Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

Yes, whether people agree with the new regulations or not, they are still legally bound by them in the meantime. (IN CANADA) People didn't want to switch to metric, and many still haven't, but the youth have made the switch and now the imperial system is largely forgotten by the younger generations. Any time new regulations are brought in, it will result in backlash... It makes sense, people don't like change, and they don't like when the fun is spoiled...

If you wish to fight it, go right ahead, everyone is free to object to regulation. For all others, enjoy the flow of seeing where this new industry is headed, that's my recommendation!

Last edited:
Reactions: andy_k
wise words :)

We've seen what 'de-regulated' drone flying looked like and quite frankly a lot of it isn't pretty - because people wouldn't abide by the rules that were in place the authorities will always feel the need to make more - that's the way the world works.

In my opinion every single person that has flown stupidly, liked a video where someone has flown stupidly, ignored range and height limits because in their opinion it didn't matter and people who've posted stupid comments like 'here comes the drone police' when their actions were questioned are the ones that are responsible for these new rules we will all have to face! My 'top tip'? Go find these people and tell them how much you appreciate their efforts :D

Also well said Andy-k. Even in our ultra individualistic USA, I cannot understand folks who insist on ignoring rules which are so obviously logical and designed for the protection of everyone involved! And, yes, of course, such an attitude is surely an invitation for the bureaucracy to add to the burden of rules. Too many people just will not adhere to the word "sensible."

Reactions: andy_k
I have to admit I find it somewhat fascinating, among other adjectives, that there is more of a sentiment of "just accept it and move on, don't fight the man" than I expected.

I am the furthest thing from an activist there is, after all I'm Canadian... but the actions taken by our transport minister, along with the rationality, just aren't sound, and decidedly undemocratic.

I don't dispute that a drone CAN pose a hazard. But the odds, both statistically and realistically just don't support the actions taken. We don't have the air congestion, the population base, the drone concentration, nor (arguably) the occurrence ratio to support such drastic measures.

There comes a point that whether it's drones or balloon animals, inordinate unilateral decisions SHOULD be legitimately and responsibly questioned in a free and democratic society.

If you wish to fight it, go right ahead, everyone is free to object to regulation. For all others, enjoy the flow of seeing where this new industry is headed, that's my recommendation!

Thanks M3, for the very condescending remark !

Last edited:
Marc Garneau was the head of the Canadian Space Agency. I trust that he has analyzed the risks to make an informed decision, and that he's not just out there to ruin people's fun... I wasn't trying to be condescending, though naturally, having the view that contradicts such passionate opposition to the new legislation is going to bother those people. Some will agree and some will disagree with me, that's fine. What I'm interested in is spreading awareness of #Drones4Crohns! Taking the photographic passion of drone users to help raise money for Chrons and Colitis research and treatment programs. www.drones4crohns.com

It's not the law makers obliterating the hobby it's idiots like this you should be addressing your anger towards

Drone crashes into Seattle Space Needle tower - CNN Video

People like that are the ones destroying the hobby, them and their idiotic friends that defend their actions, like their Youtube videos, encourage them on Facebook groups and call every single incident 'fake news'.

Sadly, the authorities had to do something and if it moves hobby drone flying out of cities, towns, congested areas and away from people there are no downsides.

[QUOTE="andy_k, post: 1151854, member: 84116"
People like that are the ones destroying the hobby, them and their idiotic friends that defend their actions, like their Youtube videos, encourage them on Facebook groups and call every single incident 'fake news'.
/QUOTE]

Yes. I agree.

BUT, the point is, there will ALWAYS be those people, regardless of restriction, regulation or law. New laws, constrictive regulations, and anything less than (maybe even) outright ban won't stop that.

So should cars have been restricted to the point of obliteration when the first one hit a horse?

Why are cell phones not banned in moving cars?

Why was prohibition repealed? Was alcohol suddenly deemed a positive influence? Or was it just the will of the people? How many alcohol related deaths have there been since then?

Why is marijuana being legalized? Why is marijuana being legalized before there is a reliable means of roadside impairment testing?

Should we ban Doritos and Coke and cigarettes and skydiving too?

How many smoking related deaths have there been since the invention of smoking tobacco?

When does freedom become overtaken by legislation?

The answer is when we let it.

Last edited:
Weren't cars originally restricted by having someone walking in front of them waving a red flag?
Use of cell phones in a moving vehicle is banned in many countries without a hands free system.
Prohibition was repealed because it wasn't working
Marijuana may be legal at state level but as far as i know it's use/possession is still a federal offence which the current incumbents of the whitehouse seem quite keen to strengthen their position on.
I've not seen anybody regularly sky-diving over town centres - if they do something stupid it usually means they are going to die.
How many people have tried to sue governments and tobacco companies?
etc etc etc

There is a big difference between taking your freedom away and telling you that because there is a problem you have to play nicely.

