Reaction score
Im on my second Phantom 3 Pro, and this one just seems better in both range and speed. I get over 7,000 feet almost everywhere I go on the newer one. One specific area I fly in by my house is a park where on the old one I only got around 2300. At first I thought it was the new controller, so I paired my old controller up and got the same results. Also, I don't know if its a software related limitation or not, but this one seems way faster. I had a flight on a windy day last week and I got it up to 62 mph. If I remember correctly, in similar conditions my older P3 had only got up to around 48 mph. Maybe its a combo of software and the new motors? Anyone else notice this?

... I think you may have accidentally uploaded the wrong photo? That's a screenshot of the Windows 10 lock screen :tearsofjoy:

I got it up to 62 mph. If I remember correctly, in similar conditions my older P3 had only got up to around 48 mph. Maybe its a combo of software and the new motors? Anyone else notice this?
Unless your Phantom is malfunctioning and operating differently from every other Phantom, any speed above about 35 mph is entirely due to wind.
Motors make no difference, speed comes from the tilt angle set in firmware.

Why are you on your second p3?

My guess is either the first one was dodgy or there are other factors at play here (wind speed and direction being the most likely).

Unless your Phantom is malfunctioning and operating differently from every other Phantom, any speed above about 35 mph is entirely due to wind.
Motors make no difference, speed comes from the tilt angle set in firmware.

I know its the wind, hence the reason I said it was a windy day. If I look through my healthy drones logs though, even with equal wind the first Phantom did not go as fast. Maybe I didnt explain it to well, but I am aware that the motors will not go faster than 35 without wind, but I was not aware as to whether or not they limit the speed so to be specific I was thinking maybe the firmware on the ESCs limited output on the motors like when it limits propulsion to save battery. I dont know if that affects tilt angle yet it affects speed.

... I think you may have accidentally uploaded the wrong photo? That's a screenshot of the Windows 10 lock screen :tearsofjoy:
Thanks, I actually didnt want to upload any photo I dont know how that happened. Im chasing this stupid quadcopter around on my VFR 996

Reactions: LWC1496
Why are you on your second p3?

My guess is either the first one was dodgy or there are other factors at play here (wind speed and direction being the most likely).

Lost the first one unfortunately, don't know if it was dodgy, but undoubtedly wind speed was the reason on the flight mentioned

I was not aware as to whether or not they limit the speed so to be specific I was thinking maybe the firmware on the ESCs limited output on the motors like when it limits propulsion to save battery. I dont know if that affects tilt angle yet it affects speed.
Motors go faster > Phantom goes higher
Phantom tilts more > Phantom flies faster
The Phantom could travel much faster with either motor version but both are limited to identical top speeds.

It should say on the side of the box near the barcode and on your drone where the label is.

I.... got it up to 62 mph. If I remember correctly, in similar conditions my older P3 had only got up to around 48 mph. Maybe its a combo of software and the new motors? Anyone else notice this?
Not sure how you quantify your speed and how you retrieve your quad. P3 designed max speed is 16 m/s which is about 35 mph. When the quad recorded 62 mph, the wind must be 27 mph and you flew your quad with the wind. Under that scenario, you were lucky to get your quad back.

Odog, you're in my city. I gotta see this hot rod P3! I don't remember the winds being the stiff recently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan