RC Signal Loss at Only 100 Feet

Reaction score
Hi

Got a Phantom 3 Standard, only last week, and was impressed by the technology. However I am getting so many error messages I am now wondering if something is wrong with it.

Today I took it out into the 'middle of nowhere' as I was getting regular 'electromagnetic interference' warnings in more urban areas. I noted that the area I was flying in today had a cell phone tower approximately 1 mile away, and multiple very tall metallic wind turbine structures just under 1/2 a mile away. I did not expect any of these structures to cause a problem (due to the distance.)

I took the Phantom to 100 feet vertically, and out of nowhere got a 'Lost RC Signal' error. The RTH function kicked in and it landed safely. I thought it was odd, so then tried flying it 100 foot horizontally, and the same thing happened. My antenna was slightly tilted as advised in the DJI instructions. I had a clear line of sight between me and the drone at all times.

Any ideas what is going on? I am using an iPad Mini 1 as a screen; yes I know it is not advised to use this iPad version, but I don't see how it can cause loss of RC signal?

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

Signal failing at such a short distance is an indication that something is wrong with the antenna or there is heavy interference. But as you said it was open field, check if any thing wrong with antenna on RC or on aircraft.

Reactions: dronezone1010
I will try it over weekend, in a very remote area, where you can't even get a cellphone signal. If it happens there, then I reckon there is something physically wrong with the antenna/RC unit, as you suggest.

Tried it in a relatively remote area today. A field well away from urban areas. The only potential 'issue' was a metallic turbine some distance away.

Once again the same thing happened. I lost RC signal at only 65 feet (twice,) and this time nearly lost control of the drone.

The thing is almost unusable, and I've no option but to return it. No matter where I go, I have problems with it. I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the device, as I've seen other people flying Phantoms at these locations with no issue.

Very disappointing, but that't just the way it goes :-(

I just checked out the DJI support website, and they say that in the event of signal loss:

'If this issue occurs after remote controller or aircraft firmware update, check whether the update has been conducted successfully. Ensure that the remote controller firmware version is compatible with the aircraft firmware version. At the same time, restart the remote controller or aircraft.'

I am not aware of any way of checking the RC firmware version for a Standard? Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

@dronezone1010

Welcome to the Forum!

First impression return it.
Firmware version is in the about in the go-app, with everything connected.
Remote control firmware has not been being displayed. :rolleyes:
Remote control firmware is updated from the Phantom on a P3S.
There was or is a version of the firmware or app, that people were saying it didn't show the version of the Phantom either. :rolleyes:

When a P3S is working correctly, it can do what is advertised. ;)

Yes your mobile is not causing this problem, you can fly with out your mobile.

Rod

Thanks Rod, I think you are right. I will need to return it. I can't take the risk of it disappearing. It seemed to develop a 'mind of it's own' today for a few very worrying moments.

The problems I have had and have seen with the P3S, I would never recommend it.

If you get a P3S that works correctly you will be happy. I recommend do not upgrade the firmware.
Terrible signal performance
Full Thread,
Terrible signal performance

P3A, I think is the best value, if you can still find one.

I just got a used one, haven't got to start the motors yet, maybe tonight. :eek:

Rod

I'm thinking should I return it to the shop I bought it from 7 days ago, or DJI? Ideally I don't want to wait 1 month for a replacement if possible.

If you can return it, for money back, or another P3S, or upgrade to P3A, etc.

I wouldn't send it back DJI unless you have to, I had no choice, because I bought mine from DJI.

There are some stories here of getting things back broken, and they were not broke when they sent there units in.

Rod

I'm thinking should I return it to the shop I bought it from 7 days ago, or DJI? Ideally I don't want to wait 1 month for a replacement if possible.
If you bought it locally certainly take it there first. Maybe they'll do an exchange.
If you end up sending it back to DJI they pay for shipping.

Has your P3S been doing this from day one? I have had mine for 5 months, mine was perfect until two weeks ago, now I have the same problem as you.
Mine has being doing it since day one, more or less. Did you do anything before the problems started for example a firmware update, or hard landing?

Reactions: RodPad
Mine has being doing it since day one, more or less. Did you do anything before the problems started for example a firmware update, or hard landing?
You are good.
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

I've returned my drone for a full refund. Sadly they did not have a replacement model in stock. At least it will give me time to think about what to do next.

Cool, full refund is much better than flying a defect unit, crashing it, sending it in for repair, paying for a repair getting it back 3-4 weeks and its still broke. :eek:

Rod

What do you tea so the RC and Drone in? I. E. Rucksack, flight case etc? I only ask because I once damaged an aerial on the RC in their own brand rucksack. Wondering if something has happened in the transportation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic