Polar Pro Filter Installation - Removing Stock Lens Cover

Reaction score
Apologies if this is covered in another thread - I couldn't find it.
I received my set of Polar pro filters but I have been unable to remove the stock lens cover from my P4
I have twisted as hard as I can with my bare hands, but I don't want to slip and damage the gimbal.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks,

Grip the UV filter as loosely as possible and twist it to the left. Wrap something rubber around it if you cannot grip it easily. You won't be able to remove it if you grip it hard. In fact, you might even bend it and/or break the glass.

Rubber band

Sure -- rubber band, rubber glove -- anything that gives your fingers some grip.

Ugh!

Sorry to hear that. That is why I returned my first P4. I even tried a 1-1/4" FlexiClamp wrench that is designed to do that stuff and it refused to move more than maybe 1/8". Threads were knackered up from the factory. Someone on here suggested cutting it off, but since it was new I took it back and exchanged it at Best Buy without any hassles.

My second, and my third P4 too, both had an easier to remove filter ( QC seems to be an issue with DJI at times! ). My third had little shards of metal on the last threads that I brushed off and probably left over from machining, but at least it unscrewed. I put a thin coat of silicon lube on them just in case.

Good luck, but if it won't come off I'd exchange it quick. Likely you'll want a filter in place of it someday.

Mack

I even tried a 1-1/4" FlexiClamp wrench that is designed to do that stuff and it refused to move more than maybe 1/8".
Beware the tools. That's an easy way to knacker up the threads.

THANK YOU! for the replies - MSINGER!
Gentle is the key - I gripped the stock lens cover loosely and it came right off.
Now to learn how to use these filters - Plenty of threads here for help with that!
Thanks again!

The trick is to not pinch the filter edges directly because then the pressure warps the threads making it harder to remove.
Wrap something around it- cloth, Leather, sturdy rubber band and pinch the material together just outside the filter until it's tight enough not to slip, then rotate counter clockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What worked for me is a small strip of duct tape wrapped around just the filter with some extra hanging down. Gently pull counter clock wise on the excess kind of like an oil filter wrench.

I received my set of Polar pro filters but I have been unable to remove the stock lens cover from my P4
I have twisted as hard as I can with my bare hands, but I don't want to slip and damage the gimbal.

Thanks,
Exactly

Thanks,

Thanks,

Exactly the same for me, it will turn a small amount but no more. I have tried all the suggested tips. Sometimes you just know it is not going to unscrew......I am at that point. So I will be returning the drone for some help with this issue and my wonky horizon!

Two questions regarding this;

1- is this also applicable for the P4 standard? Or advanced and pro only?

2- would recording video benefit with a filter or is this just for snapshots?

Much thanks guys!

1- is this also applicable for the P4 standard? Or advanced and pro only?
Yes -- it applies to all P4 models since they all come with a removable UV filter.

2- would recording video benefit with a filter or is this just for snapshots?
Filters are usually used when shooting video. They might also be helpful for photos if you're taking photos of areas that have reflective surfaces (e.g. water). For more details about when to use filters, check out this post and this video.

Reactions: Phantassimo
I would just add that the material is the problem - poorly anodised aluminium! The stock DJI UV filter on my P4 has a really rough thread - you can feel it when you remove & refit it.

The polar filters are much better mechanically.

Any pressure you apply to the sides as you grip it tries to bind it to the lens thread.
Best to apply gentle pressure on the face of the mount, not on the glass! (with rubber gloves or something, as suggested).

Reactions: Phantassimo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues