ItElite Modification Honest review --> OK range improvements

I have had the cheap Omni directional for a while now. I have a few different ones. I also have directional Alfa brand ones. I have not bought the expensive one that Jeremiah has yet.

I boosted them all at one time or another. I have the cheap black 4 Watt amps with birds on them. They may not be the best. My experience has been that amps make the range of the control signal better, BUT when you lose video (the weaker signal) you are then totally disconnected. Once disconnected, it can take up to 5 minutes for the signal to return, By then your drone is halfway or more than halfway home......... you hope. It is kind of scary. It has happened to me about 4-5 times so far. So in a nutshell; the amps add range but you lose quality and the ability to regain signal quickly when it is lost. For example, with stock antennas and windsurfers if I lost signal I would have it back within 30 seconds or so, not with amps. Maybe the real Sunhaus amps are better. I don't have them so I have not tried yet. I think a problem would be the real strong control signal "stepping on" or overpowering the video signal input. I think you need an amp on the CONTROL OUT and an amp on the VIDEO OUT from the drone. That way you get a strong video/telemetry signal back. When I get done with some crazy lighting mods I am playing with right now, I may start work on a bird side amp.
100 watt LED spot light mod sneak peek below.

20160511_101930.jpg

Reactions: Erised
I boosted them all at one time or another. I have the cheap black 4 Watt amps with birds on them. They may not be the best. My experience has been that amps make the range of the control signal better, BUT when you lose video (the weaker signal) you are then totally disconnected. Once disconnected, it can take up to 5 minutes for the signal to return, By then your drone is halfway or more than halfway home......... you hope. It is kind of scary. It has happened to me about 4-5 times so far. So in a nutshell; the amps add range but you lose quality and the ability to regain signal quickly when it is lost. For example, with stock antennas and windsurfers if I lost signal I would have it back within 30 seconds or so, not with amps. Maybe the real Sunhaus amps are better. I don't have them so I have not tried yet. I think a problem would be the real strong control signal "stepping on" or overpowering the video signal input. I think you need an amp on the CONTROL OUT and an amp on the VIDEO OUT from the drone. That way you get a strong video/telemetry signal back. When I get done with some crazy lighting mods I am playing with right now, I may start work on a bird side amp.
100 watt LED spot light mod sneak peek below.

View attachment 53364
Since the video signal is weaker and is invariably lost sooner than the control signal, whenever you lose FPV, you still have full control, and the best way to recover FPV is to gain altitude until FPV is restored. Usually, losing control signal is due to an obstruction or ground interference, unless you are at the outer control range limits, so setting your RTH altitude high enough will usually guarantee recovery of the control signal during the initial elevation to the set RTH height, without actually returning closer to home, allowing you to cancel RTH, and continue on, as soon as the control signal is recovered. Works for me with great success.

OMG JonE, 100 watt LED, the village will think the sun is coming up! Gotta share video when you fire up that puppy.

I am posting photos later this morning.

I am posting photos later this morning.
Good luck with this project. I did something very similar to my P4 . Flew yesterday and the quad was not responding the way I wanted it to. Decent was scary (2X faster) and there was significant drift as well. Flew for a couple min around myself and decided I wasnt going to chance flying it with this thing rigged up. Total weight was around 60g . Here was my setup.....

2 - Xenon White 48COB LED Panel Car Lights
Mad Dog 250mah 20c 3s Lipo 25g
Tarot Carbon fiber battery mount plate 16g
Coin container (modified) for battery ,Zipties, wiring, tape, etc'
I've had some of these parts on my Tarot before and they were lying around and I was waiting for the lipo to come in . Went with one of the lightest I could find.

Last edited:
How many lumens are those? I am posting my setup in a few minutes in a new thread.

Cool, I have a new thread in P3 Pro/Adv. forum about my lights instead of posting here.

bad news. got today the chance to try out the replacement. first flew with the standard remote and then wanted to try the phantom 4 modded remote. Unfortunatly it is not accepting my tablet. I do not get the popup if i want to open DJI go, and when opening it manually the "linking RC" button does not do anything. So now im home again and need to call the company again, sigh.....
I really do hope they will solve this, but i fear they might put the blame on me, even though it worked perfectly before sending it to them.

EDIT: checked the inside and everything seems to be connected properly. nothing loose or bent or damaged... So yeah, it worked before i got it back from the company.

Last edited:
bad news. got today the chance to try out the replacement. first flew with the standard remote and then wanted to try the phantom 4 modded remote. Unfortunatly it is not accepting my tablet. I do not get the popup if i want to open DJI go, and when opening it manually the "linking RC" button does not do anything. So now im home again and need to call the company again, sigh.....
I really do hope they will solve this, but i fear they might put the blame on me, even though it worked perfectly before sending it to them.

EDIT: checked the inside and everything seems to be connected properly. nothing loose or bent or damaged... So yeah, it worked before i got it back from the company.
Are you familiar with the linking RC procedure? Once you initiate the "linking RC" procedure in the app with the remote turned on, you have 60 seconds to press the flashing red recessed linking button on the aircraft, while the remote beeps. (To properly test your remote after the mod, they had to link it to another aircraft, so now it needs to be rebound and properly linked with your P4.) The button on the left side of the aircraft will go from flashing red to green, and the beeping will stop, and the FPV will show up, if the linking is successful. If you have amps on your remote, you must power them up during the linking. It may take several tries to get the linking to complete, if you aren't fully familiar with it. Keep trying! :cool:

Are you familiar with the linking RC procedure? Once you initiate the "linking RC" procedure in the app with the remote turned on, you have 60 seconds to press the flashing red recessed linking button on the aircraft, while the remote beeps. (To properly test your remote after the mod, they had to link it to another aircraft, so now it needs to be rebound and properly linked with your P4.) The button on the left side of the aircraft will go from flashing red to green, and the beeping will stop, and the FPV will show up, if the linking is successful. If you have amps on your remote, you must power them up during the linking. It may take several tries to get the linking to complete, if you aren't fully familiar with it. Keep trying! :cool:
For me it sometimes takes doing this procedure more than once to get it to link up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

For me it sometimes takes doing this procedure more than once to get it to link up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yup. If at first you don't succeed, try, and try again! Usually, it's a timing issue, or how long to keep the aircraft link button pressed. You'll know when it succeeds because the beeping stops and the flashing red light turns green. Turning the aircraft off and on helps to reset the process, if it failed during the first attempt.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I know the procedure. Nothing happens when i try to link it. On the other remote it immediatly starts beeping.

I can send the controller back....i hope they will be able to see whats wrong. I didnt do anything wrong with it im sure of that...but it also looks fine from the inside. This stuff is so expensive this really gives me bad sleep...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl