Register by paper if operate outside US?

Reaction score
The FAA registration site has the following on the first page:

"Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines:

• Your aircraft is used for commercial purposes.
  • Your aircraft is used for other than hobby and recreation.
  • Your aircraft is greater than 55 lbs.
  • You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States."

It appears they mean meeting any one of the points requires paper registration. Digging deeper into the site, they refer to "if you are going to operate in a country that requires an "N" number." But there is really no clarification anywhere.

So - does this mean what the clear language says?

But more to the point - Can I take my online registered P3 with me to Mexico next week without violating an FAA regulation (rule, guideline or whatever they're calling them these days)?

FYI - Mexico doesn't require a permit for under 2 kilograms.

Are you worried that the FAA will check your phantom because you are flying to Mexico? Trust me, it is a bad idea to register, it's just another way to get you on another govt. list. The police are not going to enforce this registration, and the FAA doesn't have enough people to enforce it.

Can I take my online registered P3 with me to Mexico next week without violating an FAA regulation
Yep. The FAA does not control the airspace in Mexico.

Maybe I should have been more concise.

Why does the FAA say you need to register by paper if you "intend" to take your craft outside the U.S.?

Guessing but a cya on their part. If another country requires different stuff (like n number) they have a paper record. So that you don't think registering is enough in your Mexican trial if you needed more for that country.

Are you worried that the FAA will check your phantom because you are flying to Mexico? Trust me, it is a bad idea to register, it's just another way to get you on another govt. list. The police are not going to enforce this registration, and the FAA doesn't have enough people to enforce it.

Of course the FAA doesn't have the staff for this. I was considering not registering until I saw a post last week reporting that the FAA is attempting to enlist local law authorities in enforcing these "regulations".

See the linked "LEO Guidance" card FAA is promoting all over the country:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/media/LEO_guidance_card.pdf

People have already reported they are getting checked for registration cards and numbers on their craft. Local police and park rangers may or may not be following up on this, but the FAA is sure trying.

5 bucks, this evil 'list' ONLY says that you own a UAV, is that a secret you need kept? Your call, everyone has their own opinion

Of course the FAA doesn't have the staff for this. I was considering not registering until I saw a post last week reporting that the FAA is attempting to enlist local law authorities in enforcing these "regulations".

See the linked "LEO Guidance" card FAA is promoting all over the country:

Well, I am a firefighter by trade, and I know tons of police officers that work for many different departments, and they have all told me they haven't seen that LEO form yet, nor do they plan on enforcing anything to do with a UAS, unless it seriously hurts someone or something. Plus, it keeps saying the FAA requires this and requires that, well it's not a law, so they can "require" all they want, but until there is a law or an ordnance on the books, I will not be registering mine.

5 bucks, this evil 'list' ONLY says that you own a UAV, is that a secret you need kept? Your call, everyone has their own opinion

No, I am not one of those tinfoil hat conspiracy guys Fordruid, but I do think this is a witch hunt because some media idiots decided to nickname quad-copters "drones" which used to be reserved for the spying and killing machines the president sent to other countries. And no, It's not a seceret, nor do I care who knows I own drones, but until it is a law, like having car insurance, then I just don't want to be on a list that started because someone got their underwear in a bunch..lol.

So are you saying law enforcement or FAA cannot legally fine you up to $250,000 for not registering your Quadcopter and possible 3 years in jail? Is it just fear mongering by FAA and news media?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5ea0751e1e444c3e524f10804f2f69c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So are you saying law enforcement or FAA cannot legally fine you up to $250,000 for not registering your Quadcopter and possible 3 years in jail? Is it just fear mongering by FAA and news media?

I stand corrected, I did not know that it was actually a law, my bad. With that being said though, the only way that they would even come close to enforcing the law with 3yrs and/or 250k fine, would be if you literally killed someone or brought down a plane. The other thing that bothers me is that this is similar to all the new gun restrictions they're trying to put out. The unsafe idiot drone pilots are not going to register their drones, so basically us responsible drone owners are the only ones affected by this new law. Also, there are many problems with this FAA law, they are already being sued by several people. Here are just two of the articles I found about the issues with registration laws.....

http://www.newsweek.com/faas-drone-registration-program-legal-408701

FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

Reactions: Maverick81
No, I am not one of those tinfoil hat conspiracy guys Fordruid, but I do think this is a witch hunt because some media idiots decided to nickname quad-copters "drones" which used to be reserved for the spying and killing machines the president sent to other countries. And no, It's not a seceret, nor do I care who knows I own drones, but until it is a law, like having car insurance, then I just don't want to be on a list that started because someone got their underwear in a bunch..lol.
Fair enough, but I figure if granny sees that many registered her panties might unbunch a little.

Reactions: Jack Ley

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl