Problem with the Plus' cameras ....

CarlJ said:
Edit: It looks like the camera supports ADOBE DNG RAW, did you happen to film using that setting?

I may be wrong, but so far as I can see you only have RAW in stills.
So several posts above are somewhat misleading.

Where was that other quote from suggesting Vision Plus shoots RAW video?
It may be there is a way to make it do it.

4wd said:
CarlJ said:
Edit: It looks like the camera supports ADOBE DNG RAW, did you happen to film using that setting?

I may be wrong, but so far as I can see you only have RAW in stills.
So several posts above are somewhat misleading.

Where was that other quote from suggesting Vision Plus shoots RAW video?
It may be there is a way to make it do it.

Not owning the camera, I'm just relying on what I'm reading.

The camera on the Vision+, though it looks different, also seems to be the same, at least in specs: an f2.8 lens paired with a 14-megapixel 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor that can capture Adobe DNG raw or JPEG images and video at up to 1080p at 30fps. You can also control ISO, exposure compensation, and white balance, and choose from 140-, 120-, or 90-degree field of view.

Is there any video samples recorded by visionplus that colour corrected and has no flashing shadows??

canerakcil said:
Is there any video samples recorded by visionplus that colour corrected and has no flashing shadows??

Yes, and I believe the flashing you're referring too has something to do with the rolling shutter of the camera. I have to wonder if using a neutral density filter wouldn't improve that. The poster of this video remarked in order for him to get really good shot he'd need to slow down.

"I shot this in the 1080P 25p. It shoots up to 30p in 1080p. 60p is available in 720p. Avoid the in camera sharpening. I shot this in the "soft" setting. It is that indeed. Really quite soft. I have had to do a lot of work on the footage to try to bring it to life. I still haven't quite succeeded. The standard and high setting are very harsh and unnatural video like. Avoid them! I have done so much sharpening on this footage."

I'll leave you to read the rest of his remarks: http://vimeo.com/92122965

Here's the simple truth about the Vision+'s camera or any camera for that matter. If you're expecting the camera to do all the work, you're going to be really disappointed. I've seen film makers tear a video apart using just one element of a shot, and rebuilding it with set extensions and 3D camera tracking to get what they want.

My point is it takes some work, the guys shooting in 2k protune have to polish their footage as well. You need to read, read, read, and experiment, experiment, experiment. You have to be creative in thinking of ways to overcome the limitations you're dealing with. And most importantly you need a goal! Is your goal to go professional and play with the big boys, or do you just want to crank something out for friends and family to enjoy?

Then you gotta be happy with the choice you made, and if you're not, it maybe time to take your hobby to the next level.

Much of this depends on you, and very little on the camera.

I'm new to all of this but have a couple suggestions, based on my brief experience with the Vision Plus.
1) I believe the flashing has to do with the camera using a shutter speed that is not compatible with the frame rate. For instance I've had by far the most flicker/flashing in 720p60 mode on a bright day. Since we can't control the shutter, try a different frame rate and see what happens.
2) I've been fixing the fisheye using Magic Bullet Looks, a plugin for various editing packages (Final Cut, Premiere, etc). Works great.
3) I was horrified when I saw the compression artifacts on YouTube videos but realized I have no problems when flying the way I would choose to anyway (slowly and gracefully, the way I'm used to seeing aerial footage from helicopters and planes). For fast action, I was more satisfied with 720p60.
4) Definitely set white balance in the app prior to flying.
5) I admit that I'm disappointed with the picture quality in general, but that's because I'm used to shooting on $6k cameras. No one else that I've shown the footage has any problem with it, because it is so graceful and shake-free. Therefore the camera is a loser if you're making a movie, but awesome for consumer and industrial applications. Still the best price/feature set so far in 2014.

panhygrous pantler said:
CarlJ said:

Much of what can be done in post depends upon the camera and the quality of the video that it is capable of capturing.

Allow me to refer you back to the "goals" section of that post. :p

Galgomite said:
I'm new to all of this but have a couple suggestions, based on my brief experience with the Vision Plus.
1) I believe the flashing has to do with the camera using a shutter speed that is not compatible with the frame rate. For instance I've had by far the most flicker/flashing in 720p60 mode on a bright day. Since we can't control the shutter, try a different frame rate and see what happens.
2) I've been fixing the fisheye using Magic Bullet Looks, a plugin for various editing packages (Final Cut, Premiere, etc). Works great.
3) I was horrified when I saw the compression artifacts on YouTube videos but realized I have no problems when flying the way I would choose to anyway (slowly and gracefully, the way I'm used to seeing aerial footage from helicopters and planes). For fast action, I was more satisfied with 720p60.
4) Definitely set white balance in the app prior to flying.
5) I admit that I'm disappointed with the picture quality in general, but that's because I'm used to shooting on $6k cameras. No one else that I've shown the footage has any problem with it, because it is so graceful and shake-free. Therefore the camera is a loser if you're making a movie, but awesome for consumer and industrial applications. Still the best price/feature set so far in 2014.

You don't sound new to me. :cool:

CarlJ said:
panhygrous pantler said:
CarlJ said:

Much of what can be done in post depends upon the camera and the quality of the video that it is capable of capturing.

Allow me to refer you back to the "goals" section of that post. :p

That does not excuse nor fix the erroneous claim that you made.

panhygrous pantler said:

There is nothing to fix, if they really want professional results they can go buy a RED. Now all you need to do is figure out how to get the RED in the air for them...it was your idea after all.

You're really gonna pull me away from playing with VCP's Shockwave for this? Have you no cooth?

CarlJ said:
panhygrous pantler said:

There is nothing to fix, if they really want professional results they can go buy a RED. Now all you need to do is figure out how to get the RED in the air for them...it was your idea after all.

You're really gonna pull me away from playing with VCP's Shockwave for this? Have you no cooth?

You're deflecting. Garbage in = garbage out. You can spend lots of time in post trying to fix the garbage but that's moron the editor(as you erroneously claim) that's on the low quality video from the camera.

panhygrous pantler said:
CarlJ said:
panhygrous pantler said:

You're deflecting. Garbage in = garbage out. You can spend lots of time in post trying to fix the garbage but that's moron the editor(as you erroneously claim) that's on the low quality video from the camera.

I'm not deflecting, you're not understanding what I'm saying. Compared to a RED a GoPro Black is a joke as far as cameras are concerned, but people still make amazing videos with the Black. If we gave my granny a RED, and she shot 15 mins of footage of her toes, it'd be beautiful, but worthless junk.

What about this video, it's not what I call high quality, but still funny as hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c41LUKdIlI

There is something to what you're saying, but I think plus owners need to look at the total machine, and use the strengths of the platform in creative ways...and maybe record in 720p (yikes).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj