Possible reason for drones falling from sky

Reaction score
This could be scary. I've been following this US based company to watch what they are up to. This may be a good idea at an airport, but not your neighbor. They claim they don't rely on radio jamming. I think its closer to a MiTM attack.Watch their video from the link below. Makes a Phantom look like it has turrets.
SkySafe

And the arms race begins. It won't be long before the proprietary technology becomes public or it falls into the hands of others besides the intended customers. Once it's public, drone manufacturers or, more likely, sophisticated users will engineer defensive measures against it. Stronger controller-drone authentication and encryption will probably be all it takes to thwart this.

I can't get too excited about this. SkySafe is a two man company started 2 months ago. Looks like they're transmitting WiFi, which would be great to inject commands into the link between a P3S mobile device and its RC, but useless as way to take over the control channel to the bird. I suspect that if the the guy with the RC was far from the SkySafe gear the demo wouldn't work. It would also be a non-starter for a P3A or P3P..

Last edited:
I can't get too excited about this. SkySafe is a two man company started 2 months ago. Looks like they're transmitting WiFi, which would be great to inject commands into the link between a P3S mobile device and its RC, but useless as way to take over the control channel to the bird. I suspect that if the the guy with the RC was far from the SkySafe gear the demo wouldn't work. It would also be a non-starter for a P3A or P3P..
I can not say its "useless". From my experience with MiTM attacks, and experience with 2 way radios, it is very possible, very easy. Its so easy, thats why I say its scary.

I've worked a fair amount with RF protocols like Zigbee and for them at least, you can jam them but cannot inject packets without first compromising the encryption. I assume the same applies to the traffic between the RC and the Phantom. I know that a few updates back we were told that the encryption had been updated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl