Don't like it. Seems there's nothing truly securing anything. Microraptor backpack has it beat

Don't like it. Seems there's nothing truly securing anything. Microraptor backpack has it beat
All of the dividers can be moved. Mine took quite a bit of adjusting to hold the P4 tightly

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That Microraptor backpack uses a foam cutout insert. There is no room to fit anything else.
The materials look cheap, you can't carry a tripod, there is no lock, no rain cover, nothing for extra equipment such as a laptop, camera, bottle of water or small tools.

And the backpack doesn't fit in the carry on dimensions for airlines.
I do NOT want to check in my luggage.
No foam cut out + carry on > foam cut out + tossed around by underpaid and negligent staff.

I have this bag and love it but feel that it puts pressure 0n the motors - the zipper has already left some scuffs on my motor. Also, not enough foam dividers.

Reactions: jmkreege
You guys should consider the Think Tank Helipak backpack, I haven't seen anything I like better, and I've seen a lot of them at shows, friends, meetups. The Helipak has lots of room, airline compliant, and it has separate compartments for the batteries, which is essential when traveling on airplanes. The Polar Pro photo that shows the batteries touching each other is taboo airlines. The FAA specifies "individual battery protection", meaning they should have their own compartment so nothing can touch them, like a loose paperclip (often used to link RC's), or a small screwdriver, etc.

The Helipak is reconfigurable, it fits Phantom 1 through 4. It's got so much extra room I can even throw in a point an shoot SX50 camera along my Marco Polo tracker, with room to spare. The lid can hold a laptop, tablet, sunshade, props, and SD cards. The Helipak is a high quality pack. I like it because of:
1. lots of room.
2. fits my P3 and P4
3. has a waistbelt and very comfortable shoulder belts, great on long hikes.
4. has grab 2 handles, one on the top and one on the side
5. reconfigurable walls with velcro ends
6. comes with rain jacket cover (blue pouch on right)
7. price just reduced to $200 when buying direct
8. Holds modified RCs with Itelite or FPVLR antenna setups without removing the antenna.
9. No pressure on the motors. I use the same domed motor covers on my P4 also, plenty of room for those.
10. There is no writing or logos on that outside that's obvious to say..... "Hey everyone, I'm carrying a drone".

This below is a TT website photo using a Phantpom STANDARD, but you can see where everything can go.

upload_2016-6-16_16-14-51.png

upload_2016-6-16_16-21-0.png

Side note:
Pro craft makes one very similar to the Helipak for $120, but it has only one grab handle. I've never seen that one in person, but it looks almost like a clone of the Helipak. The photos I've seen makes it look a little less rigid and sturdy than the Helipak, so I would still pick the Helipak, as the quality is great and they didn't forget a thing.

Last edited:
You guys should consider the Think Tank Helipak backpack, I haven't seen anything I like better, and I've seen a lot of them at shows, friends, meetups. The Helipak has lots of room, airline compliant, and it has separate compartments for the batteries, which is essential when traveling on airplanes. The Polar Pro photo that shows the batteries touching each other is taboo airlines. The FAA specifies "individual battery protection", meaning they should have their own compartment so nothing can touch them, like a loose paperclip (often used to link RC's), or a small screwdriver, etc.

The Helipak is reconfigurable, it fits Phantom 1 through 4. It's got so much extra room I can even throw in a point an shoot SX50 camera along my Marco Polo tracker, with room to spare. The lid can hold a laptop, tablet, sunshade, props, and SD cards. The Helipak is a high quality pack. I like it because of:
1. lots of room.
2. fits my P3 and P4
3. has a waistbelt and very comfortable shoulder belts, great on long hikes.
4. has grab 2 handles, one on the top and one on the side
5. reconfigurable walls with velcro ends
6. comes with rain jacket cover (blue pouch on right)
7. price just reduced to $200 when buying direct
8. Holds modified RCs with Itelite or FPVLR antenna setups without removing the antenna.
9. No pressure on the motors. I use the same domed motor covers on my P4 also, plenty of room for those.
10. There is no writing or logos on that outside that's obvious to say..... "Hey everyone, I'm carrying a drone".

This below is a TT website photo using a Phantpom STANDARD, but you can see where everything can go.

