Question for phantom-Videomakers: jerky 4K footage

I will say first there is noting wrong with your cam. The cameras on the phantoms have fixed apertures. Which means you can't control the light by closing the aperture. Truthfully the proper way to control light for fixed aperture cameras, like the one on the Phantom, is with an ND filter. Without an ND filter you have to use the shutter speed setting to control light and that will result in choppy video because you have to set it very high to reduce the light.

Simple Answer:
Shutter settings for your cam should be 2X the framerate. If you are shooting 30fps the proper setting for the shutter is 60; 24 fps = shutter 50, 60 fps = shutter 120 Without ND filters in regular light you would have nothing but completely overexposed video using the correct shutter speed. So to fix your issue get some ND filters. If you cant do that right away shoot when there is less light and at higher framerates to minimize the stuttery look.

From an article:
Why Shutter Speed Matters With DSLR Video

To achieve a film look (which has just enough motion blur between frames to look natural without being “smeary”) you need to follow the 180 degree rule which, simply put, says that your shutter speed should be double the frame rate. This is one of those times when I want to say “don’t worry about what it means, just go with it” as the technical explanation is quite…well…technical. Tyler Ginter did a really good job explaining the technical side of this on his blog post 180 Degree Shutter – Learn It, Live It, Love It.

While I am not going to try to explain the whole 180 degree shutter concept, I will instead just jump into what it really means to you and your video.

Since we already know that when we are shooting stills with action, a slow shutter speed will have motion blur and a fast shutter speed will freeze action. When we translate this concept to video, a slow shutter speed will create a smeared look to the video. If the shutter is too fast there isn’t enough motion blur to smoothly transition from frame to frame causing a stuttering or staccato effect. If you have ever looked at something moving with a CRT monitor behind it you will know what this stuttering can look like. Sometimes, this can be used for creative effect like in the opening of Saving Private Ryan.

Excellent info. How do you chose the right ND filter?

Does the power of the pc you are downloading too make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl