Polar Pro LED Kit Review

Okay just went outside and did a test run at night. It doesn't wash out/blur the camera at all. LEDs don't get hot. Even if they do, the wind from the propeller will cool them down! Here's a sample pic of the camera in my room in total darkness.
Thanks for the review and feedback

Reactions: embayweather
Picked up a set of these about a week ago. very impressed with easy of use and improvement over the built in arm LED's. Fits in the case mounted. On and off easy. Flashing visible from way off. with so many gray days lately they really help.

Is there anyway these would not have an impact on the GPS, or LB signal in the legs? If I pick up my phantom by the top of the shell I lose GPS Sat's? Snapping a battery on it seems like it has to interfere? Right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why not attach a battery operated LED light to it? Like a led flashlight that flashes etc? If the point is to provide light for dark filming?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So far no one is reporting interference with gps or anything from the legs? Any reduction in flight time from the weight?

Has anyone tried these with the front phantom leds off? If these don't make light bleed, it could be a great solution to red light bleed from the phantom red leds.

The only thing I'd have to get used to is the light colors. Green means *** in and red is nose out. This kinda jimbles what I'm used to. Too bad they aren't red and green instead of white.

Reactions: LamboH
i'm confused as to why they would put the white LEDs on the front with the existing red lights on the arms, and the red LEDs on the back with the existing white/yellow/green LEDs. it seems backwards.

The white lighting helps for dark shots, I think ...?

I think the white/red combination is the best setup. You can reverse them if you wanted.

These are much more visible that the stock lights but there not going to light anything up unless your flying two feet off the ground.

There main idea is the bling factor but there functional also.

They make it very easy to see what direction your traveling even during the day.

p;l./
So far no one is reporting interference with gps or anything from the legs? Any reduction in flight time from the weight?

Has anyone tried these with the front phantom leds off? If these don't make light bleed, it could be a great solution to red light bleed from the phantom red leds.

The only thing I'd have to get used to is the light colors. Green means *** in and red is nose out. This kinda jimbles what I'm used to. Too bad they aren't red and green instead of white.
i'm confused as to why they would put the white LEDs on the front with the existing red lights on the arms, and the red LEDs on the back with the existing white/yellow/green LEDs. it seems backwards.

one side is the bright white lights, the other side is the red lights. kinda makes sense what yall are saying , but think about it. You're getting this product so you can possibly/and primarily use the light to see at night. White lights penetrates nighttime better than red lights Yellow is best i .(at least when it comes to LED lights) THE POLAR PRO led light kit goes on how u put it on.im sure you can orient the lights in whichever orientation you'd prefer .whether white light to the front(most advisable since your using the light to see with you camera and your camera, will be facing that way .Or u can install it to match the phantom's current red to the front yellow/ green to the back light scheme. Kinda defeats the purpose of hooking up lights to your drone to see at night but you gonna depend on red lights ,

I know these lights are an aid to seeing the bird primarily, but the color of the lights as it pertains to orientation does matter too. Anything can be learned quickly enough though. At least you can put either color where you prefer. I bought this to try and see how it works out. If I can get some benefit during the day too, all the better. Any advantage I can gain to see the bird in daylight out there, the better. Maybe some blinking white and red would help some. At night when it's easier to see, I'd just keep them steady on.

I thought it was not good to cover up the top of the shell ...with the new battery for the LED's

This came in and I installed it. I'll have to see how it is flying. I have decals on my bird so I was curious how well it would hold. I think it holds fine but during flight in windy conditions up there, I don't want to take any chances of it letting loose. That will down the bird quickly, so I taped it for added security. Also the leg lights snap on fine but if you handle the bird from the legs they can get popped off so I taped them as well. I installed it with the red lights in front and white in the back. This is the orientation of the colors that make the most sense to me. White gaffers tape makes the whole tape job invisible and holds very well. Extra weight seems negligible. I have turned the front phantom red LED's off and will see how it is with just the polar pro. I plan to have them blinking during day flights and hope I'll be able to see the bird better and for night flights, keep them solid on. Overall just for install, I don't think it's solid enough snap-on without reinforcement with tape. It all does snap on and stay put but the phantom is up there flying and for me, I need more than snap on. I'm doing this not for the bling, but for the practical purposes of added light for day and night flights. If it doesn't deliver that for me, I'll take it off.

Btw, this comes with a micro usb cable for charging, but no power adapter. I use my cell phone charger, no problem.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 397
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 433
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 413
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 392
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 432
I need 1 oz to add to the front to balance out the weight.

I put the white in back and red up front too just to stay consistent with the phantom itself. I have yet to fly with these at night but I'm sure they will excel at that. After two flights now during the day I can say that for me they just don't help. I won't bother turning them on in the daytime any more.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1