours flown, I would expect the batteries to take a proper recharge.

On another thread ( Remote controller not charging ) I wrote:

"I completely rebooted the controller to factory settings, then reset the link to the drone, then went outside and was able to get GPS signals, to launch, to move around, to redirect the camera, to return to home, and shut down. The entire time my controller was beeping constantly to tell me I had a low battery. I'm trying to recharge it now, and will leave it charging all night if necessary. . . If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it. This afternoon I was able to get TWO white lights on the controller. . . but now I have just one, and I should have four. Help!"

There's NO WAY I'm going at a circuit board with a soldering gun.

If the controller's battery is actually fully charged, even though the lights say it's not, is there some way to turn off the alarm? Is there some way to control the volume of the alarm?

just joined, here's what i did and am doing about this..Only had 2 lights so charged the battery externally to just below full, plugged in the charger, then plugged the battery back in' you should then see 3 led's and let it finish charging. still not on after a month at full charge so i'm making a reset switch so i don't have to keep opening it to plug cycle. good luck bro ;)

I have been getting limited success with the "reflowing" method but it seems to revert back to its old evil ways after a couple weeks. Think I'm going to install a switch somewhere to be able to isolate the battery when not in use. There is always a constant voltage to the board and something gets tired of this. Anyone concur??

I have been getting limited success with the "reflowing" method but it seems to revert back to its old evil ways after a couple weeks. Think I'm going to install a switch somewhere to be able to isolate the battery when not in use. There is always a constant voltage to the board and something gets tired of this. Anyone concur??

I am on my second reflow. The first one lasted several months but then I put the drone away for storage for about a month and when I took it out the controller was fubared again. On my second reflow I got a bit more aggressive with it. It’s only been maybe a couple of weeks now so I’ll keep an eye on it. I’m not going to put it away for storage this time. I’m leaving it on my bookcase. If it does it again I’m just going to nut-up and get a used Inspire RC from eBay.

Had the reflower set at 400!!! on my 3 attempt and it worked for bout 3 weeks .....is this a lamination issue with the board? How are Dji dealing with this ongoing issue and which rc serial numbers are affected? Do they know?

Had the reflower set at 400!!! on my 3 attempt and it worked for bout 3 weeks .....is this a lamination issue with the board? How are Dji dealing with this ongoing issue and which rc serial numbers are affected? Do they know?

No clue. I’m not even sure they have addressed it. Have only seen reports on the 300C controllers.

Thanks Gaucho for your process. Can you post a review of how it goes over the next 3 weeks as this seems to be the limit for me of the reflowing process before it reverts back to fault and show a low battery charge again. I have noticed that the RC gets hot when charging in the area just in from the charging port and am suspecting this heat may undo the reflowing process that I have done 3 times.
There is someone replacing a particular ic chip on the rc board that reads battery voltage and even suggests a part number but not sure if this is bonifide yet.
Please let us know how It goes over the next 3 weeks and if it gets hot when charging

Its possible that the 17.5V charging voltage is affecting the 7.6 V reading circuit and damaging the circuit in the process. If so I'm considering a reflow again and charging the 7.6V battery from an external port in the body to the battery with a dedicated 7.6 charger. It will mean mounting a small 3mm socket on the back of the remote for an additional charging port.
Anyone else figure this?

Lookindown said:
There is someone replacing a particular ic chip on the rc board that reads battery voltage and even suggests a part number but not sure if this is bonifide yet.
Please let us know how It goes over the next 3 weeks and if it gets hot when charging
I'll let you know. Can you tell me where can I read about chip replacement? To solder external connector it's not difficult but then you need external charger since I suppose that the charging circuit is onboard.

Is it possible that some automatic battery discharge logic is activated while the controller is in the bag and the hot create the problem? Is it a tin problem or pcb layers problem?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20