I'll repeat again, it's nobody else's fault, drone pilots themselves are the ones that has caused the problem, they are to blame 100%
Model flyers have been rubbing along nicely with the authorities for decades without any need for more legislation, interference from government and local authorities because they behaved sensibly and realised that flying a model aircraft of any description was a privilege not a right and that the best way to maintain the status quo was to not behave like idiots.

Reactions: M3aerial
BUT, the point is, there will ALWAYS be those people, regardless of restriction, regulation or law. New laws, constrictive regulations, and anything less than (maybe even) outright ban won't stop that.

just like there will always be drunk drivers, drug dealers etc - there are people that will continually disregard laws but......when all the rest are abiding by the rules the ones who aren't are a lot easier to pick out.

By bringing in strict laws it will also (inevitably) result in the law abiding flyers joining in the reporting of illegal flyers - much the same as many drink drivers get caught because somebody has phoned the police and let them know.

I suspect that after the dust has settled a little some of the regulations will get relaxed but I still can't see any sense in wanting to fly a quadcopter with no 'redundancy' should a motor/prop fail over a city full of people so banning flying in those areas makes a lot of sense.

We can poke holes in each other's thoughts all day, but the primary difference is that some seem to be suggesting that we should accept the restrictions as necessary, and I am simply asking WHY.

I want to know WHY these restrictions on this hobby were necessary to this degree, and WHY we should accept a unilateral decision to that effect when statistics do not support the conclusion, especially comparatively to many other aspects of "life and law".

A guy with a red flag is a modern traffic light. Nothing wrong with rules, just not obliteration.

Marijuana use, possession and even growing your own will be legal in Canada July 1, 2017.

480,000 people will die from cigarette smoke this year INCLUDING those from second hand smoke and no fault of their own (CDC.gov)

Many studies have shown the danger is not the hands on the cell phones, it's the distraction of the interaction with it.

Prohibition wasn't working?! Why?! Case in point.

People may not sky dive over towns but the planes that carry them there fly right over my house, as does every other plane that takes off out of YOW.

ETC...

Again, the problem exists purely because of drone pilots - who else would you like to see penalised in law?
Why does the word 'obliteration' keep cropping up? There must be plenty of places in Canada where flying is still perfectly legal - the hobby hasn't been obliterated it's been regulated before accidents happen.

What did you think would happen as drone usage grows rapidly every year? You tell us how you would have dealt with the ever increasing number of incidents and stupid flying?

Making analogies to commercial aircraft is seriously clutching at straws.

If you don't like what your politicians are doing - get rid of them but complaining on forums and social media that 'it's not fair' isn't going to get anything done is it? Whatever actions you take need to be unified (I mentioned this before but that didn't suit you either) rather than just lots of individuals all starting their own thread :)

You've got the legislation now so work at ways to get it removed/watered down, or just carry on as you are, it doesn't really matter does it?

You could always join the MAAC - they are exempt from the rules :)

Reactions: M3aerial
Maybe I should be more clear...

Once any or all restrictions have been read into LAW, through the formal, proper and democratic process of two readings in the house and then ascension, I will no longer have the issues that a single man's unilateral decision have created.

I will be confident that due process was followed and I will abide by the law as written as I do every other law that was enacted fairly, and with due diligence.

Until then, this is NOT what I expect in a democratic society.

And for the record, I use the word "obliterate" because staying 75m away from a building, road, car, person, ANIMAL, ETC. virtually "obliterates".

Again, the problem exists purely because of drone pilots - who else would you like to see penalised in law?
Why does the word 'obliteration' keep cropping up? There must be plenty of places in Canada where flying is still perfectly legal - the hobby hasn't been obliterated it's been regulated before accidents happen.

What did you think would happen as drone usage grows rapidly every year? You tell us how you would have dealt with the ever increasing number of incidents and stupid flying?

Making analogies to commercial aircraft is seriously clutching at straws.

If you don't like what your politicians are doing - get rid of them but complaining on forums and social media that 'it's not fair' isn't going to get anything done is it? Whatever actions you take need to be unified (I mentioned this before but that didn't suit you either) rather than just lots of individuals all starting their own thread :)

You've got the legislation now so work at ways to get it removed/watered down, or just carry on as you are, it doesn't really matter does it?

You could always join the MAAC - they are exempt from the rules :)

I don't want to be forced to join MAAC. I don't fancy being limited to their fields. I got into drones for two reasons: 1) Grew up with model planes and loved flying them, then along came drones. No more playing with the gas needle for that exact right fuel mixture! 2) Videography and photography, the quality of images and video astounds me, better then helicopter shots in the past. I don't fancy photographing and videoing MAAC fields across Canada.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
You tell us how you would have dealt with the ever increasing number of incidents and stupid flying?

Enforce the rules that ALREADY exist. Not simply make more, with no more of less of a change.

Anyone can be charged with reckless endangerment for anything at any time, whether it's throwing a baseball bat in the air or a drone.

Reactions: lb650

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164