Proper procedure for flying within 5 miles of an airport?

Reaction score
I need a bit of help with proper procedure for flying within 5 miles of an airport. I want to fly within 2 miles of Lewis Joliet airport in Romeoville Il for a quick video of some real estate. Do I need to call the control tower and ask permission or fill out a request on the FAA site? Most of the time I'll be under 120 ft.

I'd like to go to 300 ft for 1 minute to snap 3 photos.

I want to follow proper protocol. It's a busy area!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 2.31.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 2.31.10 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,563
So, am I reading this correct? Lewis Joliet is class E airspace to 700 AGL. I do need to contact the airport manager to tell them I'll be in their airspace, as long as I'm under 700 ft.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.28.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.28.41 PM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 1,512
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.29.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.29.49 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,411
#1 There's no such thing as a quickie flight. Either it's a flight, or it isn't. If it is a flight, and airspace authorization is required, it will be required for a 1 hour flight, or a 1 sec flight.

#2 KLOT seems to be an untowered airfield. This means that your best bet is to call the airport management and tell them exactly where you plan on flying, how high, and at what time.
If you have an aircraft radio then you should be dialed in to listen to KLOT's CTAF at 122.8 for common traffic advisories. Remember that all other aircraft in the air in your area has
the right-of-way over all sUAS.

I fly often at the outskirts of a USAAF base in southern Los Angeles, and, while technically outside their jurisdiction by around half a block, the people there know exactly where I'll be flying, and when, and have actually called me to warn me of an approaching (landing) heavy lifter that was around three blocks away. They have always been kind and courteous. So that's my two cents-worth! I call them when I was bidding for the gig, and asked if there were any issues that they might foresee, they said no, just call us around an hour before you take off.
I did that, and then called again after I was done flying to thank them for their time. Done deal, and the next few times were much easier than that.

Reactions: Motlock
Ok thank you guys. I'll give the airport manager a call before the flight. Hopefully that will cover everything. Thanks!

Sorry to be somewhat abrupt, but I said what I said due to very recent personal experience.

There is a TFR (temporary flight restriction) that's been in place since the Ariana Grande debacle that covers most of the tourist-sensitive areas of the middle of downtown Los Angeles.
Owners of the Airmap app can easily see it - it's this big black circle that's just sitting there - and when you click on the TFR details, it says "Dept. of Homeland Security - never-fly zone", with a permanent status on the TFR. i.e. this temporary flight restriction isn't temporary at all.

Obviously, nobody wants anything like an IED-carrying aircraft anywhere near that area, and I agree.

So a few days ago I was around a mile south of that zone, well outside it, in fact, and conducting 107 flight operations in class G airspace over a downtown factory building for the client.
I launched from a hill on the other side of a road in front of the factory, flying a Mavic Pro. Not a special flight, just " a couple of shots ", the usual.

I kid thee not about what happened next - within 10 seconds of launch, a cop chopper that was over the never-fly downtown area turned and flew directly (and I mean absolutely straight, not so much as a twitch in course deviation) at me. Within a minute it had covered the couple of miles or so (maybe more, because I didn't see it when I launched) to me, and it stopped not 20 feet in front of me, hovering at my eye level and pointing directly at me.

I landed immediately and waved.

The chopper sat for a bit, then left, returning to its patrol route.

Obviously the chopper had radio detection hardware. Obviously very advanced and accurate hardware.

Also, between the time I took off and the time they hovered in front of me, hardly a minute or so had gone by, and I'm sure that they had my ID, my 107 license number, the registration on the Mavic, everything up on their screen before they even got halfway to me.

Why did I land? Because it was obvious that I was making them very nervous. They didn't light me up, or turn on their speaker, but extended me a courtesy to allow me the time to get out of their way. Don't forget that under 107 a) their aircraft had right-of-way and b) they are the local authorities, so had they said 'vacate', I'd had to comply. So why would they have to bother to say that if they bothered to hover in front of me and point me out? Obviously that was what it was, so obviously, I got out of their way, to come back and fly another day, even though legally I would have had a case, being in class Golf airspace and all. But why bother with that? We both live and work in the same airspace, we're both doing our jobs. Mine was dealing with a $50-a-shot merchant (and yes, I got the shot) but theirs was dealing with a potential life-and-death situation. So, as remote PIC, that was a no-brainer. Land, get out of the way. Come back another day if the shot is so important.

So that is why I say again, and with much conviction, there's no such thing as an "it's-a-short-flight-so-it's-okay" flight, not any more in Los Angeles, anyway.
There is zero grey area to exploit or to take advantage of, get away with, beg forgiveness after for, etc.. I don't think anybody has time or tolerance for that kind of thing any more.

You are either authorized, or not authorized. So it's either online application or FSDO time, and, speaking as a private pilot since 2001, in either case it's not a heinous procedure, it's free, and everybody is usually helpful, especially if you do go the extra mile yourself, and extend them the professional courtesy that I believe they richly deserve.

HTH
JM2c
YMMV
etc

I've never seen the test but would this not something you'd study for that certification?

It absolutely is. He should know that the call if you are within five miles applies to hobbiest only and that it is all about the airspace. In this case it's Class E so his only option is to apply for a waiver.

Take a look at the area Bud. There is a lot going on. Better to be safe than sorry. I want to do it right. A lot of guys, I've seen it will jut go up and fly. I'm not that guy. Guess you are better at reading the maps than I! In the past it was "call the airport manager" then it was you have to fill out a request.

Yeah, Chuck, I'd call the airport manager to double check you're flying in Class G. Then you're good to go. Otherwise, apply on the FAA website for an airspace authorization or better yet just contact your local FSDO and inquire there.
All the best

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
So, am I reading this correct? Lewis Joliet is class E airspace to 700 AGL. I do need to contact the airport manager to tell them I'll be in their airspace, as long as I'm under 700 ft.

No, there is no 700 ft Class E in the vicinity - it is under regular 1200 ft Class E overlayed by the edge of 3600 ft Class B (KORD).

If you are Part 107 certified you should also be aware, from the training, that there is no circumstance in which you are required to contact an airport manager. In Class G airspace you are good to fly, in controlled airspace you require an authorization or waiver from the FAA, or in one of the types of special use airspace you require other authorizations that depend on the category.

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok, so what is the make-up of the exact spot I marked here on green.

I read it as:
Class a: 18000
Class b: 3600-17999
Class e: 700 to 3599
Class g: below 700

I an within 5 miles of an airport, so I have to get an authorized waiver from the FAA

Attachments

• L3L2 Airspace.png
    L3L2 Airspace.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 2,269
  • ss33.png
    ss33.png
    2 MB · Views: 714
Chuck,

with all due respect you need to seriously consider going back and re-studying the materials for your 107. You you didn't retain it at all. This stuff as all in the materials and on your test. This type of scenario is going to happen a lot of you're lucky enough to land more jobs and stay in the industry.

Part 107 doesn't call the tower (unless you're being courteous) regardless what the distance from the airport is. You MUST go strictly by Air Space and ONLY Air Space. If you happen to be in one of the few places left in the US where the tower will give Air Space Authorizations then you call them with your coordinates and Part 107 information and get a verbal Air Space Authorization but it has nothing to do with "within 5 miles of an airport".

Part 101/Hobby and ONLY Part 101/Hobby call the tower to NOTIFY of their intended flights if within 5 miles of an airport.

When operating under Part 107 the answer to your question
"proper procedure for flying within 5 miles of an airport" is ALWAYS follow the rules for that specific Air Space and for the time frame you'll be flying in it (some places change Air Space designation depending on time).

As stated above it doesn't matter if you're flying for 10sec or 10 hours.. you're still flying and as a Part 107 holder you really should be able to understand this and determine your obligations in regards to FARS better than this.

I'm all for asking questions to clear some things up (That's what this forum is for) but in this situation you clearly don't have a firm grasp on Part 107 and that's a little bit worrisome.

This is my personal opinion and nothing more.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Sort of funny how no one has "Cleared anything up". No one has answered the question! If I'm standing at the green dot, what is the procedure?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl