Real-World Range Tests

Reaction score
Anyone who owns a Mavic, could you please do a real-world range test in a non-controlled environment? Very curious on how far it could go vs the advertised distance. Would like to see some testing in mountain/wooded rural are to get more realistic statistics before placing an order.

Thanks in advance,
Alek

YES, a real world test would be great to hear about. The Phantom 4 doesn't even come close to achieving it's claimed range.

Anyone who owns a Mavic, could you please do a real-world range test in a non-controlled environment? Very curious on how far it could go vs the advertised distance. Would like to see some testing in mountain/wooded rural are to get more realistic statistics before placing an order.

Thanks in advance,
Alek
IMG_0009.GIF

Probably have to wait until they are available to us mortals.;)

Reactions: dirkclod
I'd like some opinion on what everyone thinks about this 8 mile/42,000 feet of flying...i just don't think DJI means Mavic can fly 8 miles away from you...or even 4 miles away and back...i think...i suspect, the way they're wording this...is that you could go to an open field under optimal conditions and achieve 42,000 feet of flying...in that field. Just a thought. I see those antennas, and what oculus is or isn't...4 miles away...is a stretch.

Don't confuse flight time with range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

This is like fuel consumption on cars, and other values that are presented on severall products.
It's achieved on unique situations!

Dont expect to go that far in stock!

There's a lot factors you have to consider related to the maximum distance, so many...
If we all made the distance test, there will be a lot of different results.
Meanwhile DJI is again one step forward the others, concerning the "distance" subject.

That, yes, is really important, and it's the reason why I'm waiting for Mavic

Last edited:
How could he? Time and range use different units ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The specs says something about 13km/mi on a 27 minute battery. Many were get their wires crossed with connection range.

Reactions: Andrewandron
I'd like some opinion on what everyone thinks about this 8 mile/42,000 feet of flying...i just don't think DJI means Mavic can fly 8 miles away from you...or even 4 miles away and back...i think...i suspect, the way they're wording this....

The 8 miles is a flight distance capability, which is believable if you believe Mavic flies at least 20 minutes. At 30mph 20 minutes is 10 miles. Don't confuse flight range with flight distance capability.

That said, I'm skeptical of the claimed 4 mile range, even under ideal conditions. I hope to be wrong.

You'll probably be right. We dont know what ideal conditions we are talking about.
31mph is not the most economical velocity, and that leave us to another conclusion

Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))

5. How far can the Mavic fly on a single charge?
In calm weather and under ideal conditions, the Mavic can fly up to 8 miles (13km) at 31 mph (50 kph). Real-world performance will vary though, so we urge you to monitor your battery level at all times.

Very difficult indeed.
Near at the most.

YES, a real world test would be great to hear about. The Phantom 4 doesn't even come close to achieving it's claimed range.

Depends on environment I think. I've gone 7.5 kms before turning around with just windsurfers and 6 kms stock (landed with 28% battery on this flight).

I think DJI should send me a Mavic to test it's range in my environment :D

Well I can tell you that we will find out soon. I am willing to bet there will be some maverick's.

With more then 1/4 battery it's hard to believe.
Till, there are some videos with that kind of guiness records... :)

I dont understand how it's possible with stock batteries. My math dont reach that understanding. :)

Connection Range test @ 4.29.. subtitles required.

With more then 1/4 battery it's hard to believe.
Till, there are some videos with that kind of guiness records... :)

I dont understand how it's possible with stock batteries. My math dont reach that understanding. :)
I've done an almost 8 mile round trip and landed with 10% on my P4.

Holy moly... 4.3 miles stock then he turned around. That is amazing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl