Project MotorPixie - Open Source 2-axis gimbal for P2V

Pull_Up said:
Do the video, you don't have to have your face in it. Only my arms, kitchen table and dog have been seen in mine. ;)

And his crystal tumbler full of "Jack" :D

DKDarkness said:
alexmla said:
DKDarkness said:
Oh by the way, the controller board apparently needs to be configured, before you take it on a spin.

And calibrated. Out of the box the basic basecam firmware will not work with your setup. Any time you make changes to the setup, you probably first have to adjust that in the settings as well. So even if you are able to move the mount back and forth to accommodate different cameras or the lens mount for example, the actual force required to move the camera will change (as its weight goes up). You can store several settings inside basecam (i believe up to three?) and you can program the unit so that the switch on the board will cycle between these profiles. So once you have let's say a profile for FC200, FC200 with lensmount, and one for Gopro (or whatever else you strap on there), you can just switch between them, without having to get into the basecam software again.

I just uploaded at cheat sheet "MotorPixie BaseCam IMU calibration cheat sheet", find it here: https://sites.google.com/site/motorpixi ... /Resources and please tell me what you think (I might do a video myself in the future, but I am a bit camera shy :)
Will this same apply to a 3 axis gimble..... Btw...keep it going. You make it look so easy. Great job. Thank you

My understanding of 3-axis gimbals is, that the controller board it self also has a IMU build in, which I presume must be calibrated as well. But this is guess work on my part. When I need to configure a 3-axis gimbal, I will know more :)

DKDarkness said:
My understanding of 3-axis gimbals is, that the controller board it self also has a IMU build in, which I presume must be calibrated as well. But this is guess work on my part. When I need to configure a 3-axis gimbal, I will know more :)
Having played with Basecam's 3-axis daughter board already, the existing IMU covers all axes. The 3rd axis board only adds motor drivers and a connection to be controlled via the ATMEL processor. So adding third axis is as simple as connecting the 3rd motor to the 3rd axis board and then the board to the existing basecam board. That's all. Software is already there, just enable 3rd axis and you are good to go.

DKDarkness said:
I just assumed that the IMU on the camera would need a reference point for the follow mode to be used? "Am I now off by more than 5%?" kind of thing?
Yes, but the IMU already measures acceleration on all 3 axes. So calibrating a IMU is just nothing more than storing a set of values as a starting point. Any acceleration on any axis then results in a corrective opposite action by the controller board.

When doing my first test flight I damaged my propellers as well as the roll gimbal motor. The replacement has been ordered, but there seems to be some trouble with the hobbyking.com site, so I don't really know when I will be able to continue my testing. It's really down to the real life test now, I need to see, if the gimble will shake or make decent videos, before I can determine if it is a success or not.

How do you remove the camera from the stock gimbal? I removed the gromet and tiny screw behind it but the camera still seems to be solidly attached, don't want to force anything.

Stealthdude said:
How do you remove the camera from the stock gimbal? I removed the gromet and tiny screw behind it but the camera still seems to be solidly attached, don't want to force anything.

It is a bit tricky. The cheap servo is attached to the camera with the tiny screw through a nylon bushing. The nylon bushing is still in place, that is why you can't easily remove the servo part. The bushing is pushed onto the servo rod from the outside (where you removed the screw) so you need to fiddle a little to get the bushing out. I usually push the bushing gently from the inside till it lets go :)

Stealthdude said:
I may add: there are three small screws on top of the servo frame (holding a black plastic cover into place). Remove those 3 screws, pull out that cover, and the servo comes out (mark servo positions with a pencil or so on the frame). Now the camera comes off easily with no hassle at all.

teji said:
Hello !
Like explained in other pages, i work on new open design too.
Here is the camera holder, in beta version.
It's maybye easier to reproduce Than your (fantastic cause very simple) metal version !
I don't have motors (yet) to test and choice exact motor place (then hole)....
but it fit correctly the fc200.
it's just a "form & profile validation" part ! ;-)
Did you prefer i make the 3D printed version of your holder (via lower fixation) ?
Thanks...
where can I get design for printing

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik