Problem linking controller to Phantom receiver!

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have what I think is a unique problem. I have a Phantom 1. Had it about two months and have had many successful flight. Recently crashed it into some trees and it slightly bent one of the arms to where the motor would not turn without the prop scrapping the top of the arm. There was no other problems with the quad. I bought a new upper and lower shell and carefully moved everything to the new shell making sure everything was connected just as it came from the old frame. Now here is my problem. Once I got everything back I tried to do a test got continuous flashing yellow light from the drone. Looking up the problem in manual says the link between the controller and the receiver is gone. Following the linking procedure in the advanced manual is not working; in fact it seems like a totally different issue. What I mean is the manual says when you hook up to usb and power the phantom and controller; if you have a solid red light then you don't have a link, then follow the procedure to make the link. So here is where my problem is. If I power the phantom and have it hooked to the usb on the computer, the link light is solid red, but when I turn on the controller, the link light turns green. There is no mention of a green link light in any literature I've found. Additionally, the manual says hold the link light button for three seconds until it starts flashing and then turn on controller while holding the power stick down. This is the linking procedure and the problem with that is after holding the button down till it flashes, it only flashes for two more seconds at the most and then goes back to solid.
Needless to say I can't calibrate the phantom. The only thing I can do once in the NAZM software is a motor test and that works as expected. TX and RX Calibration of stick movement is basically dead. The sliders are all black in the software and doesn't do anything. It appears that it can do a basic and advanced IMU calibration using, at least it goes through the motions and completes. Anyway, I don't know if it is truly a link problem as described above or something else. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and one more thing. When I hooked up to do the calibration, I was get a CFG-ERR pop up in the bottom right corner of my screen. One of the things I thought to do was change the batteries in my controller because I never changed then from when I first started using it even though the light on the controller is green when I turn it on. That said, the error I get now when hooking up is ERROR(27); saying "GPS not calibrated, or magnetic field interference. Please calibrate GPS again in good condition.'
I really don't know what to do at this point!

Last edited:
Do you have a Phantom 1.1, 1.2, or 1.1.1? Try linking without being connected to the computer. Connect the battery to the Phantom and don't press the button yet. The light inside the Phantom will be red. Then turn on the remote. The light will flash green. Then hold the button down for three seconds, the light should turn solid green.

I know this is different than what the manual says to do. When linking my FC40 I had to press the button before turning on the remote, with my P1.1.1 the button has to be pressed after turning on the remote.

Yours may be different but that's how it works for me. I just tested it now with two different controllers, taking turns linking them both separately. Pressing the button before turning on the remote makes it flash a few times but doesn't seem to be necessary.

Your error code may be because the Phantom is too close to your computer or other magnetic interference. Move it as far away as possible and the error code should disappear.

Do you have a Phantom 1.1, 1.2, or 1.1.1? Try linking without being connected to the computer. Connect the battery to the Phantom and don't press the button yet. The light inside the Phantom will be red. Then turn on the remote. The light will flash green. Then hold the button down for three seconds, the light should turn solid green.

I know this is different than what the manual says to do. When linking my FC40 I had to press the button before turning on the remote, with my P1.1.1 the button has to be pressed after turning on the remote.

Yours may be different but that's how it works for me. I just tested it now with two different controllers, taking turns linking them both separately. Pressing the button before turning on the remote makes it flash a few times but doesn't seem to be necessary.

Your error code may be because the Phantom is too close to your computer or other magnetic interference. Move it as far away as possible and the error code should disappear.
Hello Woody,
Thanks for the reply. My Phantom is 1.1.1; I can try what you say but when not connected, I can connect the battery to power on and turn on the controller; at this time the light turns solid green by itself. It does not flash green. So I tried even though the light was already a solid green and nothing changed. Still got the continuous flashing yellow light from the Phantom.

If the light is solid green then it's linked to the controller. Is the S1 switch is the GPS position? Maybe you cracked the ceramic antenna on the GPS module when you crashed?

If the light is solid green then it's linked to the controller. Is the S1 switch is the GPS position? Maybe you cracked the ceramic antenna on the GPS module when you crashed?

If you mean the GPS switch on the controller then yes it is set in the GPS mode. Unfortunately, I don't know where this ceramic antenna is. Can you explain or attach a pic so I can identify it?

It's in the top half of the shell, the module that the compass cable connects to. You'll have to take it out to check it because the ceramic antenna is on the topside.

Are you sure you reconnected the compass cable to the GPS module and connected the GPS module to the NAZA when you transferred to a new shell?

product_gps_repair_before.jpg

Hey Woody,
The GPS module look intake. Here is a couple of pics

Attachments

• 20150610_215151.jpg
    20150610_215151.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 496
  • 20150610_215416.jpg
    20150610_215416.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
with the picture blown up I can see what may be hairline cracks but then again they may just be scratches so sorry I can't say for sure. I'm not an expert, just trying to help the best I can.

Maybe somebody else will be able to tell you what's wrong. Good luck Nadee and keep us posted.

with the picture blown up I can see what may be hairline cracks but then again they may just be scratches so sorry I can't say for sure. I'm not an expert, just trying to help the best I can.

Maybe somebody else will be able to tell you what's wrong. Good luck Nadee and keep us posted.
Well thanks for you input Woody. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll find a solution at some point. Hopefully someone will see the post that had a similar problem.

1. Did you follow the bind procedure to bind the r/c to the receiver?
2. Did you make sure the correct receiver type is set in the Assistant?
3. Did you make sure to connect the cables correctly between the receiver and the Naza?

1. Did you follow the bind procedure to bind the r/c to the receiver?
2. Did you make sure the correct receiver type is set in the Assistant?
3. Did you make sure to connect the cables correctly between the receiver and the Naza?
1 and 2 check. Not sure what you mean by 3. I've done this multiple times before the problem began so I'm fairly sure I've been do it properly since then.

When you put everything back in the new shell, did you make sure the cables from the receiver to the Naza module were plugged in correctly? Is your receiver the PPM version with only 1 cable, or the D-Bus version with 2 cables?

Just curious, is this your new shell?
20150610_215151.jpg

When you put everything back in the new shell, did you make sure the cables from the receiver to the Naza module were plugged in correctly? Is your receiver the PPM version with only 1 cable, or the D-Bus version with 2 cables?

If you look at the picture I posted of inside the shell; I believe it is the Dbus version according to your description. I am certain I hooked every thing up the way it was taken out. So the interesting think is, when I hook up the two cables to the Naza module the correct way. I get the yellow blinking lights, however, if I swap the two cables I get it looks like normal operation but when i hook it to the computer, the computer throws an error saying it doesn't recognize what was plugged into the usb.

If the cables are plugged in correctly, you should see the receiver firmware version on the Assistant software.
Well, at least that verifies that one cable is plugged in right. I think it's:
X1 = receiver firmware cable
X2 = receiver D-Bus cable
X3 = power/voltage sense cable (from main board)

If the cables are plugged in correctly, you should see the receiver firmware version on the Assistant software.
Well, at least that verifies that one cable is plugged in right. I think it's:
X1 = receiver firmware cable
X2 = receiver D-Bus cable
X3 = power/voltage sense cable (from main board)

Hello CityZen,
After reading your post, I decided to go back and look at all my connections. I thought maybe I did cross some connections when putting back together. After changing a couple of the connections I was able to connect and calibrate again like normal. I thought sure that I did it correctly the first time but obviously I didn't. Never-the-less, the problem is solved now and I thank you very much for your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.