Pushing a P2V+ raw file to the limit

Reaction score
Hi all,
so a couple of days back I was out training on my regular spot, and I shot this image:

RAW: Varden 4.3.15 by MNYFOTO, on Flickr

Not exactly amazing, but being a photographer I wanted to see how much information I could suck out of this file. When pulling out info, especially from the dark areas, noise creeps up on you fairly quickly; but I wanted to make an edit of the photo keeping the look realistic, and not overly HDR-ish. The image was shot in .DNG raw-format, which gives me a bit more playroom in post. From what I see a lot of Phantom users mainly use their setup for video, but I really think the photo quality by far surpasses the video quality in the Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

After doing a quick 10 minute edit in Lightroom>Photoshop>Photo Ninja, this was the end result:

EDIT: Varden 4.3.15 by MNYFOTO, on Flickr

I am amazed over how much detail I was able to bring back from the clouds, and how much information were to pull back up from the shadows of the photo. In my opinion, the photo opportunities with a setup like this is underestimated! Another thing I did notice though was some banding that appeared in the darker areas of the photo. If you look closely, you can see a set of straight vertical lines appearing directly in line with the sun. This could be removed in post of course, but do require some work depending on the scenery you've shot.

Reactions: crash1sttime

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj