Preventive Measures

M

mattweikel

I have a phantom 2 vision + v3.0 esc 2.1 . I was wondering what we're some things I could do to prevent any major crashes such as extra soldering on the motor wires due to vibrations. Any suggestions or help would be awesome. I've already done my antenna mod and my amps should be here tomorrow. Now I'm just worried that after all this time and effort I've put in to this , that it all could just be destroyed in 5 seconds. Thank you!!

Apart from all the standard pre-flight checks, I always clean the battery sensor contact pads with a little contact cleaner and wipe with a cotton bud before flying. Also, I never leave the battery in place when storing or transporting the Phantom, always remove it when not in use. Leaving the battery in place compresses the sprung terminal contacts and could eventually lead to the springs weakening and causing poor contact. I have no definate proof but I suspect poor contact on the sensor pads could be the cause of many motor-stop crashes. Also as mentioned by msinger, hot glue or silicone adhesive on the motor wires close to where they are soldered onto the ESC to protect agains vibration is a must do. Also, balance the props properly to reduce vibration.
Hope some of the suggestions are helpful.

Make sure you have the silicon blob close to the ends of the wires where they are soldered on to the esc's, and separate those wires so they do not touch each other or anything else. And the full gps shielding, don't over tighten the tiny phillips head screws at the ends of the arms, and get a gimbal crash guard. I have seen posts where folks say the gimbal guard isn't needed anymore, that DJI fixed this problem, but for me it is cheap insurance. And in my opinion I think it's better to land on a clean dry hard surface, instead of grass. Or hand catch.
The internet is full of mis-information and you have to get all the info you can to make the best decision that you can. This your investment, not theirs. Even though I have come to the conclusion that most fly-aways are self inflicted, and I have over 200 flights under my belt now, I am still looking for a reasonable tracker of some kind, just because of my total investment. I don't want to see 1200.00 fly off into the sunset. haha probably getting close to 1600.00 now but don't tell the wife haha

I agree with the above. Careful routines before flying are a good safeguard - ie checking Phantom correctly identifies home point etc. I also believe a major risk is having "low battery auto return home" enabled. If the machine thinks home is a long way away - as it sometimes can if you're flying from a new location - then it would head off as soon as you take off! But then keep a careful watch on your battery life and have the sound turned up on your phone/tablet to ensure you get the loud audible warning.

I do know that silicone (without acetic acid curing) is superior to hot glue for vibration damping, but I read differing opinions about the coverage of solder joints and wires. Is it best to put silicone over the motor wire solder joints and taper back up onto the wires from the ESCs or (as above) "close to the ends of the wires"?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

here's a picture of mine from the factory.

blob.jpg

here's a picture of mine from the factory.

View attachment 18803
Really, that glue job is from the Factory? What a sloppy job they did, if anything they should have added a dab to each of the contacts to the ESC. I think that adds xtra weight, ( may not be much ) but IMO that is terrible. This is the Vision + ? I have the Vision+ and I have no glue blobbed on like that....

Last edited:
Really, that glue job id from the Factory? What a sloppy job they did, if anything they should have added a dab to each of the contacts to the ESC. I think that adds xtra weight, ( may not be much ) but IMO that is terrible. This is the Vision + ? I have the Vision+ and I have no glue blobbed on like that....

They started doing it after they realized they had a problem with their design. Mine came back with a strip of heat shrink wrapped around the ESC. DJI innovation - LMAO.

Reactions: SOLARFLARIN
No kidding, I have the Vision+ v 3.0, my wires are connected by solder only, nothing securing the wires. It's a good idea, because now I'm gonna secure my motor leads as well, but man DJI 's QC department need a refresher course or something....

Yup,
Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3 model PV331serial number starts with PH645
haha and I picked the best picture out of 4 haha
Yeahs it's sloppy but it's factory so I'm ok with it. I also separated the 3 motor wires so they do not touch each other or anything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.