RAW is processed, JPG is not

I count the total of one (agent55) that agrees. And based on the same misunderstanding (mixing raw and log). The rest seems to be trying to help.

No. The rest are not trying to help. They are trying to prove us wrong. And the worst way to prove wrong someone who´s a professional on something is not by telling them they don´t know what they are talking about. And besides, no one, not one has said that maybe, just maybe there´s something wrong with the camera. It´s very impressive how most defend so much DJI and their product and they cannot open up their mind to the fact that there could be some bad cameras out there. Or at least a screwed up set of process being applied to the photos.

Impressive.

Reactions: gr8pics
Here are more idiots and trolls claiming something is wrong with the raw files
Phantom 4 Pro DNG and JPG issues

Again, let me remind you, that 10 people dont notice this problem, doesnt mean there arent any, that alone is a pretty stupid statement.
If Dji responded to their customers technical issues that way, calling their customers stupid for claiming something is wrong when 10 other units are fine, how long do you think they will stay in business?

Let me also remind you, that people in here, and on the forums, represent only a FRACTION of the Phantom owners, and still you arrogantly and in a downcondescending way sit and talk on behalf of hundred thousands of other customers?
I think that pretty much sums up your limited intelligence.

Sorry for being rude, back, but we are on common ground here, and we all want the same, the best! So i dont understand why you guys consequently address a couple of us like pricks, just because we have a problem with our gear.
This camera is assembled with parts from the lowest bidder, and there is a GREAT chance something could be wrong with more than just a couple of them, also keep in mind, that most likely, and at LEAST 95% of the users have little or limited knowledge about photography if any at all, and cannot tell the difference between a good and a bad picture, cause they are happy anyway.
Have you guys talked to all of them as well, since you say that "the whole forum here" disagrees with us, or is just a arrogant way of argumenting cause you just THINK you know everything about everyone?
By now, my impression, is that the theoretical experts in here that keep telling us how to use a RAW file, and the difference between a RAW and jpg, just do that, cause they have nothing else to contribute with, cause thats where your knowledge ends.

If we ever get to the bottom with this problem, and Dji admits theres a problem, either hardware or software, i will be so childish and say "whos the idiot now?" Or will you all be adults and apologize for being narrow-minded?
I highly doubt that ;)

This thread will continue until we got real proof in either directions, or else it would be such a horrible waste of time, ending it cause 4-5 people that represent 00000000000000.00000000001% of the consumers say so...

I second that. And it´s nice to see someone else knows about this and has the same problem. We have to just ignore whoever keeps saying it´s the files are perfect and that we don´t know ****.

Maybe, almost as a miracle someone will show up and let us know what they think it´s going on, or at least recognize there might be something wrong with at least your and my drone.

Yes, and like i mentioned before, i already replaced one unit due to a heavy misaligned lens, it was replaced on site without a single phonecall to either distributor or Dji, cause the issue was so obvious, but what the heck, both me and the guy from the pro camera shop are probably both just idiots, like "all" the people on this forum imply....

Yes, and like i mentioned before, i already replaced one unit due to a heavy misaligned lens, it was replaced on site without a single phonecall to either distributor or Dji, cause the issue was so obvious, but what the heck, both me and the guy from the pro camera shop are probably both just idiots, like "all" the people on this forum imply....

Oh yes! That´s for sure. You are an idiot and so am I. Or colorblind or just so very new at photography that I only press a button and hope for the best. RAW? JPG? ****, same **** right?

I am 99% sure that more and more idiot people will start popping out and flawless amazing DJI will recognize they ****** up a few cameras and will resolve the so simple issue in a firmware update.

They have to invert the parameters. Shouldn´t be difficult.

Replacing the drone based on a mechanical failure is fair.

On a imagined problem, not so much. On page 2, i demonstrated that there was nothing wrong with your one sample raw file.

Then again, there is always the option of selling the drone.

Replacing the drone based on a mechanical failure is fair.

On a imagined problem, not so much. On page 2, i demonstrated that there was nothing wrong with your one sample raw file.

Then again, there is always the option of selling the drone.

Great idea. Thanks.

Reactions: gr8pics
Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 2.14.25 AM.png

This is how they are coming out. The right one as you can see is JPG, and the left is DNG. It was taken as a test on another color profile. If someone tells me that that´s the way they are supposed to look I will myself hehehe

View attachment 74042

This is how they are coming out. The right one as you can see is JPG, and the left is DNG. It was taken as a test on another color profile. If someone tells me that that´s the way they are supposed to look I will myself hehehe

This is what a 100% crop of your raw image looks like after it has been toned; you cannot skip this step with raw as I and others have mentioned several times.

By lifting exposure with more than two stops, I have effectively increased noise by at least 200% and it still retains full detail, definition and tone in all parts of the image.

Please clarify what is literary wrong with this picture.

upload_2017-1-21_10-3-50.png

This is what a 100% crop of your raw image looks like after it has been toned; you cannot skip this step with raw as I and others have mentioned several times.

By lifting exposure with more than two stops, I have effectively increased noise by at least 200% and it still retains full detail, definition and tone in all parts of the image.

Please clarify what is literary wrong with this picture.

View attachment 74049

you really dont get it right Thomas? I lnow hot to edit a photo! My god! It´s not about if I can fix or edit a photo! It´s about the starting point should not look that contrasted and saturated.

It´s like buying a Ferrari and they tell you you can go 0 to 100 miles per hours in 5 seconds, and when you try that, is not so. But someone tell you, don´t worry, you can get to 100miles in 10 seconds. I know I can go that F.... fast, but is not they way it has to be. Makes sense?

I don´t need a retouching class! I know hot to do color process, editing, composites etc.... it´s the starting point and the processed it´s being applied to the image from camera what is wrong.

Do you understand the point now? Or you will keep saying it´perfect because moving some sliders can give that same look?

Do you understand the point now? Or you will keep saying it´perfect because moving some sliders can give that same look?

RAW file is a digital record, or file, that contains 100% of the data a digital camera captured when its shutter was clicked, but which has not yet been processed and adjusted for the best viewing and reproduction quality.

A RAW file is “raw” in the sense that it is uncooked, unprocessed, and unready to be shown as a finished product. It is literally raw material.

The text above is from one of the first hits I got when googling "raw image workflow"

The best Digital Workflow - and how to get it using RAW, tiff and jpeg techniques, by Miami advertising photographer Bill Wisser

Please read up on the subject.

Last edited:
RAW file is a digital record, or file, that contains 100% of the data a digital camera captured when its shutter was clicked, but which has not yet been processed and adjusted for the best viewing and reproduction quality.

A RAW file is “raw” in the sense that it is uncooked, unprocessed, and unready to be shown as a finished product. It is literally raw material.

The text above is from one of the first hits I got when googling "raw image workflow"

The best Digital Workflow - and how to get it using RAW, tiff and jpeg techniques, by Miami advertising photographer Bill Wisser

Please read up on the subject.

I don't totally agree that a RAW file is completely untouched sensor data....there is some electronics there that has an effect. However, totally agree that something (RAW processing software, applied profile etc) determines what you actually see on your screen when you open the file. And i've been shooting RAW for about 15 years now (Canon, Olympics, Fuji). If you don't like the look, make your own adjustments or apply your favourite profile.

FWIW I can't see anything odd in any way about the DNG files from my P4P. And even the jpeg files are acceptable to me (if I got the exposure right ).

Cheers

Malcilm

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
I don't totally agree that a RAW file is completely untouched sensor data....there is some electronics there that has an effect. However, totally agree that something (RAW processing software, applied profile etc) determines what you actually see on your screen when you open the file. And i've been shooting RAW for about 15 years now (Canon, Olympics, Fuji). If you don't like the look, make your own adjustments or apply your favourite profile.

FWIW I can't see anything odd in any way about the DNG files from my P4P. And even the jpeg files are acceptable to me (if I got the exposure right ).

Cheers

Malcilm

You are absolutely right that the electronics has an effect and the whole process during capture in general is explained very well here:

Determining pixel charge capacity and amplification gains for a digital camera | RawDigger

The sensor we are discussing has a base iso of 100 and a uncompressed 16 bit-per-pixel storage of the sensor data in the dng files. This yields up to 65536 tones as compared to jpegs 256 (per channel).

The photon-count is definitely not 100% accurate (hence the noise) even at base iso, given the size and closeness of the photosites. This is where for instance a full-size sensor shines.

The theory (being discussed for now 15 pages) is that dji does not follow normal practice for raw capture. No evidence, or even indication, of this has been presented.

But the key point is as you say - regardless of any technicalities - "I can't see anything odd in any way about the DNG files from my P4P."

I decided to do an experiment this morning. I have the Osmo original (x3) and the Osmo Pro (X5) and also the P4P. The p4p is the only drone - the other cameras were on the handles but one assumes they would function in exactly the same way as if they were on the Inspire etc - so if we assume the software and the cameras are the same - this is what an Inspire would shoot.

I didn't shoot anything particularly exciting. I opened the window and shot. I focussed where possible on the furthest house.

I shot the same-ish shot with all devices. I exposed as to what I thought was right using the histogram and the EV guide. It wasn't 0 EV every time - but I think there's enough contrast in the shots to have a decent play.

ALL settings were RAW, 4:3, None in colour and 0,0,0 for the colour settings. WB was set at 5000k for all the shots.
I have uploaded them to WeTransfer straight from the card. Take a look.

https://we.tl/6MIiQlVBO0

Formulate your own opinions - with no comment from me.

I have also had a go at editing the p4p file..
I used some masking in Lightroom to bring up the bottom of the image and some spots of masking in various other places to balance it a little bit.

If you think something is wrong with the camera in your drone, send it back to DJI. 15 pages of this nonsense when the only ones who can do anything about your complaint is DJI.

Here are the files as you requested. They are straight from the P4P and hasn´t been opened.

Dropbox - RAW - JPG
Thanks Ricardo.

1) I see that the two pictures are not the same. When you shoot RAW+JPG, the name of files it's the same, and here you have two different pictures, taken with a difference of 20 seconds if you see metadata embedded.
2) Regardless of the point 1, please see how I see your set RAW+JPG:

comparativa.jpg

I don't see your problem here. I see a standard DNG and a compressed and adjusted JPG. I only loaded the two files in library and clic in compare. Nothing more, nothing else. I didn't touch anything.

Reactions: F3honda4me
Thanks Ricardo.

1) I see that the two pictures are not the same. When you shoot RAW+JPG, the name of files it's the same, and here you have two different pictures, taken with a difference of 20 seconds if you see metadata embedded.
2) Regardless of the point 1, please see how I see your set RAW+JPG:

View attachment 74072

I don't see your problem here. I see a standard DNG and a compressed and adjusted JPG. I only loaded the two files in library and clic in compare. Nothing more, nothing else. I didn't touch anything.
This is what I see in Lightroom as well.

@RicardoUK

Something tells me your software is doing something to your images.

I also posted your files on rcg, and everyone said the only thing wrong with your sample was you had the white balance/color temp wrong when you took the image. Once that was corrected it looked great.

To quote them:

"It wasnt taken with the right white balance setting. Once I corrected that in photoshop it looked fine. It was a 1 second exposure. I work as an advertising photographer and on my calibrated screens with the white balance adjusted correctly it looks fine. Histogram is good and the exposure is fine."
"Only thing I found was the color temperature was off .... turned it from 4350 to 3150 & it looks great!"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Sweetwater