There are some wonderful people in this World

Reaction score
About 4 months ago I asked questions about the Phantom quadcopters, where I could buy parts etc. I think iy was just after I'd been scammed by buying a P1 which had been swimming. Anyway many guys joined in and gave me plenty of help. One gentleman waited until things had quietened down and asked me if I'd be interested in one of his old P1's. How could I refuse, I had dreamed of owning a DJI for some time and this kind man named Dez from the coldest part of Canada, make such a generous offer.

However there was a problem, he'd forgotten about screwing longer bolts in the 4 motors after removing the prop guards, so it too needed 4 new motors. Then Dez made yet another offer, he would send me his old P2. They both arrived yesterday after almost 3 months, I had no idea how the sled team managed to make it to Australia, but it did. Now I have a P1 and P2 . The motors for the P1 are coming from a wrecked Kaiser Bass Delta Quad. Who would have guessed they have the same motors and ESCs as the P1?

This is something I never expected and it's not as if Dez is rolling in money, he's a battler like many of us. But to offer his two Phantoms shows just how kind and generous some people are, especially in today's world. People are more worried about themselves than others, but one gentleman way up near the North Pole proved otherwise. I just wanted to let the guys who chatted with me on that day to know that Dez stuck to his word and now my dream has been realised and tomorrow I'll be having a couple of test flights. I even found a Gimbal in the box he sent as a surprise. My old GoPro might not be 4k or anywhere near it, but the video will mean just as much. Thank You Dez and thanks to everyone else who showed me that dreams can come true. Now I just have to convince my Grandchildren that at 70 I'm not too old to be playing with quadcopters. :)

Good for you man. I'm glad to hear it. There are some good people in this world although sometimes few and far between. I recently bought a phantom 3 standard (refurbished unit) on Amazon for $360US. I have noticed if I ask the right questions there are some very helpful people on this forum. I was asking questions about antenna modifications and got several responses that lead to more research of my own and now with $80 in parts from Amazon my phantom 3 standard is capable of making flights over 1mile away with full control and video signal. Thanks to the combined experience of this forum's members and my own research I have been able to more than double the factory range of my standard p3 drone. I had to open up the controller to modify some things and wire up some aftermarket parts. Argtek Blue Proton range extender kit, Alfa APA-M25 10db 5.8ghz 10db flat panel antenna and 2 2.4ghz 7db flat panel antennas I have for long range flights and I can easily swap those for 1 5.8ghz 10db omnidirectional and 2 2.4ghz 8db omnidirectional antennas for about 3,000ft of practical cinematic maneuvering and perfect signal when +1mile range is not needed. I couldn't agree more that DJI is a very great manufacturer that has evolved the handheld camcorder into a super high definition remote controlled aerial platform with cinematic capabilities. My favorite feature besides multiple autonomous flight modes is the GPS. No more fly away worries. Before DJI, I lost a drone to a flyaway. It could be on the moon from what I witnessed. Although with my phantom 3 standard I can be filming in 2.7k resolution over a mile away and if I happen to lose signal my p3s autonomously ascends to a safe and obstacle free 400ft simply zips back overhead and gracefully auto lands in its take off location or at worst within a couple feet (<1meter) from its exact take off position. Not to mention this can be canceled via the app once it is back in signal range. I find it impressive this is an obsolete model while still having these features and a 3 axis gimbal stabilized camera from the factory. With newer technology coming out the high tech phantom 3 professional with 4k resolution, better autonomous flight, lightbridge network protocols for over 3 mile range and many other features can be purchased on Amazon with warranty for less than half the original price. I have seen the DJI certified refurbished P3 pro units with warranty selling for just over $500! If you like quadcopters and you have kids the DJI drones and DJI app will allow you to film and edit gimbal stabilized ultra high resolution video with a finished product better than movies were just 5 years ago! My wife and I love taking high resolution video and pictures of the family and editing wonderful cinematic quality movies to re live memories for years to come. This Chinese company DJI has not only helped me take my hobby to an entirely new level but my home video and family pictures are now of a caliber I never thought possible. There is so much information out there and on forums like this. With a little research anyone can be making great cinematography a reality. Even if flying just for fun DJI is the best and they continue to move forward with newer, better, improved technology on each model setting the standards of this now multi-billion dollar industry. My P3S is the best purchase I have made in years. Completely worth it! I am now considering buying a p3 pro or P4 since the price is going down and I know it will be an amazing piece of equipment. Enjoy your phantom. Happy flying!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj