REDbird - 5.8ghz RC Repeater for DJI P2V+ - PLEASE RE-WATCH BERRYs DEMO VIDEO

Last question...so ideally you use two of the Redbird devices right?
No, only one REDbird device acting as a Repeater is necessary.

Optionally, if you want to use a controller other than DJI's white controller, then you can use another REDbird device acting as a controller; just plug in to the trainer input port.

Here is a Tripod Mounted video:

6th Flight: A meetup with: Buckeye Aerial Drone Users Group
Another demonstration of where a two-drone solution can take you.

Select the youtube gear-looking icon and set to 1080HD resolution:

FCC and Industry Canada (IC) authorization has been granted

A link to the FCC website:
CLICK: FCC GRANT

Below is a picture of the approved REDbird 5.8ghz Transceiver Module.
A surface mount module that can be incorporated into various "Host Products":
The first Host Product being the REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater/Controller Device.

Actual size: 15mm x 45mm x 3mm
REDbird Module-15x45x3mm.jpg

Last edited:
Please put up with my video taking up space in my signature for a little bit longer. Just trying to get the word out. This approach separates the ground control and radio uplink points. I've noticed it takes a bit of time for people grab hold of the concept. I'll be toning down my signature soon.

I see... so that is why you asked twice for the same information even though it was bullet item listed the first time.

I knew should have waited a few more weeks until I was issued an FCC grant to quell nay-sayers. But.. I'm a really excited with all my recent field test flights and I want so many others to experience this too.
  • YES.. it is in FCC testing now. Anticipating the TCB to issue the grant by June 1st.
  • YES.. supply chains and production lines are secured.
  • YES.. months of bench and field tests to ensure this product is right.
  • YES.. it has been in development since about this time last year. (from just an idea to a real physical item.) The sheer amount of effort from an RF design, packaging, and software perspective.. along with keeping a day job and a personal life... I would not be posting this now if I was not that close to market.
About FCC and IC Grants:
Pertaining to all the 5.8ghz video transmitter suppliers: (I think only one of them have an FCC grant.) They skirt the system by stating you must have a HAM radio license to use their product but hardly anyone has a license. I could have went that route but I see a lot more potential out there in the main stream market and I choose to do it right the first time.​

This ain't my first rodeo. My profession since the mid 70's is Electronic Design and Development and taking product to production.

An offer to the Prowler ID: if you have a P2V+, perhaps you are interested to field test a unit. I don't have many to spare right now so as long as you test and return it in a timely fashion. You can mount it to a camera tripod along with the DJI WiFi Repeater and test it that way. Cost you nothing as long as you have a camera tripod. Then you can determine how setting in your car or in a shaded area works for you. Or, if you have a second drone, fly both repeaters.

As long as you share your results with this forum. I'll first need to know your equipment assets, flight environment, and basic plan to test. PM me for my phone number.

BTW... my name is Gary Daniels. I live in Columbus Ohio.
Please put up with my video taking up space in my signature for a little bit longer. Just trying to get the word out. This approach separates the ground control and radio uplink points. I've noticed it takes a bit of time for people grab hold of the concept. I'll be toning down my signature soon.

I see... so that is why you asked twice for the same information even though it was bullet item listed the first time.

I knew should have waited a few more weeks until I was issued an FCC grant to quell nay-sayers. But.. I'm a really excited with all my recent field test flights and I want so many others to experience this too.
  • YES.. it is in FCC testing now. Anticipating the TCB to issue the grant by June 1st.
  • YES.. supply chains and production lines are secured.
  • YES.. months of bench and field tests to ensure this product is right.
  • YES.. it has been in development since about this time last year. (from just an idea to a real physical item.) The sheer amount of effort from an RF design, packaging, and software perspective.. along with keeping a day job and a personal life... I would not be posting this now if I was not that close to market.
About FCC and IC Grants:
Pertaining to all the 5.8ghz video transmitter suppliers: (I think only one of them have an FCC grant.) They skirt the system by stating you must have a HAM radio license to use their product but hardly anyone has a license. I could have went that route but I see a lot more potential out there in the main stream market and I choose to do it right the first time.​

This ain't my first rodeo. My profession since the mid 70's is Electronic Design and Development and taking product to production.

An offer to the Prowler ID: if you have a P2V+, perhaps you are interested to field test a unit. I don't have many to spare right now so as long as you test and return it in a timely fashion. You can mount it to a camera tripod along with the DJI WiFi Repeater and test it that way. Cost you nothing as long as you have a camera tripod. Then you can determine how setting in your car or in a shaded area works for you. Or, if you have a second drone, fly both repeaters.

As long as you share your results with this forum. I'll first need to know your equipment assets, flight environment, and basic plan to test. PM me for my phone number.

BTW... my name is Gary Daniels. I live in Columbus Ohio.

i have fc40 phantom will my vision+ remote work on my phantom ill try for shure
Yeah.. I am very curious to know if the Vision+ Upgraded Controller works with an FC40.

If the Upgraded Vision+ controller does not work with the FC40, then that would be a useful advantage for the REDbird device used as a Controller.
( DJI changed their protocol data packet message a bit for the V+ upgraded controller. )​

REDbird Repeater automatically changes into a Controller:
The REDbird Repeater/Controller can act as both a Vision, Vision+, or FC40 Original or Upgraded type Controller using any third party controller that has a trainer output port (e.g. horizon, spektrum, futaba, etc.) .

Just plug in a trainer cable to the REDbird device and it instantly transforms from being a Repeater and becomes a 100% DJI compatible 5.8ghz RC Controller Solution.​

yn
Yeah.. I am very curious to know if the Vision+ Upgraded Controller works with an FC40.

If the Upgraded Vision+ controller does not work with the FC40, then that would be a useful advantage for the REDbird device used as a Controller.
( DJI changed their protocol data packet message a bit for the V+ upgraded controller. )​

REDbird Repeater automatically changes into a Controller:
The REDbird Repeater/Controller can act as both a Vision, Vision+, or FC40 Original or Upgraded type Controller using any third party controller that has a trainer output port (e.g. horizon, spektrum, futaba, etc.) .

Just plug in a trainer cable to the REDbird device and it instantly transforms from being a Repeater and becomes a 100% DJI compatible 5.8ghz RC Controller Solution.​
[/QUOTE I'm interested

So DSB of Itelite has taken his P3P 4 miles downrange so far. Well with this repeater setup, he could have someone setup the repeater 4 miles downrange from him. Then effectively fly his P3P 8 miles out for a new record. Though the battery will not last that long, the concept of it should work. lol!

I could setup the repeater up on my roof or on top of my flag pole and fly from inside the house.

Is that range with your stock repeaters? Can u show some close up pics with your repeaters on a phantom. Like to see them and how they mounted.

Yes... the DJI 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater is stock. No Mods.

I can guarantee you this... it is very easy to fly and manage two drones by yourself.
Once you fly this two-drone system, you will not want to go back to flying just one drone. One drone is way too limiting to where you can go.
Same for mounting it on a camera type tripod (which is super simple to manage).

The mount is not pretty or production worthy (yet).
However, the REDbird Repeater (the black box) is ready.

Repeaters1_20150618.jpg

Repeaters2_20150618.jpg

Repeaters3_20150618.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gary, tomorrow I'll be able to test the repeater at Allapatah flats. As you've said the fastest is mounting on a tripod but my current set up is 2 RE 700's of which one has the ITElite panel. How do I set this up?

Michael, easy. Just mount both repeaters to a camera type tripod. If all else fails then there is always duct tape.
Point the REDbird modules front face towards down range.

Bind the REDbird Repeater to your DJI Controller:
  1. Press the recessed button as you turn on the power.
  2. An LED will turn red.
  3. Then turn on your DJI Controller.
  4. After a few seconds the red LED will turn green indicating the REDbird Repeater is bound to your DJI Controller.

Tripod Mount Field Setup:
If the tripod will stand ontop your car roof or hood, then that will add a bit more height to the repeating system. Or, just put the tripod on the ground. (larger rubber feet on the tripod will help it grip your cars metal surface.)

Then set inside your car while you fly downrange.​

Tilt the drone camera downwards a bit to view more ground than sky. That helps the dynamic contrast adjust to see ground objects better in your video feed.
Good Luck tomorrow (Sunday) with your first test flight !
Please report your findings.​

Fortress Hilljerk - HAM Radio Field Day
West By-God Virginia Mountains

Viewing Instructions:
In the youtube window, select the gear-looking icon and set the video resolution to 1080.
The first three minutes is the flight; the rest shows still pictures.​

To all P2V+ owners:
You are missing out putting a whole new life into what you might think is an out-dated machine.​

Bear501's awesome flight while setting in his air conditioned car.

Made possible using both a REDbird Repeater and a DBS ITELITE Antenna combo.

Just set it ontop your car roof and go:

Last edited:
Why end up hundreds of feet in the air ? Access the Inaccessible.

This flight is a near ground level strafing flight out to about 1.2 miles.
Then flew overtop a river on the way back.

Set the video resolution to 1080 by clicking the gear looking icon:

So, when are these going to be available?
When there is enough interest in the product, then it will go to Kickstarter.com.

Working now to get websites and material together AND ALSO get the first pass firmware working to make this same product become an Advanced Payload Control System for the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1.

Hey Gary, i would do a ground station setup using a tripod and and ITElite panel like in this pic. All i need to do now is a short ufl to RP-SMA connector to the REDBIRD
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438470943.944135.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4