Props - to paint or?????

Reaction score
Well you can see where I am going with this..... I want to have RED PROPS but don't know if spray paint will hinder the performance or......???....... Someone else mentioned RIT DYE ( the kind for clothes ) but I am on the fence about that. o_O
Suggestions? Has any one seen any red props anywhere?????

rebel alliance drone 2-4-18.jpg

Using Rit dye (as shown here) or permanent marker would both be okay. I'd recommend staying away from paint since it will most likely make the props out of balance.

Last edited:
Thats a cool idea Msinger....And i would mark each prop with masking tape half way up on each prop....and dip them to the tape....That would really really look neat "O" ! spinning UP !..and match the bird too jwebbe !

Reactions: Jwebbe
Thats a cool idea Msinger....And i would mark each prop with masking tape half way up on each prop....and dip them to the tape....That would really really look neat "O" ! spinning UP !..and match the bird too jwebbe !

Great idea! :) That WOULD look cool! Thanks :)

I've used one of those huge Sharpie markers on my blades.

Can you post a pic?

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Sounds like sharpie is the way to go. Won't make props out of balance and good range of colours available. Go Mr artistic..........

Permanent markers ... lacquer ..... Dye .... many different ways to do it.

But at end of day - its worth having a prop balancer to check after ...

Nigel

Sounds like sharpie is the way to go. Won't make props out of balance and good range of colours available. Go Mr artistic..........

Did you use a sharpie? If so, can you post a picture or if any one else has, please post a pic.

I don't want the prop to look like its been colored - you know, with the tell-tale lines that pens and markers make. :eek:

I have an extra set of old props that I can experiment on - I think I'll try the red markers first and see how that does. Thanks for the suggestions!

Paint is fine, as long as you spray evenly (light coats). I used krylon fusion to paint 2 red, and 2 green. I run 1 of each on the front of my P3S to mark right and left. No issues so far, after about 5 total flight hours. I also scraped down the edges to reveal a white line across the front and back... not too bad looking. I also taped the center hubs to leave them their original color.

A quick check with a prop balancer and no problems

They have spray paint now that glows in the dark.......How Cool would that be to expose them to the head lights on your vehicle..and fire that drone UP with 4 spinning "Glowing" props .....i seen that spray paint at Walmart....Only bad side its going to be Heavy Paint pigmented like that .

Reactions: Texas Gonzo
Yip I spray me props,many trail and error,me p3 and 4k are blue p4 got black,some colors I try almost go invisible in flight which not what I wanted,trying to make more visible,found blue and black the best for me,,can get away with couple good coats on Non original dji props because they lighter than originals in weight,not know why that is,but yes to much can give unwanted off balance and some toilet bowl effect in hover,they make white cause apparently white not attract so much heat but white in bright sky hard to see,have got few spare props and not use cheap ones no more,just don't feel right.
20180211_103546.jpg

Be careful of any paint on the landing legs of a Phantom. The control antennas are built into that area of the drone and you do not want to attenuate signals between the drone and controller.

I RIT dyed my Standard's props yellow & blue. First yellow, then taped over the yellow and then the blue. Didn't come out half bad. HOWEVER, if you use RIT use be sure to wear latex gloves (medical gloves) or you'll have fingers, etc. dyed the same color for a week.

Reactions: Jwebbe
When I think of things like Testor's model paint, I'd think the weight (of the paint) would be an issue. Both adding mass to the props and, as a result, the possibility of knocking them out of balance.

I agree that markers or dye would be lighter, or spray paint (even thinned a bit) from a bit of a distance (2 feet or so?) to ensure a light, even coat.

I thought my 'copter would look cool if I camouflaged it... that though lasted exactly 4 seconds which is how long it took me to remember my first 'copter getting lost in the trees. It was white and I couldn't find it. Camo? Might as well just throw it away. Same results. Maybe a camo pattern with day-glo colors? That red-orange one above looks pretty cool.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT