Prop Damage. Replace?

Reaction score
AF1QipNSIjetHnQnavBGy5cCNzURBOAV0iCVXIPGB2gm

AF1QipPheISn7Kyo3Sm8Yw7h8kmU58E1OWvVfDCjsLaM

Your images are not displaying. Please repost them.

If those are just scuff marks (and not damage from striking a solid object), then you'd likely be fine if you continue using them.

The damage occurred the first day I had it, when I somehow managed to flip it on the driveway...I shut it down as quickly as i could.
I have been flying this way, seemingly without issue, but I have nothing to compare to.
If you look closely, you can see a small piece that broke off on on one end.

If my props ever strike anything solid, I like to replace them just to be safe. If you're going to keep using them, make sure you inspect the top and bottom of the hub area (in the center) carefully to ensure there are no small cracks/chips. If you lose a prop mid-flight, your Phantom will drop like a rock.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If you look closely, you can see a small piece that broke off on on one end
Its not necessarily the minor chips that are the issue. It will fly with the light damage, but they will not be in balance. That is the issue. Just
replace them.

If you saw the recent thread where a prop broke in mid flight, you know the result. Props are too cheap to use with any damage, not like a conventional winged craft where it will glide!:(

I would swap them out for the spare set you got in the box and try not to tip over again !!

The old ones ... you need to carefully check along the blades and hub for any signs of stress. You can twist / bend slightly to check. The chips at end can be 'dressed' of with sandpaper or file, making all 4 props same - then balance. BUT only keep them as emergency standbys when waiting for new ones in the post etc. I would not use them unless absolutely needed.
As others say - new are cheap enough ... and buy a few sets - not just one set ... once you have them - BIN the damaged ones !

Nigel

Reactions: HighTechPauper
If you saw the recent thread where a prop broke in mid flight, you know the result. Props are too cheap to use with any damage, not like a conventional winged craft where it will glide!:(

Actually if a fixed winger has a blade shed at speed or when throttle used to punch out - I've seen front ends of the fuselage and mount shatter ... and that don't glide !!

I even saw the results of a shed blade on the ground when electric engine was throttled before flight ...

Todays models have skeletal structures that are fine when all is good - but alter one or more factors and you can have a mess ...

Just saying ... don't think that Fixed wing will glide - there are many occasions you wish they would !!

Nigel

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thanks for the replies all.
I do plan to replace them.
Funny how this hobby goes. First it was the used copter, then an extra battery, then a used Nexus 7 tablet and of course a holder for that, then a set of ND filters, then it was the ITELITE antenna.
Now its props. It does add up!

Funny how this hobby goes. First it was the used copter, then an extra battery, then a used Nexus 7 tablet and of course a holder for that, then a set of ND filters, then it was the ITELITE antenna.
Ah, hobbies, you gotta love them! ;)

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
You wanna see the second floor of my house .............. you literally cannot move for models of all descriptions !

Nigel

Don't we know it!

I would have to say, consider how your copter flies. It doesn't have wings and instead flies by thrust alone. The thrust is provided by the props and directional control is provided by varying the speed of the props, varying the lift on each axis. If lift fails on any point on the axis, you get drag on that point, and the copter spins and dives. Depending on the height of the prop failure, the spin and dive accellerates into a death spiral. You might try to recover from this and land safely, but that would be a feat only an expert pilot might achieve. Might! Replace the props!

I would have to say, consider how your copter flies. It doesn't have wings and instead flies by thrust alone. The thrust is provided by the props and directional control is provided by varying the speed of the props, varying the lift on each axis. If lift fails on any point on the axis, you get drag on that point, and the copter spins and dives. Depending on the height of the prop failure, the spin and dive accellerates into a death spiral. You might try to recover from this and land safely, but that would be a feat only an expert pilot might achieve. Might! Replace the props!

The above is true, in extremis - but the Flight Controller is able to vary power to motors sufficiently to cater for quite large differences in prop thrust. The usual indicators are :

1. Vibration
2. Out of synch motor sound
3. AC's difference in movement speed in one direction to others
4. Flight time shorter.

Nigel

The above is true, in extremis - but the Flight Controller is able to vary power to motors sufficiently to cater for quite large differences in prop thrust. The usual indicators are :

1. Vibration
2. Out of synch motor sound
3. AC's difference in movement speed in one direction to others
4. Flight time shorter.

Nigel

Interesting. Does this mean that if a motor were to fail, that the software could do an autorotation compensation of sorts? Or that if a prop came off (or was destroyed) the software can compensate through the counter motor and allow the craft to at least land without going totally out of control? Pretty cool if they've built that into it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel