recap summer flights

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/80249273

I have been flying the phantom since mid may! Here is a compilation of my flights Most of it taken with the phantomount x2 wide and some with the Arris cm2000

i have an extra Phantomount (2 months old, I got it in July) and new in box extra servo. Any reasonable offer accepted
Enjoy the video

www.theflyingcameras.com

xstatic said:
http://vimeo.com/75280932

I have been flying the phantom since mid may! Here is a compilation of my flights Most of it taken with the phantomount x2 wide and some with the Arris cm2000

i have an extra Phantomount (2 months old, I got it in July) and new in box extra servo. Any reasonable offer accepted
Enjoy the video

MY GOD.... Please, please don't tell me you were flying in restricted airspace! That private jet at 0:30 appears to be on final approach and you are flying a few hundred feet away from it !

It was at the summer cottage. They use the small airport to land planes that take tourist etc to Mt Tremblant lodge. I was not in his flightpath, as he comes in down the centre of the lake. I was at the very side just at the shore! So I was not in his path!
He was quite a distance away over 3000 feet away

3000 ft!?!?

An airport landing a (jet) air place of that size is either class C (large commercial) or class D (small commuter) airspace.

Class C airspace is 10 nautical miles restricted / 3000 foot altitude.
Class D airspace is 5 nautical miles restricted / 3000 foot altitude.

5 nautical miles is about 9km.

Honestly your best bet is to take this video down or edit it out, because what you did is:

a) Illegal.
b) Dangerous (forget your Phantom - there are humans on that airplane)
b) Looks really bad for the hobby because of a) and b)

How far away was the airport? FAA says more than 3 miles from airport no higher than 400 feet and must be line of site.

i am a student pilot and if anyone flew a RC close to my aircraft it would freak me out. the guy flying the RC may have no training and could create a dangerous situation with me and my aircraft.

the first time we have a close call or an RC strike with an aircraft and a phantom it is going to be bad for all of us.

Be safe stay away from other aircraft and watch for those on the deck choppers, twice now here in Southern CA flying in a local parks i had to drop my phantom quickly to avoid a low flying chopper.

Calm down Boys, that is in the Quebec Bubble, don't you know international rules don't apply there :roll: :lol:

Even if there are not local rules to break, common sense says about not to fly as near as shown to any aircrat that could risking people in it :shock:

jumanoc said:
Even if there are not local rules to break, common sense says about not to fly as near as shown to any aircrat that could risking people in it :shock:

I was being Facetious

Good location on previous photo
I am just below the bottom of the red pentagon. You can see the white pier just going into the water. that is the front of the house.
I was flying with the copter over land above the house in gps mode. the plane was at least half way. across the water. in the video he seems more like 3/4 across the water when he lowers his altitude

i knew not to be in his path, but thanks for the info in the previous posts about the distance limitations, a good rule of thumb to follow

I just followed the yellow approach lne and from that it would put him even closer! I will keep away from airports!

If you could be so kind as to take that video down and remove the offending portions.

I'm sure you've learned your lesson, but the last thing the hobby needs is some overzealous regulator or politician seeing something like that and thinking this is a public menace that simply must be legislated against.

Any video from an rc helicoptor that has an airport in the footage getting put up online is just stupid!

I would be taking it down (and possibly even asking the mods to deleted/remove/hide this thread from view public (and indexing bots!!!) before it get traced back to you!

Disclaimer: I'm not perfect, I fly in some questionable areas! But never would I put the video into the public domain.

justsomeguy said:
It's only a matter of time before someone loses control and there's a big backlash by the media/politicians.

What was this guy thinking?

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2869

Actually, UAVs have been operating at NFL games for a few years! I'm not sure about baseball games etc, but I think you'll find the stadiums have permission to operate UAVs, so someone standing in the stadium with one or controlling one shouldn't draw much attention from authorities!

That said, I doubt he was associated with the stadium.

Flying near airports = no no
Flying in stadiums = its happening almost weekly anyway

justsomeguy said:
Driffill said:
justsomeguy said:
It's only a matter of time before someone loses control and there's a big backlash by the media/politicians.

What was this guy thinking?

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2869

Actually, UAVs have been operating at NFL games for a few years! I'm not sure about baseball games etc, but I think you'll find the stadiums have permission to operate UAVs, so someone standing in the stadium with one or controlling one shouldn't draw much attention from authorities!

That said, I doubt he was associated with the stadium.

Flying near airports = no no
Flying in stadiums = its happening almost weekly anyway

Which part of "it's illegal" is difficult to understand?

How about when some RC geek loses control while over the stadium?

No where in the thread does the term "it's illegal" get used, so I'm not sure where your quoting that from?

I can't find the link for the life of me right now, but I know I've posted it before. What I am referring to is the "spider-cam" systems that is used alot in the us and Australia. I know 100% that in the regualtions (just note sure what one :( ) even a cable strung camera is classed as a UAV!

And as for being "illegal" it's actually still a big grey area! Lets say some RC Geek like us looses control over a crowd of people, and injures some of them. We may be charged with causing personal injury or damage to property etc, but there is no charge for flying the copter. or if a business (without an FAA COA) is using a drone for footage, they can only be told to not use the footage, but flying the drone isn't a crime! Flying in restricted airspace is a little different, we should know not to fly there, but so long as we don't damage property or injure any persons, its happening and no body is being charged!

Now, how much longer we can still post videos of stupid flying until all that changes might not be as long as we may hope.

justsomeguy said:
Driffill said:
No where in the thread does the term "it's illegal" get used, so I'm not sure where your quoting that from?

I would suggest that you click the stadium footage link that I posted above and then read that thread.

If you are still confused after that, I can't help you understand.

Read it, I still don't see where it says its illegal (for an RC drone). I think you'll find that the no fly zone over the stadiums is for full sized aircraft (manned helicopters, planes and blimps) because the stadiums have authority to operate UAVs (IE spider cam etc), along with authority they are given a "3d section" of airspace to use. Meaning no other aircraft can fly there!

xstatic said:
http://vimeo.com/75280932

Enjoy the video

ENJOY THE VIDEO???!!!! Are you some kind of ****** intent on spoiling things for those of responsible enough to realise just how STUPID you are?

My only disapointment in this Video is that your Phantom didn't get dumped in the lake!!!!!

That does not apply here as I am in Canada.

I meant the US rules don't apply. We have different regulations in Canada, especially in Quebec

Thanks for that very illuminating comment. I didn't understand what you wre gerring at. I saw the cideo and thought it a bit irresponsible to. go so so close to a populated area. I read some of the discussion, but whatI read was random comments on the filming!

Also did you know it is illegal to tape and broadcast a copyrighted production such as a sports events' which I guess was dine in the video.

Also I read in the fine print of a sports show credit you are not to discuss or show in any manner anything about the broadcast without writtencdonsent from the producers. What was unbelievable was the word "discuss" meaning any radio show was actually in libel with the producers as they would often talk about the game on air. Could you talk about it to your friends "if you have any"
What that has to do with copters.....hmmmm..... I think I lost it

Back to electric therapy for me. Hand me the plug....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20