Refused clearance by an airport???

Hi I am a new drone operator. I live on the outer edge of the 5 mile radius of a military airport. I have AirMap and use that to create a flight plan. Do i still have to call the tower? If so what do I say when calling?
As a controller, direction, distance, altitude, from the airport and time of flight are what help us. Also a courtesy call of when you are done.

Last edited:
After reading most of the posts in here I thought I would bring a bit of clarification (I hope) to the conversation. First of let me state that I am an Air Traffic Controller working at a contract tower, (usually Class D airspace and a VFR Tower only), we follow FAA guidance and rules and our company applies any additional restrictions they feel necessary. I have over 25 years experience (military and civil towers), I am also a licensed private pilot with an instrument rating, and I am a licensed drone pilot.

Your experience and knowledge are greatly appreciated from both a sUAS perspective as well as PPL (SEL) perspective. I won't elaborate but many years ago I got myself into a "pickle" while flying VFR back home to the mountains from the flat lands. I experienced a major electrical issue on-board (I was flying alone and majorly fatigued) and the controller at KAVL was like an Angel from Heaven above. He got me back on the ground safe-n-sound and kept a calm cool head/voice which greatly helped keep me from freaking out. I can remember his voice today like it was yesterday although it's been 20+ years now.

Reactions: Oso
That is the correct publication. It does also reference other publications that it works in conjunction with such as FAR's, the 7110.65, and AC 91-57, AC 107-2. My apologies for not knowing the publication numbers this is all new stuff for us as well.

I'll be happy to answer any questions and help in any way possible but my experience and knowledge will be limited to the facility that I work at. Again I'm not an FAA controller but I'm a contract controller working at a VFR tower.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I am in the exact middle of 5 uncontrolled small airfields. The overlap of all 5 are directly over my house. I have been flying for a little over a year using common sense. A Lifeflight pilot lives one street over and buzzes his house occasionally but I am pretty sure it is at 500 feet. I always stay within VLOS range and haven’t had any issues. As a post above stated, the Houston area has hundreds of heliports all over. I ran into the same issue North of DFW. While well outside the 5 mile range, the number of heliports for medical facilities is unbelievable. I did fly to get pictures of a building, but I only exceeded the height of the light poles by maybe 50 feet. If an aircraft is flying at say 120 feet, I do believe my drone is NOT going to be the cause of that crash. Being cognizant of your surroundings is key.

There is so much information on this site that is extremely helpful. It is very enjoyable to see drone pilots helping the new folks and providing good information. Fly safe out there!

Flying a drone in your area must be challenge, it must be a sigh of relief when you finally land without any drama.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT