Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

nobody is going to get prosecuted for flying within 75m of a single mouse etc. Unless you wish to translate the law 100% literally (which no court does). Use of the term 'animals' clearly means herds/flocks.

It hasn't obliterated anything, it's moved it out of towns and cities, away from airports and helipads - basically, away from places where irresponsible drone pilots can and do make a nuisance of themselves

nobody is going to get prosecuted for flying within 75m of a single mouse etc. Unless you wish to translate the law 100% literally (which no court does). Use of the term 'animals' clearly means herds/flocks.

It hasn't obliterated anything, it's moved it out of towns and cities, away from airports and helipads - basically, away from places where irresponsible drone pilots can and do make a nuisance of themselves

But this the vast majority of my point...

THINK IT THROUGH.

WORDING MATTERS.

I'm held accountable for wording every day. MOST people are. It's why you're supposed to think before you speak.

It's why law has to go through a process. It's why that process is expected to disseminate these irregularities.

What he did and how he did it makes very little sense and THAT is the basis for the frustration.

People are routinely held accountable for poor wording and bad decisions. I expect more of my government.

I don't want to be forced to join MAAC. I don't fancy being limited to their fields. I got into drones for two reasons: 1) Grew up with model planes and loved flying them, then along came drones. No more playing with the gas needle for that exact right fuel mixture! 2) Videography and photography, the quality of images and video astounds me, better then helicopter shots in the past. I don't fancy photographing and videoing MAAC fields across Canada.

The option of getting your SFOC for videography and photography is always there. It is a process but it is definitely worth it, and it is only there to ensure that the people conducting these operations know every aspect of their operation, and are flying with intent. What Transport Canada does NOT want, is for people to fly on a whim because they think the shot will look nice - without considering all of the factors, and planning accordingly. The SFOC allows for flights inside the city, it is just a way to mitigate risk. There are more than enough people who know nothing about their drones, who take them out of the box and try to fly them without reading the manual, updating the firmware, calibrating the IMU / GPS... etc. Obviously there are lots of people who abide by the rules, thank goodness. The penalties are there to help dissuade people from making poor decisions that put other people at risk.

Reactions: andy_k and Red05
The option of getting your SFOC for videography and photography is always there. It is a process but it is definitely worth it, and it is only there to ensure that the people conducting these operations know every aspect of their operation, and are flying with intent. What Transport Canada does NOT want, is for people to fly on a whim because they think the shot will look nice - without considering all of the factors, and planning accordingly. The SFOC allows for flights inside the city, it is just a way to mitigate risk. There are more than enough people who know nothing about their drones, who take them out of the box and try to fly them without reading the manual, updating the firmware, calibrating the IMU / GPS... etc. Obviously there are lots of people who abide by the rules, thank goodness. The penalties are there to help dissuade people from making poor decisions that put other people at risk.
21 days at least for SFOC and only good for one flight , then another 21 days , rinse and repeat :mad::mad:

21 days at least for SFOC and only good for one flight , then another 21 days , rinse and repeat :mad::mad:

Fortunately, that is not the case. A standing SFOC for an entire Transport Canada region for the length of 1 year is possible to apply for. You will need to identify how you will mitigate risk in various situations, but the days of the 1-use SFOC are behind us. We hold standing SFOCs in the PNR, Ontario and Atlantic regions. You'll just have to do a little leg work first, but it's not that difficult.

Reactions: Red05 and andy_k
No but you had to get a licence, insurance and abide by laws that some people would call draconian - so, another one of your seriously flawed analogies.

Nice. Keep it civil. I haven't insulted you yet but a lot of your analogies make it easy to want to. In fact I haven't even referred directly to you yet, just to keep everything objective.

You keep missing the point... those are LAWS. This is ONE MAN deciding he CAN'T SLEEP.

I have no issue with laws that are enacted properly. Am I not saying it right?

No, you keep saying the same thing and i understand that but.........the interim measure has been passed for whatever reason so (for the time being at least) it is enforceable.

Now, whilst there seem to be several options available, none of which seem to suit you. I'm not seeing protests in the street about this measure or any international outrage which suggests that the vast majority of Canadians either support it or just don't give a ****.

Now is the time you should be lobbying your politicians like I've said before (maybe I'm not saying that right) rather than complaining on internet forums. So far, all your posts have been negatives - work together with other people and start to make a difference.

Or, just carry on what you are doing - it's obviously very effective

Nice. Keep it civil. I haven't insulted you yet but a lot of your analogies make it easy to want to. In fact I haven't even referred directly to you yet, just to keep everything objective.

You keep missing the point... those are LAWS. This is ONE MAN deciding he CAN'T SLEEP.

I have no issue with laws that are enacted properly. Am I not saying it right?

The Canadian Aviation Regulation Advisory Council (CARAC) is involved in the process for enacting new rules, regulations and legislation. I've received several emails from them alerting members to plenary council meetings to discuss proposed changes. If you would like to become a member of CARAC, you can request to be included in the discussions by emailing them with your interest.

Though Mr. Garneau was the one announcing the new laws, rest assured, he was definitely not the only one involved in the process...

The Canadian Aviation Regulation Advisory Council (CARAC) is involved in the process for enacting new rules, regulations and legislation. I've received several emails from them alerting members to plenary council meetings to discuss proposed changes. If you would like to become a member of CARAC, you can request to be included in the discussions by emailing them with your interest.

Though Mr. Garneau was the one announcing the new laws, rest assured, he was definitely not the only one involved in the process...

Done. Thank you.

Reactions: M3aerial
No, you keep saying the same thing and i understand that but.........the interim measure has been passed for whatever reason so (for the time being at least) it is enforceable.

Now, whilst there seem to be several options available, none of which seem to suit you. I'm not seeing protests in the street about this measure or any international outrage which suggests that the vast majority of Canadians either support it or just don't give a ****.

Now is the time you should be lobbying your politicians like I've said before (maybe I'm not saying that right) rather than complaining on internet forums. So far, all your posts have been negatives - work together with other people and start to make a difference.

Or, just carry on what you are doing - it's obviously very effective

My mistake. I thought Internet forums were for sharing thoughts.

I don't expect anything to come of what I post here, I'm simply sharing conversation with those who have similar interests... as little as I feel it necessary to explain that to you or anyone else.

I submit that my posts are objective and rational. How you choose to interpret them is your prerogative.

You make an excellent point with this post;

Had Mr. Garneau delivered his message quoting HALF of what you said here this would have been an entirely different conversation.

Quite frankly, I'm not at all concerned with his sleeping habits, but I am deeply interested in what The Canadian Aviation Regulation Advisory Council has to say.

Reactions: M3aerial
Hello together. I hope nobody is offended with my poor writing / wording, because I know only basic English.

Reading through most of this posts and the new regulations, I do miss one point, actually nobody mentioned. Yes the "big player" DJI was mentioned. How about all the job's and businesses in Canada get lost because Canadians won't buy anymore drones? I do agree that there must be some regulations in place. My P3 pro I bought last year has actually 0 hours flight time because of DJI's stupid sales team. (Long story). A replacement for my new broken drone was sent out too late by the end of October and with all the stress involved, I didn't use it at all. What would be the estimate of stores and job loses in Canada? Any information if store owners will go against this regulations so far? I don't know how much money is involved to open for example a DJI store. But I am sure that it will ruin a persons life if he has no customers for his products. Anyway. I am sure that regulations should be in place. Especially close to airports. We all will see how it will effect the hobby industry here in Canada. I am absolutely sure that the newly opened DJI store in the WEM mall in Edmonton will close in no time if the customers don't show up anymore.

Fortunately, that is not the case. A standing SFOC for an entire Transport Canada region for the length of 1 year is possible to apply for. You will need to identify how you will mitigate risk in various situations, but the days of the 1-use SFOC are behind us. We hold standing SFOCs in the PNR, Ontario and Atlantic regions. You'll just have to do a little leg work first, but it's not that difficult.

Thank you very much for this information. Would you have a template / example letter? They state there is no formal application form:
Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 - Transport Canada

What other supporting documents do you submit? I'll be looking at a blanket SFOC.

Thank you very much for this information. Would you have a template / example letter? They state there is no formal application form:
Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 - Transport Canada

What other supporting documents do you submit? I'll be looking at a blanket SFOC.

This is where Transport Canada is failing... they have different applications for each region, which makes it a pain to apply for SFOCs in different regions. The Prairie Northern Region has a nice, simplified application form that requires you to read and check boxes for a good portion of it. It's quite an improvement since last year!

My company offers ground school training, which is a requirement by Transport Canada to get an SFOC. We're obviously not the only ones that offer it, but I think ours is the best ;) You can see more information about our course at m3aerial.com

My company offers ground school training, which is a requirement by Transport Canada to get an SFOC. We're obviously not the only ones that offer it, but I think ours is the best ;) You can see more information about our course at m3aerial.com

This is exactly one of my concerns, as I have mentioned in another post. Self interest persons and companies are encouraging an increased rigidity of the rules for their own gain and profit; are willing to mislead for the purpose of keeping you grounded; and maintain an "ah and fear" that you are not adequately trained.

Quote from Transport Canada: "We do not approve UAV training organizations or recognize certificates for UAV operations."

I would suggest that M3 find another forum for his ads. Transport Canada also provides any required learning material on line, for free.

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Last edited:
Easy tiger. The requirement for completion of Ground School training is a non-negotiable from Transport Canada if you want to apply for an SFOC (or if you would like to operate under one of the two exemptions). We are on a list of registered education providers with Transport Canada. There is no misleading information here from my end. There are many options, as I stated. You are an aggressive cat. Of course I'm going to advocate for people to abide by the rules. I do offer this training to my students for free, by the way. Drone club takes off with Winnipeg students.

Easy tiger. The requirement for completion of Ground School training is a non-negotiable from Transport Canada if you want to apply for an SFOC (or if you would like to operate under one of the two exemptions). We are on a list of registered education providers with Transport Canada. There is no misleading information here from my end. There are many options, as I stated. You are an aggressive cat. Of course I'm going to advocate for people to abide by the rules. I do offer this training to my students for free, by the way. Drone club takes off with Winnipeg students.

Oh come on ! This is the second time you posted your video. I will repeat; Transport Canada provides all learning material on line for free. Transport does not approve UAV training organizations or recognize certificates for UAV operations. Anyone can go to Transport's web page and get all the information required to get a SFOC.

Getting permission to fly your drone - Transport Canada

This forum is for people who want to see safe, sensible and common sense laws in place, so that they can use their drones safely. Most will never require a SFOC, and how to obtain one is no secret and all info, including learning material, can be found on the Transport web pages.

Without Prejustice: You may have liabled yourself in your last post.

Last edited:
I see that you've posted the Transport Canada guidelines twice, and if you will notice, you will see that the document they provide is called the "Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems, 25 kg or Less, Operated Within Visual Line of Sight" (TP 15263E). This is not the learning materials. This is an outline of what you need to know.

upload_2017-4-7_15-54-6.png

"The pilot must be trained to understand:"

upload_2017-4-7_15-58-47.png

As I said, Transport Canada outlines what you need to know, but they don't provide you with the materials. Thank you for helping me make my point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor