Need to fly near an controlled airport - INDOORS

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm flying a Phantom 4 professionally. I recently got my FAA 107 license. I've been hired to do some indoor shots of a massive warehouse operation. Problem is, the warehouse is within 2 miles of a tower controlled airport. I've never tried to fly that close to a tower controlled airport - though I have gone through the waiver to fly (after contacting them) near a rural airport. Will the DJI GO app even allow me to take off that close to a tower controlled airport?

How do I get past the software restrictions when it's clearly legal for me to fly inside a closed structure.

Thanks,
Robert

You can fly in a non GPS mode, by putting a few layers of aluminum foil over the top of your drone to block the GPS antenna. Maybe the roof of the warehouse has already done that for you?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I thought maybe the roof of the warehouse would sufficiently block the GPS signal but wasn't sure if I could still take off.

But if I put aluminum foil over the antennas, is that going to interfere with the controller's communication with the drone?

Robert

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I thought maybe the roof of the warehouse would sufficiently block the GPS signal but wasn't sure if I could still take off.

But if I put aluminum foil over the antennas, is that going to interfere with the controller's communication with the drone?

Robert
No, but you have to do all stability in flying it. No auto function for returning home.
You should practice it first.

Reactions: heynewt
Right. Good to remember. Makes it more challenging for sure without all the GPS stabilization.

Robert

When inside make sure to turn off RTH and set to hold and hover if you lose com. Turn on VPS and OA. Dept perception may be tricky so make sure that you clear obstacles. Like WV said you have to control all as VPS has it's limits. Room ventilation may have fun with you. Keep your eyes on the craft all (most) of the time, yea you have to frame the shot, you should be impressed on how good they fly ondoors, I was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
When inside make sure to turn off RTH and set to hold and hover if you lose com. Turn on VPS and OA. Dept perception may be tricky so make sure that you clear obstacles. Like WV said you have to control all as VPS has it's limits. Room ventilation may have fun with you. Keep your eyes on the craft all (most) of the time, yea you have to frame the shot, you should be impressed on how good they fly ondoors, I was.

Yep. You’ll be flying in ATTI mode, so will be affected by blowing ventilation fans. Keep a good grip on right stick all the time to counteract the “breeze”.

Also try using Tripod mode. That slows all your inputs down. Less likely to over react & fly too fast.

The P4p’s are way more stable inside than the P3’s ever were though.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl