Recommended Tablet & Accessories of Phantom 3 Professional

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted on the general forum & was advised that this is a better forum for my question.

I'm a total newbie to drones & to DJI, but have a Phantom 3 Pro and Black Pearl RC801 (2015, 32 channel) on the way and am excited to learn how to use it.

I just learned form a user that the BP RC801 is not necessary (or even usable(?)) with the Phantom 3 & that a tablet is what I need.

If anyone can recommend a tablet, or specs for a tablet, & what accessories are needed (& recommended), I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll read up on the thread "Which Tablet Device Is Recommended" in the mean time. I

I do have an iPad mini already... don't want to commit it to this setup, but maybe it could be used to start?

Thanks a lot!

DPG

PS: Is it correct that the Phantom 3 has a 2,000 meter range?

Great, thanks a lot!!

I'm going to pull the trigger tonight - either an iPad Air 2, or Ipad Mini 2.

Next questions, please:
  • Sounds like it's personal preference re. the size (min vs. not mini) (?)
  • 16gb storage is plenty?
  • Accessories - probably should get at least s hood?
  • None others needed?
  • Any others recommended?
  • Any other thoughts?

APPRECIATED!!

Great, thanks a lot!!

I'm going to pull the trigger tonight - either an iPad Air 2, or Ipad Mini 2.

Next questions, please:
  • Sounds like it's personal preference re. the size (min vs. not mini) (?)
  • 16gb storage is plenty?
  • Accessories - probably should get at least s hood?
  • None others needed?
  • Any others recommended?
  • Any other thoughts?

APPRECIATED!!
I find the size of the mini2 is perfect. Plenty big enough to fly with. My Ipad air adds too much weight and bulk to the controller. My mini I got just for the Phantom 3 so 16gb is fine for me.. I don't load any other apps on it.

A 16GB iPad Mini 2 will be plenty if you're just going to use it for your Phantom and do not plan to record video to your iPad Mini. It's recommended that you do not record video there since it can slow down the iPad Mini.

I'd recommend you skip the hood for now and get some ND lens filters instead. You'll want an ND8 and ND16. Get an ND4 too if you can get three.

Also, you might want to upgrade the remote controller tablet mount. See more about that here:

HOW TO: Fix unstable tablet mount | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
That's helpful, thanks a lot AcBrian.

At this point I'm leaning twds the iPad Mini 2, 16gb, no cellular capability.

Any & all thoughts on this much appreciated!

As well as re. my ?'s on accessories.

Cheers!

The air2 is what I use. the larger screen is a real pleasure, easy to see menus, it is not that heavy, use a neck strap. If you get the air2 get the Inspire tablet mount, makes it rock steady. For me that was way better than the mini. My interest is the photography and video aspect.

Alan

msinger - what is a good device to record the video to? Simple external hard drive ?

Knight Flier - very good point! Probably worth the extra hundred dollars to have The cellular option - you agree?
We will be using this in remote locations frequently.

Thanks!!!!!!

Thanks Alan!

Hmmmmm; good points. That could persuade me.
I wonder what is more commonly used, mini vs "regular" sized?

We are largely using this to survey remote land holdings; mostly virgin, some cultivated, in Latin America.

Do people typically download the video post flight? To a laptop?
Or...?

Thanks a lot for entertaining all of my newbie questions!!

Getting down to the minutiae, thanks to you all.

I have ordered a filter kit (thanks, msinger) - how important do you all think that a shade hood is for the iPad Air 2? I see one for about $40 + expedited shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink®-Compatible-Professional-Advanced-Transmitter/dp/B00O6AY86C

Also, still love to hear thoughts on what's needed / recommended for downloading video (what to, etc).

I'll happily post the entirety of what I purchased when all is finalized - end of day tomorrow or so.

Thanks!!

I'm very happy using my iPad Air 2 because of the large format making it so easy to see the video or Google Earth photo details as I fly. I don't have cellular capability because I don't move my flying area around, and have my 2 google map areas already downloaded. 16 Gb on the iPad should be fine, unless you want to download a lot of videos and store them on the iPad.
As for a hood on the iPad--absolutely necessary!! Or you have to stand in the shade of a tree or something else.

Getting down to the minutiae, thanks to you all.

I have ordered a filter kit (thanks, msinger) - how important do you all think that a shade hood is for the iPad Air 2? I see one for about $40 + expedited shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink®-Compatible-Professional-Advanced-Transmitter/dp/B00O6AY86C

Also, still love to hear thoughts on what's needed / recommended for downloading video (what to, etc).

I'll happily post the entirety of what I purchased when all is finalized - end of day tomorrow or so.

Thanks!!
Just a thought, after looking at the Hood choice in your link. That is an all black outside and inside. Inside for sure should be black but I would try to get a white exterior so as not to be inviting the heat into your device.

Thanks Alan!

Hmmmmm; good points. That could persuade me.
I wonder what is more commonly used, mini vs "regular" sized?

We are largely using this to survey remote land holdings; mostly virgin, some cultivated, in Latin America.

Do people typically download the video post flight? To a laptop?
Or...?

Thanks a lot for entertaining all of my newbie questions!!

If you are doing surveys and not trying to do "cinematic" type shots then you do not really need the ND filters but they are nice to have. What the ND filter is doing is lowering in the incoming light to get a slower shutter speed so that there is some natural looking blurring between frames and it makes the video less "crunchy" looking and smoother. Depends on what you are doing with it. You would download after the flight, the high resolution images are stored on the micro sd card. I replaced the 16gb one that comes with with a 64gb high speed version, and keep the 16gb card as a backup. The high speed card gives you faster download times on your computer. Don't forget when getting out at longer distance it is very much "line of sight" for the signal, so further out requires higher altitude if there is a lot of obstructions like trees etc. Key is practice a lot when you get it.

Alan

Excellent information. I didn't see this thread before I posted one similar to it of my own. Uh oh ! ! ! :)

Agreed, BigA107!!

Very excellent information, and an extremely helpful community. Huge gratitude on my end for everyones time & advice!!

Screenshots below of the total kit that I purchased.

I went with the iPad Air 2, 16gb w/ cellular (thanks Knight Flier), & upgraded the mount & got a strap (thanks Alan) & a hood (thanks Tulsa).

I was tasked with purchasing this last minute, before flying to Latin America (tonight). I wanted to get all that we needed, since it's harder to buy / ship once I'm down there, and I certainly could not of done it without all of the help.

I'll check later posts for any comments regarding my purchase thus far, and look forward to learning to work this thing! I anticipate a whole lot of discussion reading in my near future, and likely several posts...

Thanks again!!

Cheers!!
DG

PS: Signals - I took your advice & found a hood that's light colored on the exterior (below; hard to tell from the image though)

0.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
6.jpg
2.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg

Device holder question: I just received this DJI device holder, Part 45 (linked & pasted at bottom), but I think I may need a bigger one to use with the iPad Air 2?

Some reviews are saying that it JUST fits with the iPad Air 2, but do you suggest I try to find a bigger one? If so, any suggestions? I do see a bigger one listed for the Inspire 1...

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TL90A1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

DJI Original Inspire 1 Quadcopter Mobile Device Holder Part 45 Smartphone Tablet Clamp Mount for Transmitter (Radio Controller)

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 1.32.49 PM.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20