Proper procedure for flying within 5 miles of an airport?

Good advice in general but, in this case, he is in Class G airspace so he doesn't need an authorization or waiver, and doesn't need to call anyone.
That would be my take also... he is technically under the floor of the overlying class E transitional... hence class G...
Part 107 or not - no authorization required.

On the other hand:... on further investigation on SkyVector there are UAS Notams issued for two pilots in that same airspace... so maybe you do need authorization... anyway a quick call to FAA should sort it out.

That would be my take also... he is technically under the floor of the overlying class E transitional... hence class G...
Part 107 or not - no authorization required.

In post #7 the OP states that he is flying under Part 107. If it were a hobby flight then he would be required to call the airport, since he is within 5 miles.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
In post #7 the OP states that he is flying under Part 107. If it were a hobby flight then he would be required to call the airport, since he is within 5 miles.
Yep... missed that with all the "round about"... the article I posted is an interesting take on the whole Class E "lateral distance" provision that hasn't been fully explained by the FAA -

Yep... missed that with all the "round about"... the article I posted is an interesting take on the whole Class E "lateral distance" provision that hasn't been fully explained by the FAA -

The advisory wording is direct from CFR 14 107.41 and is certainly obscure but, in terms of consistency with all the other regulatory wording and statements on that issue, the wording "the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport..." surely has to mean the lateral boundaries of the surface Class E, not the entire surface area under the associated 700 ft Class E, which is Class G.

Furthermore, if you look at the new authorization grids that the FAA has published, it is clear that they only cover the extent of the surface controlled airspace around the airports, and not the entire lateral extent of the transition Class E. They also don't exist for airports with no surface Class E.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Step 1: call the Air Traffic Control office. Most often they can make a workable arrangement with you. They can inform you of the hazard you may or may not be creating. If there is no hazard, you will most likely be able to come to a mutually agreed upon procedure. If there is a hazard, you will at least understand why you are being restricted.

Unfortunately, I have a similar problem. I just want to go up 200', take a picture and come down. The location is at the edge (slight within) of the restricted area beyond a runway of a private airport that has very little activity.

I need to file for an FAA "waiver" or "Authorization". In my first attempt, I filled out the form without clearly declaring which ... unfortunately, it was turned back where a simply phone call (they had my phone number on the form) could have moved the process forward. I have made all needed corrections and re-applied and am still in a long wait state.

This fall, when I have more time, I'll spend some intense time to track down why this process takes so long. Even with consideration of the "shake down" mode the FAA is in, their process, if it is to work, needs to be fixed and become responsive!

Your time is spent in much better ways because:

A) A large portion of the delay in this process is because several (and I mean MANY MANY MANY) Part 107 Operators have filed ridiculous #'s of Air Space requests. Some trying to "get approval" for the entire US 'just in case'. This has caused a horrible log jam in the system.

B) Sometime in Summer 2018 the new "Almost Instant" Air Space Approval System will released and the current process will be phased out. I think June 31, 2018 is when all currently issued approvals go dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ43Phantom
I have found it very confusing in my research.

The FAA states on one of their pages that authorization is required from the ATC. But on another page they say they want you to fill out a waiver/authorization form online.

Here is a site that does a good job explaining most of it:
https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-airspace-authorization-webinar-overview/

The big take away I got from it was the following:

Q-113. Part 107 says to get authorization from ATC to operate in controlled airspace. Why did FAA then distribute JO 7200.23 telling ATC not to grant authorization?

Good question. Some people early in this process are simply calling ATC and getting permission by phone. The FAA is trying to shut that down and is advising both drone pilots to go to the website and advising ATC to direct people to the website if they request. They do not want ATC giving authorization over the phone.

Here is Kevin’s answer: When an operator requests ATC authorization through the online portal, that request is granted/handled by Air Traffic Control. ATC personnel are not supposed to be giving authorizations outside of the portal requests.

They are trying to shut that down.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: sar104
Post #8 is nuts, wow, crazy story!

I ASKED if I needed to call because the rules are changing fast. On my AIRMAPS, it states I need to call. I did not think so.

One reason for the ambiguity of the original replies may be is that your screen shot shows "What's your Mission? - Fly for Fun" so click on Fun and change it to 107 (IIRC, or what is not Fun).

AFAIK, there have not been any changes to Part 107, nor to 101 since published. What you may be thinking is that many 107 people did try to contact ATC directly and some towers / airport operators went along with it, but the FAA has always maintained that 107's should not.

Reactions: BigAl07
There is a TFR (temporary flight restriction) that's been in place since the Ariana Grande debacle that covers most of the tourist-sensitive areas of the middle of downtown Los Angeles

What's the NOTAM number for this? I cannot see any such circle on Airmap nor any thing other than Disneyland as permanent on the FAA Notam / TFR web pages. They show only 8 areas for all of California.

ok newbie here... I found this on Vimeo and was thinking this guy is most likely doing some things he shouldn't be. Am I wrong? It's a nice vid but clearly flying over people, homes, too close to the clouds.

It's a nice vid but clearly flying over people, homes, too close to the clouds.

At the risk of this thread going off kilter ... 1) I see only one scene where there is a great possibility of flying over moving cars (at 1:50), but I wasn't there and don't know if the road extends to below him; 2) No problem flying over homes; 3) Day flight in Class G airspace, below 1200' AGL only requires 1 SM visibility and to be clear of clouds, which he is.

Clever photography & timing can make things look much different that what they actually are. So while he appears to be close to the limits I can't say for sure that he is over the line.

ETA (9/2/2017): While the Class G visibility info I mention above is correct, 107.51(c) requires 3 SM slant range visibility and 107.51(d)(1) requires 500 ft below clouds. My bad.

Last edited:
It is always good to contact the tower when attempting to do a project like this! They have insight, and knowledge which you don't, and when you think, c'mon, it's only 5 minutes, what harm could I do? That's when unintended accidents happen, which may cause damage or death, which you fully didn't intend, but are now responsible for, all for 5 minutes! I am speaking from experience, I was a military controller for a number of years, and only allowed hobbyists, ( fellow soldiers) to use the airfield on weekends, in Germany, where flying was prohibited, unless you were a glider! During operational hours, I had helicopters, and fixed wing aircraft transitioning thru my airspace, and had to be on top of my flight following! Fixed wing, Traffic included fast movers, A-10's, British Tornadoes, F-16s, my heli traffic OH-58, OH-58D, AH-64, UH-60, CH-47, CH-HH-53's........and I didn't have time to worry about some smuck wanting to take a picture for his pleasure! If you contacted me, first thing, I could designate an area for your flight, and have aircraft avoid the area, because I had knowledge, therefore, the aircraft had knowledge, hence , no accidents, cause we were all on the same sheet of music! Imagine scanning your areas and looking at your reporting points, and seeing full size aircraft where they are supposed to be, but can't see a tiny drone in time to warn of an impending collision!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20