Premiere CC

Reaction score
I’m using Premiere Pro and a PC. Some clips that open fine in windows media viewer (it whatever it’s called on a windows machine) don’t open with premiere. The program says that the file is messed up. Did anyone see such a thing? Any ideas what to do?

I’m using Premiere Pro and a PC. Some clips that open fine in windows media viewer (it whatever it’s called on a windows machine) don’t open with premiere. The program says that the file is messed up. Did anyone see such a thing? Any ideas what to do?
What's the file extension and what exactly is the error message? I don't think "File Is Messed Up" is an actual error message.

What's the file extension and what exactly is the error message? I don't think "File Is Messed Up" is an actual error message.

Normal files. Right out of the camera. MOV files. The actual message is “unsupported format or damaged file.” The file opens perfectly fine not in premiere.

Normal files. Right out of the camera. MOV files. The actual message is “unsupported format or damaged file.” The file opens perfectly fine not in premiere.
To be safe, make a copy of the file and save it with a different name. Adding "copy" to to the name always works! Then take that copy and change the extension to .MPG and try opening it. And if you have any other .MOV files not recorded with the AC, test those out as well.

I have also heard Adobe does not support support variable frame rates codecs that's what your drone may be using.

Reactions: Hikaru Sulu
Both good advice. Thank you. I had experience with variable codec recently. A true pain. Didn’t know that the drone might do that.

To be safe, make a copy of the file and save it with a different name. Adding "copy" to to the name always works! Then take that copy and change the extension to .MPG and try opening it. And if you have any other .MOV files not recorded with the AC, test those out as well.

I have also heard Adobe does not support support variable frame rates codecs that's what your drone may be using.

That did it. Thank you. mp4 worked.

Reactions: LarBear360
I've got a brand new 6 CORE 7th GEN i7-7800X 4Ghz CPU with GTX1080ti GPU, an Alienware computer with 1TB SSD + 2TB rotating drive for storage. This is a nice computer that literally rips with all my applications, except Premiere Pro CC2018. When it works, it works fine using 720 resolution proxies, and 4K video proxies are rendered fairly quick. However in the last week all of a sudden it has been acting really weird. The app wouldn't load or launch earlier this week. Rebooting the computer did nothing to resolve that. Suddenly, with no changes, that went away and the app suddenly started working properly. Head scratcher. Then the app would launch and half the tools wouldn't work as normal, you couldn't drag clips or the timeline, stupid behavior that not acceptable. Then all of a sudden everything starts working mid-week. Then tonight the app is frozen from the get-go, nothing works at all after the app launches and I open my previous project. Rebooting the computer doesn't help. Really strange that such an EXPENSIVE app doesn't just work. I rarely see this behavior in computer apps these days, but PP CC 2018 is a huge app it seems, very bloated. I see parallels to DJI, not testing their software adequately before release, making customers become their beta testers. I may have to search for another app that's more reliable if their online help can't resolve this situation.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior from CC 2018 with Windows 10? I'm I alone?

John: We had problems with a new Dell laptop - 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor and good graphics - but with DaVinci Resolve 14 rather than Premiere Pro. The BlackMagic Design tech people in the UK were excellent and tried their best to find a solution or workaround for weeks, but couldn't identify exactly why it was going wrong. An update for Windows 10 was identified as being at least partly responsible for the sudden failure. We then experienced exactly the same failure for Sony Catalyst Browse and Prepare, probably not a coincidence. Since, we've been fine with Magix's Vegas Pro 15 Edit.

So, at least generally, you're not alone. Today's technology is great when it works but frustrating when it doesn't, as we assume the former as norm (usually with good reason).

I hope you soon find a solution. BlackMagic Design's DaVinci Resolve 14 (free version) is excellent, even if we're sadly unable to use it on our Dell laptop, and it's winning over previous users of Premiere Pro for good reason.

John: We had problems with a new Dell laptop - 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor and good graphics - but with DaVinci Resolve 14 rather than Premiere Pro. The BlackMagic Design tech people in the UK were excellent and tried their best to find a solution or workaround for weeks, but couldn't identify exactly why it was going wrong. An update for Windows 10 was identified as being at least partly responsible for the sudden failure. We then experienced exactly the same failure for Sony Catalyst Browse and Prepare, probably not a coincidence. Since, we've been fine with Magix's Vegas Pro 15 Edit.

So, at least generally, you're not alone. Today's technology is great when it works but frustrating when it doesn't, as we assume the former as norm (usually with good reason).

I hope you soon find a solution. BlackMagic Design's DaVinci Resolve 14 (free version) is excellent, even if we're sadly unable to use it on our Dell laptop, and it's winning over previous users of Premiere Pro for good reason.
Thanks for the input. Last night I found a solution. I ditched Premiere Pro CC 2018. :oops:

Upon the recommendation of GadgetGuy, I loaded PremierePro CC2017 and it works. It works just like CC2018 did when I first loaded it in late December. I edited my first 4K video with CC2017 last night and all worked fine. CC2017 appears to be virtually identical to CC2018 with a few new VR editing features. I haven't noticed any major differences in workflow, and the new stuff in PP2018 is way beyond my needs. The fact that PP2017 works on my new 7th Gen 6Core i7 Dell Alienware Area 51 Win10 machine with GTX1080ti GPU, and PP2018 doesn't, implies that Adobe has some work to do. It took me 2wks to find a solution, so I'm not feeling very warm an fuzzy about Adobe these days. I downloaded a trial version of Corel Video Studio that I'm evaluating.

I downloaded Resolve 14 Free version. I did a quick test with 4K, seemed to work. I have a lot to learn, but what's frustrating now is the menu's have all decreased in font size so tiny that it's hard to use. I can't find the preference for fonts size anywhere in the app. I don't think it's a windows setting because my computer otherwise is fine, font size wise. Something got tweaked with a shortcut somehow I think and I can't bring back the normal size menu font size.

UPDATE: figured out the font issue. It was a windows setting after all.

I'm just figuring out Resolves proxy workflow. All I can say is wow, PP CC is so much easier. I wish I could get PP CC to work on my new computer.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl