RAW is processed, JPG is not

So let me rephrase then;

When you open a DNG file from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro for the first time in Adobe Camera Raw, where is YOUR highlight slider, in centre, or somewhere else? Im not asking where its SUPPOSE to be.

When I open a DNG file from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro for the first time in Adobe Camera Raw 9.8 this is where the highlight slider is. It is in centre.

slider1.JPG

Has anyone seen the DNG files I uploaded earlier?

I've been told that my contributions here are 'pointless' so I'm trying to offer some support. 3 files from different DJI products. All as per settings we have been discussing.

I'd actually be interested in thought.

Forget where the sliders are. Take a look at the files and tell us what you see.

I've been told that my contributions here are 'pointless' so I'm trying to offer some support.
Forget where the sliders are.

I replied and gave an answer to the OP who asked about the position of the sliders. Please don't contradict yourself by suggesting my contribution is pointless and try to hijack the OP's topic.

I replied and gave an answer to the OP who asked about the position of the sliders. Please don't contradict yourself by suggesting my contribution is pointless and try to hijack the OP's topic.
Let us all try to be civil. We are now past 300 posts in this thread and authors post was not a reply to you but a followup from last page, same author.

Excuse me?
I spent time this morning setting up 3 different devices and uploading DNG files for experimentation and the folk who seem to be having issues have ignored them?

After following this for 16 pages, I am still wondering why this is even an issue and still trying to understand the argument from the original poster on why his "starting point" is off. I finally decided to see for myself what all the hoopla was about so here is what I came up with.

Disclaimer: These pictures are not in any way something I claim to think are great as you can see the weather outside is a bit frightful today to be getting any outside sun shots. I wanted something with more natural light and heavy contrast for this comparison so I shot straight out my front door and i think it helped.

First two screenshots are shot in RAW+JPEG. One picture was snapped with the NONE picture style and the following with the DLOG picture style. As you can see, the RAW images are the exact same. The difference is in the JPEG with the two different picture styles it has taken on from the camera settings.

RAW+JPEG - NONE Profile *(jpeg left, dng right)
full

RAW+JPEG - DLOG profile *(dng left, jpeg right)
full

I then decided to take shots that were overexposed and well underexposed to show those comparisons as well. As is obvious, the RAW DNG picture is as overexposed and underexposed as the camera settings governed. This shows that exposure for a RAW file still needs to be properly set. These screenshots show the raw and jpeg side by side and the none picture style was used.

full

full

Also for what its worth, here are screenshots of each when opened in the raw editor to show that the sliders are always at 0. With a properly exposed picture, you will get the most latitude for pushing one way or the other.

full

full

full

Now if there is anyone still really confused by this it is beyond me. I still don't know why this is even an issue. This is a tool just like any other camera and from what I have seen from it, it is very useful. The raw and jpeg not "looking" correct when brought on the screen is like saying the case the drone came in was not the same grey as everyone else's. It still works and all the information you captured is still there and if exposed correctly you will still get plenty of control out of your flying 20MP camera.

After following this for 16 pages, I am still wondering why this is even an issue and still trying to understand the argument from the original poster on why his "starting point" is off. I finally decided to see for myself what all the hoopla was about so here is what I came up with.

Disclaimer: These pictures are not in any way something I claim to think are great as you can see the weather outside is a bit frightful today to be getting any outside sun shots. I wanted something with more natural light and heavy contrast for this comparison so I shot straight out my front door and i think it helped.

First two screenshots are shot in RAW+JPEG. One picture was snapped with the NONE picture style and the following with the DLOG picture style. As you can see, the RAW images are the exact same. The difference is in the JPEG with the two different picture styles it has taken on from the camera settings.

RAW+JPEG - NONE Profile *(jpeg left, dng right)
full

RAW+JPEG - DLOG profile *(dng left, jpeg right)
full

I then decided to take shots that were overexposed and well underexposed to show those comparisons as well. As is obvious, the RAW DNG picture is as overexposed and underexposed as the camera settings governed. This shows that exposure for a RAW file still needs to be properly set. These screenshots show the raw and jpeg side by side and the none picture style was used.

full

full

Also for what its worth, here are screenshots of each when opened in the raw editor to show that the sliders are always at 0. With a properly exposed picture, you will get the most latitude for pushing one way or the other.

full

full

full

Now if there is anyone still really confused by this it is beyond me. I still don't know why this is even an issue. This is a tool just like any other camera and from what I have seen from it, it is very useful. The raw and jpeg not "looking" correct when brought on the screen is like saying the case the drone came in was not the same grey as everyone else's. It still works and all the information you captured is still there and if exposed correctly you will still get plenty of control out of your flying 20MP camera.

I don't see any of your images?

Please, please, please. As a very special favor. If you open the files in this link I will post (day test with different profiles and settings) and you see them perfect etc, don´t need to further write and answer that. Only if you see the DNG´s saturated, contrasted etc please let us know!

This is a mistery really.

Again... please don´t try to explain us what is photography or how light works or what is a RAW file or how we can manipulate it in post. Just if you see our issue when yo open them.

Thanks

DAY LIGHT test
Dropbox - RAW vs JPG day test

Please, please, please. As a very special favor. If you open the files in this link I will post (day test with different profiles and settings) and you see them perfect etc, don´t need to further write and answer that. Only if you see the DNG´s saturated, contrasted etc please let us know!

Again... please don´t try to explain us what is photography or how light works or what is a RAW file or how we can manipulate it in post. Just if you see our issue when yo open them.

Thanks

DAY LIGHT test

Did you open my files mate? Open them and take a look. See what you think. It might put your mind at ease or it might help you find more answers.

Did you open my files mate? Open them and take a look. See what you think. It might put your mind at ease or it might help you find more answers.
can you please tell me which number of post are those files? Sorry don´t know where they are

Thanks

DAY LIGHT test

I have opened all 8 Dropbox example files using Adobe CC 2017 ACR 9.8 - In all examples Temp is 5650, Tint +3; all other sliders 0. All examples are identical to look at with the different profiles and settings that you have used having had no effect and made no difference. Compared to RAW files from my Nikon Df and D700 the DNG example files do look saturated and slightly contrasty but I see nothing wrong in that except that there is less need for adjustments.

I post my reply in good faith hoping it is useful with no intention to provoke or annoy anybody.

Good luck.

I have opened all 8 Dropbox example files using Adobe CC 2017 ACR 9.8 - In all examples Temp is 5650, Tint +3; all other sliders 0. All examples are identical to look at with the different profiles and settings that you have used having had no effect and made no difference. Compared to RAW files from my Nikon Df and D700 the DNG example files do look saturated and slightly contrasty but I see nothing wrong in that except that there is less need for adjustments.

I post my reply in good faith hoping it is useful with no intention to provoke or annoy anybody.

Good luck.
I appreciate it.

My issue and I think gr8pics is that if I set on let say D LOG and on the ipad looks flat and unsaturated etc. The JPG should not come out like it does. They should come out with some process. That´s what JPG are. Processed photos of what you are taking. And the DNG is without any process and they should come out flatter and not saturated so one can adjusta that as liking. That´s not the case, at least not on my computer or in gr8pic .

I appreciate it.

My issue and I think gr8pics is that if I set on let say D LOG and on the ipad looks flat and unsaturated etc. The JPG should not come out like it does. They should come out with some process. That´s what JPG are. Processed photos of what you are taking. And the DNG is without any process and they should come out flatter and not saturated so one can adjusta that as liking. That´s not the case, at least not on my computer or in gr8pic .

I have just looked at the examples again and to my eye they look better with adjustments in ACR of -20 saturation and - 20 contrast

can you please tell me which number of post are those files? Sorry don´t know where they are

Sorry. Im on Tapatalk and the numbering is different I think.

It was today. I posted a test of 3 shots. Straight from the card.
There was an osmo x3, x5 and a p4p shot of the same thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94