Red tape to help differentiate direction

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has thought to put red tape around the front two vertical legs of the landing gear. Sometimes when flying at a low altitude where I can't see the under lights, it's hard to tell which way is forward and which way is backwards. Putting red tape on the landing gear could help with that. Any thoughts?

Normally, I know which way my Phantom is pointing since I'm in control at all times. If I have any doubts though, I check out the radar at the bottom, left corner of the DJI Pilot app to see which direction my Phantom is pointing. Red tape might help if you're Phantom is close by, but it probably won't help much when you're out a few hundred feet.

Normally, I know which way my Phantom is pointing since I'm in control at all times. If I have any doubts though, I check out the radar at the bottom, left corner of the DJI Pilot app to see which direction my Phantom is pointing. Red tape might help if you're Phantom is close by, but it probably won't help much when you're out a few hundred feet.
You are definitely right about it not helping whenever the drone is far away. I am thinking about when it is fairly nearby. I was practicing doing circles around a trash can in my yard and every now and then the landing, all being white, would throw off my perspective. Maybe it's just me! Haha

Well, add some tape then. It certainly won't hurt anything :)

Reactions: Jogle
It's pretty common thing to do on larger drones. I have red reflective tape on the back of my X8 and white in front. It helps for close range LOS orientation when everything else is symmetrical.

Reactions: Jogle
I had red electrician's tape on the landing gear of my Phantom 1 for exactly those reasons, to help with orientation. It helped a lot since it was my first quadcopter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl