Possible to install H3-3D on crashed Phantom 3

Ph3

Reaction score
I recently crashed my Phantom 3 Pro and the camera and gimbal did not survive, though the bird still flies beautifully. I own a GoPro Hero 3 Black (and Hero 4 Black), and I've been scouring the Internet for info about possibly installing a Zenmuse gimbal (H3-3D or H4-3D) on my Phantom 3, but I can't find any info about whether or not it's compatible. I've found tons of people in the same boat as me with cameras broken off their Phantom 3 birds, but nobody seems to be considering a Zenmuse gimbal over repairing/replacing the original camera. Is this because it's just not possible?

I'm still pretty new to all this, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around GCUs and PMUs and what might possibly work with my Phantom 3. There is an unused H3-3D for sale on Craigslist with a GCU, but no PMU, and I'd like to buy it if there's a chance I could get it to work with my bird.

Thanks!

You can add me to the list of your "tons of people".... I have a P3A with a broken camera and gimbal.... They must make those things out of cheese... It was the result of a landing that was NOT terribly hard..

Are there no answers to this question anywhere out there? I keep searching the Internet, and find no mention of people mounting GoPros to a Phantom 3. I obviously understand the argument for not wanting to do that with a stock Phantom 3, but for one that has already been crashed and is missing the camera anyway, it seems like there would be other people out there considering putting their GoPro on their Phantom 3.

I have a GoPro Hero 4 modified with a NIR flat lens that I would love to be able to mount to a camera-less P3. I also cannot find any info on the Greater Internet regarding this. Strange.

This is very interesting subject. I am considering to buy crashed Phantom 3, and have a spare h3-2d which I could mount on it.

Since both gimbals are designed by the same company, it is likely that interfaces are compatible. But the only way to confirm that is to check signals with oscilloscope.

There are two possible places of "merging" - above the transmitter board (the one near dampers), or below it.
I'd say connecting h3-3d below the dampers board (by inserting foam cable into the board) has greater chance of success - the foam cable connects only motors and transmits audio/video, and both signals are likely the same. Also, merging the gimbals there would allow video transmission by standard Phantom 3 transmitter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic