REDbird - 5.8ghz RC Repeater for DJI P2V+ - PLEASE RE-WATCH BERRYs DEMO VIDEO

Reaction score
"It's a two-drone solution" ... Introducing RDT ... REDbird Repeater Drone Technology

Viewing Instructions:
In the youtube window, select the gear-looking icon and set the video resolution to 1080.​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bear501 did this flight while setting comfortably inside his car:

Use a PC or mac to see the text subtitles for the following video:

What it can do for you:
  • Fly into new places currently impossible to access
  • Require no modification to any of your equipment; just turn on, bind, and fly.
  • Mount the repeaters on a camera tripod and set in your car or under a shade tree
  • Or, mount on a second drone; the BlueBird Repeater Drone which carries both repeaters for the RedBird Worker Drone (a P2V, P2V+, or FC40).
  • Breath new purpose into your P2V machine. Not even a P3 or Inspire 1 can come close to flying where this new type two-drone (or camera tripod mounted) solution can go.

A small and powerful REDbird 5.8ghz RC transceiver module is at the core the REDbird Repeater Device which is the same size as the DJI 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater. Its firmware 100% emulates the DJI 5.8ghz in-air protocol scheme. The firmware is upgradable via the REDbird RC Assistant program (currently only for a PC).

Other features:
  • Operates as a Repeater - it is not an RF booster. it is truly a programmable and intelligent RC data packet repeater.
  • Operates as a Transmitter - using any other controller that has a trainer output. Once the device detects a trainer input signal it automatically stops acting as a repeater and becomes a transmitter. (it uses the binding address of your DJI controller.)
  • Dual Trainer Port Input - can support two operators: a pilot and camera operator; or an instructor/student configuration.
  • Built in rechargeable LiPo battery (charges via USB)
  • External Communications: USB and TTL serial ports - to adapt to third party solutions.
Other product variations in the pipe:
  • REDbird in-drone transceiver module - replace the P2V receiver module. adds downlinking GPS, compass, LED status, User programmable I/O such as lighting and speaker payload sub-systems. Will record flight path data like the Flytrex-type product; instead directly load to Google KML file format.
  • Support UAV systems that primarily operate in the 2.4ghz band by adding a 5.8ghz data link for extended purposes.
  • Possible for users to add an external WiFi antenna mod to their newer type GoPro cameras for longer wifi video downlink range and then use a REDbird 5.8ghz system as the control link (the two rf bands will not interfere with how the other can listen or receive.)
  • Extend the range of ground based RC vehicles by having Repeater Drone Air Support overhead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeking System Solution Developers (and possibly re-sellers)

The KickStarter Campaign has been delayed to add Advanced Payload support for other UAV platforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLPTFLYER
Status of REDbird Transceiver Device:
  1. Qty 10 production quality REDbird devices exist now.
  2. The device is at a FCC Testing Lab now to first obtain grants for USA FCC and Canada IC.
  3. CE and other global compliance approvals will follow
  4. Component supply chains are secure
  5. Production line capacity is secure
  6. Launch a four week KickStarter Campaign in June.

The REDbird 5.8ghz Transceiver Device is four things in one:
  1. Controller <-- just plug in to the trainer input port with your favorite controller
  2. Repeater <-- simply flip on the power switch to start repeating between Controller and Receiver
  3. Receiver <-- currently serial data; a hardware version will support mounting in the UAV
  4. Monitor <-- monitor the two-way traffic between Controller and Receiver

The REDbird device is first targeted towards Phantom 2 Vision, Vision+, and FC40 owners:
  1. Ground level flight out to long distances
  2. Set in comfort of you car or shaded area
  3. Fly into what was previously impossible locations
  4. Use your favorite brand of controller instead of DJI's GWhite Controller
  5. Supports two-person flight: pilot/camera or instructor/student

The REDbird product family will provide the community with a 5.8ghz RC radio link alternative; for all RC controlled vehicles: Ground, Air, Water

This is good if it repeats both ghz but how much wattage or dBm does it put out.?

Raw RF output power is far less of a concern when you have a full repeater solution flying above your head.

The REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater Device has over 250mw (24dBm) of conducted output power. It has two built in 6dBi patch antenna's. The DJI 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater is the weakest RF link.

I have tested it at ground level on both ends out to three mile; which astonished even me-self.

Here you can see both REDbird 5.8ghz RC and DJI 2.4ghz WiFi Repeaters flying on a Repeater Drone:

Please stop repeating the same video. Is that why you call it a repeater?
is the repeater for both video and RC control?

Details are in one of my previous posts. .
I read that NO this item is NOT available yet? NO It has not started production? It will be ready sometime next year. Must go thru FCC Testing Lab and first obtain grants for USA FCC and Canada IC.

Please stop repeating the same video.
Please put up with my video taking up space in my signature for a little bit longer. Just trying to get the word out. This approach separates the ground control and radio uplink points. I've noticed it takes a bit of time for people grab hold of the concept. I'll be toning down my signature soon.

I read that NO this item is NOT available yet? NO It has not started production? It will be ready sometime next year. Must go thru FCC Testing Lab and first obtain grants for USA FCC and Canada IC.
I see... so that is why you asked twice for the same information even though it was bullet item listed the first time.

I knew should have waited a few more weeks until I was issued an FCC grant to quell nay-sayers. But.. I'm a really excited with all my recent field test flights and I want so many others to experience this too.
  • YES.. it is in FCC testing now. Anticipating the TCB to issue the grant by June 1st.
  • YES.. supply chains and production lines are secured.
  • YES.. months of bench and field tests to ensure this product is right.
  • YES.. it has been in development since about this time last year. (from just an idea to a real physical item.) The sheer amount of effort from an RF design, packaging, and software perspective.. along with keeping a day job and a personal life... I would not be posting this now if I was not that close to market.
About FCC and IC Grants:
Pertaining to all the 5.8ghz video transmitter suppliers: (I think only one of them have an FCC grant.) They skirt the system by stating you must have a HAM radio license to use their product but hardly anyone has a license. I could have went that route but I see a lot more potential out there in the main stream market and I choose to do it right the first time.​

This ain't my first rodeo. My profession since the mid 70's is Electronic Design and Development and taking product to production.

An offer to the Prowler ID: if you have a P2V+, perhaps you are interested to field test a unit. I don't have many to spare right now so as long as you test and return it in a timely fashion. You can mount it to a camera tripod along with the DJI WiFi Repeater and test it that way. Cost you nothing as long as you have a camera tripod. Then you can determine how setting in your car or in a shaded area works for you. Or, if you have a second drone, fly both repeaters.

As long as you share your results with this forum. I'll first need to know your equipment assets, flight environment, and basic plan to test. PM me for my phone number.

BTW... my name is Gary Daniels. I live in Columbus Ohio.

Last edited:
Typically repeaters have a different Rx and Tx freq. for full-duplex operation.

How does this system work with regards to Tx/Rx binding or am I more confused than originally thought???

Looking forward to this and test it on the Flats. Subscribed and eagerly following.

Edit: I have removed this post because I haven't been online and wanted to thank you for doing likewise on my post. Best of luck with your endeavours.

Last edited:
Now that is just right spiteful and mean. I apologized for my signature (and it was removed) in the public forum message thread you supposedly under your ownership. And, the majority of my post was directly related to the thread title.

I see... so that is why you asked twice for the same information even though it was bullet item listed the first time..

I only ask you so it could bump up your post of a great idea. Help you get the word out when this item will be ready. I am sure many have been waiting for something like this to come along. I know I have.

I see now Prowler. I've had some negative rant thrown back at me elsewhere. I have corrected and toned down my excitement about this stuff as I meant no harm; only to share what I feel is a game changer to extend the end of life for the P2V+.

I do appreciate your post. I have about ten dual drone video flights I have not published yet.
The flight I did this past Monday was super awesome. My fingers were shaking on the controls.
It is funny how when you fly an unknown how your mind makes up doubt and wants to trick you.
You'll see when I post the next video.

I will call you tonight and arrange for you to check this out.

Thanks.

The application for this device is immense. Garrock this is incredible.

This test flight was about sending the Repeater Drone further downrange (instead of hovering overhead). Note: for repeater drone overhead flights, this mod is not necessary; but no doubt increases your overall RF Link Budget quality.

In this case, the Repeater Drone was placed almost 500 feet away at a right angle to the Worker Drones flight path. (a dog leg flight path). The antenna patches inside each of the two flown repeater modules were facing upriver. This means the ground point was edgewise to the flown repeaters' patch antennas. So, even more of a reason to do this tablet-antenna mod.

Modified Android Tablet:
In order to maintain a better WiFi connection with the DJI 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater Module being flown on the Repeater Drone, a Nexus 7 Android Tablet was modified with an external SMA antenna connector (aka DBS Heli-Pad Mod). One of the two 2.4ghz antenna ports on the ITELITE DBS Phantom Antenna was then connected to the tablets new external SMA connector. Since the ITELITE antenna also has a separate 5.8ghz built in antenna, I modified the DJI controller to use that too. (probably not necessary since the flying REDbird 5.8ghz Repeater Module has good receive sensitivity and lots of transmit power. Most likely necessary in future flights when sending the Repeater Drone much further downrange.)

This mod now enables sending the Repeater Drone out to much further distances. (future test flights will send the repeater drone thousands of feet down range along with the Worker Drone.)​

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31