New guidance

Reaction score
FYI
Recreational Flyers – Interim Safety Guidance Available to Explain How, When and Where You Can Fly Your Drone
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued interim safety guidance for recreational flyers that reinforces recent changes to how, when and where users can fly drones for recreational purposes.
The FAA’s Advisory Circular explains the conditions users must comply with in order to fly under the exception for recreational flyers, and simplifies information in the Federal Register Notice.
This AC outlines eight conditions:
  1. Fly strictly for recreational purposes.
  2. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.
  3. Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you.
  4. Operate in a manner that does not interfere with, and gives way to, any manned aircraft.
  5. Do not fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless you are flying at a recreational flyer fixed sitethat has an agreement with the FAA.
    1. Flight in controlled airspace is temporarily limited to these fixed fields. The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. This system is currently only available for certified Part 107 drone pilots.
    2. Do not contact the local FAA Air Traffic facilities for airspace authorizations.
  6. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace.
  7. Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test.
  8. Register and externally mark your drone, and carry proof of registration with you.
Learn more about the rules you should follow to fly your drone safely.

Please do searches prior to posting. This has been repeatedly posted. Mods, may close your posts otherwise....Just a bit of advice.

IMHO.....I dont see another thread with as concise a question as this one. I see some that talk about the possibility of this decision but not the specific email that went out.

So if I may, I'll ask my question here........

#7.......... what test do we have to pass ??

If you read the actual text from the FAA...there is no definative description. However, it is universally accepted that this will be a basic aeronautical, safety, and regulations knowledge test, and will most likely be an online test.

IMHO.....I dont see another thread with as concise a question as this one. I see some that talk about the possibility of this decision but not the specific email that went out.

So if I may, I'll ask my question here........

On my post go down to the bottom and hit Learn More and it will take you to the FAA website where all this is answered

On my post go down to the bottom and hit Learn More and it will take you to the FAA website where all this is answered
Not really....if you have been following as so many of us have you would have known this quite a while ago. This is nothing new. Not saying the your post is not noteworthy, it is only the fact that we have been following this for a very long time and we knew this would appear at some point, which it already had a few weeks ago.

I’m not going to argue with anyone on here, I’m just passing info on as I get it from the FAA
This is directly from them to me and I get info daily
Been doing this for 40 years and deal with them on a daily basis
Just trying to keep everyone informed as I get it

Reactions: Theballoonmanky
’m not going to argue with anyone on here, I’m just passing info on as I get it from the FAA
This is directly from them to me and I get info daily
As do most of us here. No one is arguing with you at all. It is the point of multiple posts that was the original issue. I was suggesting that this exact information has already been posted and shared on numerous posts. You are not alone in the shared FAA information.

Reactions: drvrbobob
Thanks for keeping us informed. I got the same email yesterday. Looks like changes are in the near future.

My question.... Is everyone at the ama field flying fixed wing going to have to do the same test!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31