View attachment 57227
View attachment 57228

Side note:
Pro craft makes one very similar to the Helipak for $120, but it has only one grab handle. I've never seen that one in person, but it looks almost like a clone of the Helipak. The photos I've seen makes it look a little less rigid and sturdy than the Helipak, so I would still pick the Helipak, as the quality is great and they didn't forget a thing.
I really want to love this and have it be my backpack - I just wish there was SOME way to attach my tripod to it! :(

b9349b954f406c7b9832199f3066a894.jpg

7c8f4bd6aa68a71cf5c48903048136d8.jpg

30ed6250f212beb25573466fdbb4726f.jpg

a8ac741c416e53eb9b342fcf0b18147f.jpg

e585a446f3bd5bf7af821464597c1d2b.jpg

56f537502418057da64a17a607244472.jpg

Ok got this bag pretty quickly since I'm in AZ. I wanted to share my setup right now and some thoughts. First is that I actually expected the bag to be bigger since it claims to hold so much. It's actually designed pretty well. My first impression was that it will seem to protect well. Some people brought up some concerns that the motor might break with the weight. I have the same concerns and so I will be buying the motor guards.

Amazingly with this setup I had 5 lenses and my dslr. I really wanted something to be able to accommodate my dslr and laptop because otherwise I have another backpack full of lenses when I'm traveling in addition to a drone backpack. It all fit well. I did have some spare dividers from my other bags that I used but overall I'm impressed with the fit. I dislike that I have to remove my lens from my Canon 60d body for convenience but it'll have to do.

I asked previously if a 15" MacBook retina fits in the pocket or the zipper area...it actually does for both but it's tight and one drop of bump could dent a corner. It definitely is designed for a smaller laptop and I wish they would have accommodated a 15" but oh well. With the Phantom packed with my dslr and lenses (I have a p3 by the way) the front pocket where you supposed to keep your laptop and other stuff is a little tight.

I haven't seen a TSA backpack lock before and I'm unfamiliar with it. It definitely is a nice add on. Practically I doubt that this will/should be checked on a plane. For everyday use with a lock the mechanism is a little finicky. You have to carefully place both zippers in the lock and line them both up before you release the trigger.

I appreciate the extra pocket on the side, 2 water bottle holsters, and a pocket in the waste strap. I hope to use this hiking and so now I can carry a big water bottle without worrying.

Overall it's a 4/5.

Reasons why it's not a 5
*should provide a few more extra dividers
*motor will have some pressure on it
*Front compartment doesn't hold much

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: TheGman
I really want to love this and have it be my backpack - I just wish there was SOME way to attach my tripod to it! :(
If the tripod is important to you, then the ProCraft clone to the Helipak may be a better fit. It's got the tripod strap. I personally don't take tripods with me, I like to pack light for longer hikes. If I really needed a tripod, a carbine connected to the top grab handle with a bungee cord around the pack would suffice.

a8ac741c416e53eb9b342fcf0b18147f.jpg

Reasons why it's not a 5
*should provide a few more extra dividers
*motor will have some pressure on it
*Front compartment doesn't hold much
Another reason is it doesn't appear to have individual compartments for all your batteries. FAA requires "individual protection" for batteries so they can't get damaged or short on something metal. It's not a good ideal to store batteries in a place where other items can potentially damage the battery.

Another reason is it doesn't appear to have individual compartments for all your batteries. FAA requires "individual protection" for batteries so they can't get damaged or short on something metal. It's not a good ideal to store batteries in a place where other items can potentially damage the battery.
Put batteries in socks, easily solved

I have never had an issue with airlines and my camera batteries or any others, individually or together stored in my luggage (touch wood)

Last edited:
What they dont want is you to toss a bunch of spare camera batteries in a pile of quarters in the bottom of your bag. Put tape on the terminals. They swab them normally and say have a nice day.

As I live in Europe and I would have to pay customs for the polarpro + expensive shipment, I've just ordered the one in banggood...

I will let you know when it arrives !

Last edited:
That thing is obsurdly big for no reason and good luck getting a dslr in it too...also $250? No thanks.

I understand you. I got it on amazon for 199$ that had an offer. I travelled from the states to mazatlan then cancun and it was perfect even with the hard top i was worried. And its smaller than a carry on bag. 200$ to protect a 1700$ investment ( extra batteries) for me its worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I went on Amazon today and Purchased the Polar Pro Back pack. And then saw this .. Looks pretty close but im sure there are some differences. For the 38 shipped price tag I went ahead and ordered it to. Might be returning to Amazon after comparisson

It's definitely not the same bag - the profile is different. It looks like it has many similar features, however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.