RAW is processed, JPG is not

Reaction score
Very weird handling of the files of this model i must say.
I never seen this before on any camera, but, the Dng files looks processed, fully saturated and high contrast, while the jpg looks dull and just how Dng is suppose to look like when unprocessed.
Anyone else noticed this?
I think i begin to understand now, why im not impressed with the picture quality of this one, cause ive been editing on already processed pics, even though they are Dng, and that is also why theres allot if noise introduced to the shadow areas.

This is my second unit of P4P, as i got the other one replaced by the local dealer, but i didnt notice this before today.
When i check the files from the previous unit, its the same.

Other than me?

Very weird handling of the files of this model i must say.
I never seen this before on any camera, but, the Dng files looks processed, fully saturated and high contrast, while the jpg looks dull and just how Dng is suppose to look like when unprocessed.
Anyone else noticed this?
I think i begin to understand now, why im not impressed with the picture quality of this one, cause ive been editing on already processed pics, even though they are Dng, and that is also why theres allot if noise introduced to the shadow areas.

This is my second unit of P4P, as i got the other one replaced by the local dealer, but i didnt notice this before today.
When i check the files from the previous unit, its the same.

Other than me?
I would rather say the DNG is "normal" and the JPG exceedingly dull.

Is there a chance the DNG gets a color profile attached by either the camera or the software you're using (Adobe?) that the JPG does not?

I would rather say the DNG is "normal" and the JPG exceedingly dull.

Yes, that is also a way of describing it :)

It looks the same even in Finder, and nothing gets assigned when i open PS raw plugin. I just received message from another guy that had the same problem with his P3P.
Ive been a photographer for 12 years now, never seen this before :confused:

Yea, totally weird, never seen anything like it. jpg is around 4mb, Dng around 40mb, nothing makes any sense...
First one is screenshot of rawfile untouched.
Second is jpg straight out of the camera.

Skjermbilde 2017-01-07 kl. 22.34.36.png
Skjermbilde 2017-01-07 kl. 22.34.36.png
DJI_0017.JPG

One thing i can find described in the manual or anywhere else, is the camera settings at the bottom under camera settings, the menu above format SD card, custom 1, 2, 3, 4 what is that? I cannot access them, says failed to load if i try choose one.
I will try and perform a camera reset and see what happens...

Did a reset, didnt help.
Connected my iphone 7 which is another app than the ipad, didnt help, so its not the app.
Formated card, didnt help, its a Sandisk Extreme pro 64gb Class 10
Looks like i have to replace it for the second time. Not much luck with the P4P so far.
Seems like there are two versions out there, one that works like a charm, the other ones that are practically full of bugs and a large batch of bad production, or poor quality control...

Even video quality is bad in 4k.
Recorded in 4k 60 fps, iso 100 f/10 sh 120.
Sharpness contrast and sat were -1-3-2
Slightly sharpened and graded in post, exported in original format with full bitrate.
There must be something fishy here, dont you agree?
Ive seen superb video quality from this camera, this looks like upscaled 1080, and possibly worse...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Formated card, didnt help, its a Sandisk Extreme pro 64gb Class 10
Before you give up, try using the 16GB card that came with the Phantom.
The P4pro is more fussy about SD cards than previous Phantoms and there have been a few weird things reported with some 64GB cards (particularly with raw files).
Try the original and see if it's any different.
Sharpness contrast and sat were -1-3-2
There must be something fishy here, dont you agree?
What does it look like at default 0-0-0 values?

Before you give up, try using the 16GB card that came with the Phantom.
The P4pro is more fussy about SD cards than previous Phantoms and there have been a few weird things reported with some 64GB cards (particularly with raw files).
Try the original and see if it's any different.

What does it look like at default 0-0-0 values?

Funny, thats were the next two things on my list to test, great minds :)
Im also gonna find a bright location, test same motive on ground without motors running, then hover with on the same spot, and see if i can spot any differences.
Ive seen high frequency vibes not visible to the eye, cause "mushy" picture before, maybe its a poor mounting of the gimbal as well.

Will report back later..

First test complete, tried the included card, same result, even with 0-0-0 and -1-3-2 settings, they still look the same, apart from the jpgs, there i could see the applied differences.
Must be an internal software problem.
Proceeding to next test...

Btw, i also took the glass from the P3 ND8 filter, attached it with 3Ms meanest tape to try and get closer to the aperture sweetspot f/5.6 to see if i can gain some sharpness in the pictures...

IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG

Just came back from a short flight now, checking photos, theres no doubt, the Dng files is the one which gets processed, not the jpg, so the camera is writing the data to the wrong file type.
Also memory cards have nothing to do with this, its just a storage media, and cannot alter anything that gets written to it.
Same goes for the incorrect timestamps other people reports, the card simple record what the "computer" tells it to record.

Im gonna fire out the movie now in FCP with no grading or adjustments, just pull it trough and upload it for preview.
Last thing i will try before going back to dealer tomorrow, is to try film in auto mode with 0-0-0 settings and D-Cine, if that doesnt make any difference, then theres nothing more i can do...

Just came back from a short flight now, checking photos, theres no doubt, the Dng files is the one which gets processed, not the jpg, so the camera is writing the data to the wrong file type.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

DNG vs RAW

raw files (also if wrapped in a dng) is by definition a raw data dump from the sensor. It is not possible to view this data without a mapping to some observable space, so you will get a default "look" when opening in a compatible editor. Regardless of this, you can change all parameters including temperature or contrast etc regardless of what was set during capture (so any chosen style does not affect the end-result). A jpg will have the predefined style applied (and therefore cannot be changed much without lots of aliasing problems) in postprocessing.

The dynamic range of the sensor will limit how much you can change exposure (and related settings) without loss of detail or increased noise. The sensor itself is rather noisy (even at iso 100) so it is slightly limited how much can be adjusted here.

However, what you see is not the raw data itself, but rather a look rendered with default setting from your editing software.

DNG vs RAW

raw files (also if wrapped in a dng) is by definition a raw data dump from the sensor. It is not possible to view this data without a mapping to some observable space, so you will get a default "look" when opening in a compatible editor. Regardless of this, you can change all parameters including temperature or contrast etc regardless of what was set during capture (so any chosen style does not affect the end-result). A jpg will have the predefined style applied (and therefore cannot be changed much without lots of aliasing problems) in postprocessing.

The dynamic range of the sensor will limit how much you can change exposure (and related settings) without loss of detail or increased noise. The sensor itself is rather noisy (even at iso 100) so it is slightly limited how much can be adjusted here.

However, what you see is not the raw data itself, but rather a look rendered with default setting from your editing software.

I don't think a DNG or any RAW file is literally a dump from the sensor - there is a little processing (look at the speculation on various photography forums about which camera brands cook their raw files more. However, the DNG files from the P4P are definitely more flexible to process in LR, as they should be. And it can't be simply a matter of putting the wrong extension on. A 20MP JPG would not be 40MB in size. Maybe the image processing s/w is applying a profile that is more contrasty than the default JPG profile used in the P4P?

Malcolm

DNG vs RAW

I know the differences between a raw and a jpg file.
Nothing is dumped straight from the sensor, theres also a processor involving some processing, even with raw files.
Believe me, all the usual jpg process is applied to the raw file, and not the jpg here.
Feel free to check them yourselves https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rksxreczs36cw8s/AAA9v7rPKwqHuB9TB05767W4a?dl=0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers