Range and altitude limits

Reaction score
I flew my P4P yesterday with DJI Go 4. The altitude was limited to 29.9m even though I wasn't in Beginner's Mode. The distant was also limited to just shy of 50m though I thought I was not close to an nfs and the distance limit was off. Firmware was up to date as far as I know. Any ideas why? Thanks! (Got notifications about needing to calibrating something on a PC but had no PC in th field so didn't do it.)

You need to sign in to DJI Go using your DJI account. That should clear the restrictions.
Having said that, mine occasionally stops as if it's restricted, despite being logged in. Closing DJI Go and reopening it clears it.

I flew my P4P yesterday with DJI Go 4. The altitude was limited to 29.9m even though I wasn't in Beginner's Mode. The distant was also limited to just shy of 50m though I thought I was not close to an nfs and the distance limit was off. Firmware was up to date as far as I know. Any ideas why? Thanks! (Got notifications about needing to calibrating something on a PC but had no PC in th field so didn't do it.)
Did you update DJI GO? Logout and back in. This should remove the limits. Various threads on the forum with the same issue.

This just started for me with the new iOS iPad app update a couple of days ago. I ran into it on a job yesterday. Logging in and out, reinstalling the app, etc. does not work this time to fix this.

Here is the exact error:

"error - Your flight altitude and distance have been limited to 30 m and 50 m respectively. Please try again after restarting. Do not fly beyond this range."

Does anybody report these issues to DJI? I'm all but ready to start heading to social media to get their attention with this stuff. Their pattern has been, optimize the app for the new drone model and forget about the older ones. I've seen this with every new drone they've released.

Luckily I found a way to downgrade to the app version I know is good before all this. I'm going to try it now and see if it works.

I don't know that it's any safer, but that's what will happen if you're not logged into DJI GO.

I was thinking the same thing...limited liability for DJI, because you have to agree to the T & C's?

Isn't there a privacy issue involved here if DJI were to track my positions without my consent, or to make it impossible to fly without always revealing my positions? What if all images/videos taken by DJI UAVs went to the Chinese Govt. whenever there's an Internet connection? I think the U.S. military is already quitting using DJI UAVs. I certainly don't want to spy for the Chinese Government!

Also, if there's no Internet connection, and there's some bug that causes the range to be limited, I won't be able to log out and in again on the spot.

Last edited:
Isn't there a privacy issue involved here if DJI were to track my positions without my consent, or to make it impossible to fly without always revealing my positions? What if all images/videos taken by DJI UAVs went to the Chinese Govt. whenever there's an Internet connection? I think the U.S. military is already quitting using DJI UAVs. I certainly don't want to spy for the Chinese Government!

Also, if there's no Internet connection, and there's some bug that causes the range to be limited, I won't be able to log out and in again on the spot.
If the Chinese government wanted a pic of you or your neighborhood, they would just take it with a spy satellite. Heck, Google Earth, shows as much details as our flights. Paranoia.

If the Chinese government wanted a pic of you or your neighborhood, they would just take it with a spy satellite. Heck, Google Earth, shows as much details as our flights. Paranoia.
Don't know about spy sats, but Google Earth images are relatively low res, and the angle is always pretty much vertically downwards!

Apparently I'm not the only one who's "paranoid" about this. There are lots of articles about the Army stop using DJI projects. In this article: The US Army Just Ordered Soldiers to Stop Using Drones from China’s DJI the army memo was cryptic about the reason they want DJI's products pulled, but the article does mention the new software restrictions! Here's the quote from the article:

"But hackers aren’t the only ones who can manipulate the drones long after they’ve left the factory floor, been plucked from a store shelf, and flown around the world. In May, DJI officials told users to register their drones with the company — or else the UAVs would suffer cuts to speed and range, even the ability to stream video."

You are right, however, in thinking that the Chinese have great access to spy satellite images. In fact this article: China launches powerful spy satellite capable of photographing anywhere on Earth says they have the best eye in the sky, with a resolution of 1 meter, if I'm interpreting the article correctly. However, it's still pretty much strictly a top view that they can get.

Last edited:
Until you select "Ground View" then you can see rather well.

I thought these "ground views" were taken literally by people on the ground, not by satellite. If you look at the Wikipedia page for Google Street View (Google Street View - Wikipedia), You'll see this text: "Google Street View displays panoramas of stitched images. Most photography is done by car, but some is done by trekker, tricycle, walking, boat, snowmobile, and underwater apparatus."

I thought these "ground views" were taken literally by people on the ground, not by satellite. If you look at the Wikipedia page for Google Street View (Google Street View - Wikipedia), You'll see this text: "Google Street View displays panoramas of stitched images. Most photography is done by car, but some is done by trekker, tricycle, walking, boat, snowmobile, and underwater apparatus."
Yes, they were take with a car with cameras mounted. But, what I was saying was any one can get on Google Earth and see everything that you fly over, with your drone, nothing new here. Chinese, Russian, North Korean, it doesn't matter, they all can see your house, from the street level , with your car parked out front and kids playing in the yard.
The Chinese don't need our pictures and videos, they can get this stuff easily. Heck, anyone can hire a satellite to take images of an area, and at high resolution, take a look.
Satellite Images, Satellite Map | Satellite Imaging Corp

Yes, they were take with a car with cameras mounted. But, what I was saying was any one can get on Google Earth and see everything that you fly over, with your drone, nothing new here. Chinese, Russian, North Korean, it doesn't matter, they all can see your house, from the street level , with your car parked out front and kids playing in the yard.
The Chinese don't need our pictures and videos, they can get this stuff easily. Heck, anyone can hire a satellite to take images of an area, and at high resolution, take a look.
Satellite Images, Satellite Map | Satellite Imaging Corp
What you can see from the street level is sometimes several years old, especially in rural areas. The view of our house and land, at least as of a few months ago, is far greener than it has been in years. Also, understandably you can only get particular points of view from Google Earth. Also, a lot is missing from view. The Army is right to worry because in the world of the military, things can change quickly and views that are several years old may be very inaccurate.

OK, I just looked at Google Earth's street level view in front of our house. Just looking at the mailbox reveals that the picture was probably taken before we moved here in 2009! Note that the Google copyright symbol has a 2017 date on it, but that is misleading.

Last edited:
Around here there are mountains and few roads. So if the govt were to hide military installations here it would not be easy to get a high res view.

I assume you have not looked at high res satellite views, they can get down to very small details. Remember, the military of any nation, will have better resolution than you will ever be aware of.
But what I was saying was simple, if I wanted to look at any spot on the world, I can do so anytime I want in Google Earth. Now, if I were a General, I would be looking at images that would blow your mind.
When we put a new pad in for our motorhome, it was there within 6 months on Google Earth. When we put up a 15,000 gallon water tank up at LAAS, it was on Google Earth within 3 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez