Remote Control signals - what will they pass through?

Reaction score
I have a P4, all going very well and I am finding this a lot easier to fly than my old P2 Vision +. The big bonus are the intelligent flight modes and also the range - I was lucky to get more than 275 metres with the old system unless I went to the top of a mountain. Now, I have had a flight off the Ridgeway to around 1,250 metres and still had a 100% 'upload' and 'download' link, but decided this was far enough - it was beyond my LOS and I do try to obey the rules...

However, what I am uncertain about is what can get in the way of the signal, if you are down on the ground. I see videos of people (usually in America) taking off from their back gardens and flying out over a nearby lake. But they will not have direct line of sight to the drone as there are normally some big trees in the way, yet still have total control. I know you can't go behind buildings / behind 'solid' items like mountains / hilltops, but what are the limitations with the remote control? Will the signal pass through a bunch of trees okay? At the moment, I am doing everything possible to maintain 'LOS' but this will not always be possible, especially if I go up into some of the wilder areas in Wales. Advice most welcome!

It varies by conditions.

These microwaves also travel by LOS and are easily reflected both blocking them and creating multi-path.
This allows some blockage as the waves scatter around the objects and eventually find their way to the receiver. But when they arrive the can be both additive and subtract-ive depending on their phase relationship. DJI has used this to their benefit with their OFDM and MIMO techniques.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl