DBS Antenna Mod Problems

Reaction score
I bought the ITELITE DBS Antenna mod thinking it would be the answer to all of my range and connectivity problems. But as I was connecting the cable from my controller to port 1 of the antenna, I just couldn't get it to tighten. I then realized that port 1 was spinning as I tightened the cable. I tightened port 1 to prevent it from spinning again and everything seemed fine. However, I have not seen a major increase in range and connectivity since I installed it. My brother in law is able to fly his factory standard the same distance as I can when testing. I have not had a chance to take it to a place with no interference yet but I am worried that I could have damaged the internal antenna. I have not been able to get any response from DBS to date and I am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues, or knows anything more about the antenna internals than I do.

When it was in original factory condition, I was able to get about 1100' range at 400' high. Now I am able go out to about 1400' and loose both RC and video connection. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would think that you should get much more than that.
You said that when you were connecting the cable to port one that it was just spinning?
It may be possible that you have twisted the the wire inside the connector off, or severely damaged it..
Is yours a Standard as well?

Yes it is a standard. I can't find any pictures of the DBS internals to have an idea what I could have messed up. I don't think it spun an excessive amount, but it was enough to cause concern, especially with the range issues. My biggest issue right now besides the range is that I cannot get any support from the makers. And it was delivered to me in that state because I did not attempt to connect anything to the port prior to installation.

I know I am in a location that has interference, but I figure I should at least get more than 300' compared to another standard.

I had seen a post recently of someone else asking for the internals of the DBS antenna. They couldn't come up with any pictures except one that was from a P2 forum here. You can try searching for that. I will see what I can find as well to try and help you out.

BTW.. Welcome to the site.

this is the one I was talking about. I don't think it will help you much. I searched Youtube as well as google for internal view if DBS antenna. Seems they don't want anyone to know what's inside..LOL

Attachments

• 20140614_084925_zpshryiaemm.jpg
    20140614_084925_zpshryiaemm.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,000
Reactions: dirkclod
My DBS doubled my range, but only if I maintain line of sight, and orient the mod towards the bird.

The other thing I wonder is if it is such a congested area that it doesn't really matter what you have on it. I loose video sometimes when not loosing RC at all ranges. Do you think amps/boosters would make any difference?

That's something I cannot answer. In your case, you may want to upgrade to an Advanced or a Pro.They are getting cheaper every day, and some parts interchange (motors, blades, batteries). Add to the arsenal...

Thank you for the help looking. I wish DBS would just reply, it would be much easier. Tech I would love to upgrade, just trying to make the best with what I have at this point. And I don't know if I would be able to hide another one from my wife for long enough to be worth it [emoji12]

I can respond because I also had the same problem and I requested a return from my AMAZON seller, but decided to take matters into my own hands. I opened up the dbs mod with my dremel to find 2 antennas inside. Interestingly the 2 2.4ghz antennas connected to the same panel.

The spinning of the dbs port is because the back side wasn't properly glued on. I know, because i saw the two that were spinning didn't hvae enough glue. PORT 3 which has alot of glue was very tight and I had a hard time pulling it out of the aluminum back panel.

I have now totally dremeled away the top and decided to solder the connection directly to the back of the antenna.

I dont recommend this, because my DBS mod looks like a ghetto mod at this point, but I was driven to this point because of the same problem as the OP.

I"ll have some pictures for they guys afterwards.

I'm finding the courage to want to build my own now that I see how simple it is.

I'm going to test out my mod tonight to see what happened to the distance. Hopefully I didn't mess it up too much.

I can respond because I also had the same problem and I requested a return from my AMAZON seller, but decided to take matters into my own hands. I opened up the dbs mod with my dremel to find 2 antennas inside. Interestingly the 2 2.4ghz antennas connected to the same panel.

The spinning of the dbs port is because the back side wasn't properly glued on. I know, because i saw the two that were spinning didn't hvae enough glue. PORT 3 which has alot of glue was very tight and I had a hard time pulling it out of the aluminum back panel.

I have now totally dremeled away the top and decided to solder the connection directly to the back of the antenna.

I dont recommend this, because my DBS mod looks like a ghetto mod at this point, but I was driven to this point because of the same problem as the OP.

I"ll have some pictures for they guys afterwards.

I'm finding the courage to want to build my own now that I see how simple it is.

I'm going to test out my mod tonight to see what happened to the distance. Hopefully I didn't mess it up too much.
DZ, please do post some shots of the innards, if you can. I'd love to see what makes mine tick!

Reactions: dirkclod
DZ, please do post some shots of the innards, if you can. I'd love to see what makes mine tick!
Yes that would be great. I just searched all over the net looking for pic of the inside. It would be a first.

I had seen a post recently of someone else asking for the internals of the DBS antenna. They couldn't come up with any pictures except one that was from a P2 forum here. You can try searching for that. I will see what I can find as well to try and help you out.

BTW.. Welcome to the site.
That was my post asking for a picture of the inside of the DBS setup.

Drone-Z, please post some images of the innards. I'm wondering if all that is inside is another pair of 2.4GHz patch antennas, and a third patch antenna for the 5.8 as well, but maybe with multiple plates to bring it up in dB.

Andy

Im on the road, but when I get to my computer Ill upload the pictures. There are only 2 flat panel antennas inside. 1 for 5.8ghz and 1 for 2.4ghz. Port 2 and 3 which are for 2.4ghz are actually connected to 1 single flat panel antenna.

Be careful about apinning the port too much, eventually mine fell off.

Please let me know what you had to do and if it worked. Maybe I could have a chance of preventing a ghetto mod.

That picture is correct. Dont solder it. It doesnt work as I thought. Ill be throwing this away and trying fpvlr.

I bought the ITELITE DBS Antenna mod thinking it would be the answer to all of my range and connectivity problems. But as I was connecting the cable from my controller to port 1 of the antenna, I just couldn't get it to tighten. I then realized that port 1 was spinning as I tightened the cable. I tightened port 1 to prevent it from spinning again and everything seemed fine. However, I have not seen a major increase in range and connectivity since I installed it. My brother in law is able to fly his factory standard the same distance as I can when testing. I have not had a chance to take it to a place with no interference yet but I am worried that I could have damaged the internal antenna. I have not been able to get any response from DBS to date and I am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues, or knows anything more about the antenna internals than I do.

When it was in original factory condition, I was able to get about 1100' range at 400' high. Now I am able go out to about 1400' and loose both RC and video connection. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I also live in WiFi congested area.. Before DBS mod i was getting 1,000-1,800' feet on average.
After installing DBS mod, my distance increased to approx 3,700'
After adding amps, my distance went up to 5,700' - 9,200' - 11,000' (tried a few times with 5,700' being the lowest, 9,200' average, 11,000+max, in very WiFi congested area).
Over water with amp i got over 16,700'.
With P3Pro (no mods) over my high interference area i was able to get 8,600' max (so far). So my P3S with mods beats P3P with no mods.
Something to consider if you plan on getting a P3 Advanced or Pro.
There is def a problem with your DBS mod !
Keep trying to reach the seller, hopefully he can replace it for you! Good luck!

I wasn't sure if it was or not drone and good luck . I have had both and just got rid of my FPVLR .
It does go farther but I had to be higher . Guess it just depends on where you are .
This just is more compact for me and have them on both of my TX's .
I still use Tony's dipoles for my birdsides on my Standard but see he has change them up .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj