Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Well I got somewhere alright, hong kong post could track the number, very informative, told me it left Hong Kong on 30th of May and thats it haha. Lets hope I can avoid the import duties and vat ;)

Yeah it all depends if you get away with it or not, in ireland you are supposed to pay an import duty and then vat at 23% probably totaling €65 in my case. Should be something similar in the uk, but it all depends if customs pick it up before the postal service does ;)

SlackerATX said:
- Plug-N-Play - No soldering, no disassembly of the phantom frame

http://www.taco-rc.com/servlet/the-40/3 ... unt/Detail

This gimbal is 3D printed with PLA. Is is relatively inexpensive at $259.90. The gimbal usually ships next day and is usually delivered in 5 to 7 days. It is based on the Simple BGC/Basecam controller. The controller comes loaded with 2.2b2 firmware. Here is the user manual from the Basecam website. This firmware is about 10 months old and there has been 3 firmware releases since. You will not be able to upgrade the firmware because the controller is not an official controller from Basecam.

After you've installed your gimbal there are a few things you'll have to do to configure and calibrate it.

• Balance the gimbal
  • Update the gimbal gains in DJI assistant software
  • Load the default profile onto the controller
  • Calibrate the controller and possibly adjust the IMU
  • (optionally) Tweak the BaseCam profile to improve performance
  • (optionally) Adjust motor gains to compensate for added weight

Balance the gimbal
With the P2V powered off your gimbal should sit pointing as straight and horizontal as possible. If you have a lens kit or other mods that have affected the balance of the gimbal you should add counter weights on the camera mount so it sits straight. If you don't do this the gimbal motors won't have enough power by default to hold the camera straight. Just to hold the camera straight you'll have to increase power to the motors causing the gimbal to be less smooth in flight.

Update the gimbal gains in DJI assistant software
You've got to essentially turn off the gimbal controller built into the phantom so it's managed by the new Basecam controller by setting the tilt gain to 0. You also have to adjust the center point and range of the tilt control and slow down the speed of the tilt. Here is an exampled with a good starting point.

gimbal-settings.gif

Load the default profile onto the controller
Before powering on the P2V connect the Basecam controller to a PC with a micro USB cable. There is a micro usb port on the Basecam controller. Next, install the usb drivers and Simple BGC GUI. From inside the SimpleBGC GUI connect to the com port the controller is connected to, load the Taco Supreme profile linked below and write the profile to the controller. If you have a V3 with the IMU mounted on top of the camera you must use the V3 profile. The only difference is the top axis is Z and the right axis is -Y.

You can now power on the phantom and the gimbal should be stable.

Calibrate the controller and possibly adjust the IMU
Do a six point calibration of the IMU. Here is a good IMU calibration tutorial on youtube.

Depending on what version of camera mount that came with your gimbal you might have to slightly adjust the alignment of the IMU. If your IMU is mounted on the side of the camera mount you probably have to adjust the alignment of the IMU so the camera will set correctly horizontal. Moving the IMU a bit a little hot glue should do the check. Here is a good thread with pics and all.

If you have a V3 with the IMU mounted on top of the camera you shouldn't have to adjust the IMU alignment.

Tweak the BaseCam profile to improve performance
amrflyingdude posted some profile changes that might work better for you.

Roll: P=10, I=.1, D=16, Power=120
Pitch: P=10, I=.0.08, D=17, Power=100

At certain angles my gimbal has high frequency oscillations (vibrations) that show up in video if you're really paying attention. If the PWM frequency is set to LOW the vibration goes away and the gimbal seem more smooth in general. Unfortunately, set to low the controller emits an annoying high pitch hum. I included two profiles one with the PWM frequency set to HIGH and a second PWM frequency set to LOW. I configured the button click on the menu button tab in the SimpleBGC GUI to load one profile and 2 clicks to load another. If I want it to shut up I just click the button the on Basecam controller once then click it twice before I fly. Again, remember if you have a V3 mount with the IMU on the top you must use the V3 profile. The zip file below includes 4 profiles 2 for v2 and 2 for v3.

Adjust motor gains to compensate for added weight
Because your P2V is heavier with the new gimbal you should probably make more power available to the motors to maintain altitude. I found with the gimbal my P2V was having a hard time maintaining altitude. I adjusted the Basic Vertical gain to 190 and the flying characteristics are much more like they were before the gimbal was added. Here is a thread with more info about adjusting gains.

Very nicely detailed. Yeah but I do not call this plug n play :shock: Maybe plug and super tweak out for hours then play...

I'm installing the V3 version and it's completely whacked out. It's bizarre, when sitting on the ground it appears fine but in the air it goes into spasms... Maybe I'll give you're directions a shot. Thanks for all the effort.

Hi guys.
After only few flights that gimbal worked fine ,it's started make a noise (probably motors) when I power phantom on and cam start jitters.sometimes cam don't take the correct position when I power phantom on.
But that'sCan jitter and noise is happens when power on phantom and after when I shake phantom it do it in some position.
Anyone with the same problem?I can't use videos with that jitters

loizos said:
Hi guys.
After only few flights that gimbal worked fine ,it's started make a noise (probably motors) when I power phantom on and cam start jitters.sometimes cam don't take the correct position when I power phantom on.
But that's jitter and noise is happens when power on phantom and after when I shake phantom it do it in some position.
Anyone with the same problem?I can't use videos with that jitters

The Taco Bell Supreme aka The three dimensional, trouble making son of a gimbal.

I've experienced several problems with this gimbal and, as a result, would certainly not classify it as "plug and play".

I seem, over the past couple of weeks since I've owned it, to have overcome the other issues but am left with one.

Now the horizon is not straight. I've done a couple of 6 axis calibrations and - fully of hope - turned her back on only to find that I'm still leaning in the same direction.

Do any of you more "intelligent" people out there have any suggestions - PLEASE!!!!!

Kind regards

3DPower gimbal tilt/pitch issue

Just installed 3D Power gimbal on firmware V1.08 and App V1.0.38

Tilt function didn`t work from DJI Application. When I change Pitch values in the Assistant gimbal didn`t move. I try all firmware versions and all versions of App, but have the same problem.

I try to install back original Vision gimbal and it is working fine. Also is possible to adjust pitch values in the Assistant and original Vision gimbal is moving.

Any suggestions?

Video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/o13jkl5suq80b ... 212038.3gp
Edited: Camera isn`t touching table on the video. There is a free space among table and camera!

Just some suggestions for those people having some small issues with their Taco, here are some things I've done to smooth out some minor issues:

When I get out my Phantom and set it up for flight, I take off from level ground, and I put something under the landing skids to elevate the Phantom off of the ground a little bit so that the camera wont come into contact with the ground as it's powering on. I then rotate and level the camera by hand before powering up the Phantom.

I've found that the camera just barely touches the ground otherwise and the motors start jerking as it tries to move the camera. Since I've started doing this, I've been getting better video and control from the gimbal.

Re: 3DPower gimbal tilt/pitch issue

Two things.

First, try putting something under the skids to elevate the Phantom and give some clearance under the camera before testing the tilt.

Second, Try taking off the filter. I could not get mine anywhere close to being balanced with the filter on. Take it off and see how that goes.

RcVision said:

Tilt function didn`t work from DJI Application. When I change Pitch values in the Assistant gimbal didn`t move. I try all firmware versions and all versions of App, but have the same problem.

I try to install back original Vision gimbal and it is working fine. Also is possible to adjust pitch values in the Assistant and original Vision gimbal is moving.

Any suggestions?

Re: 3DPower gimbal tilt/pitch issue

SilentAV8R said:
Two things.

First, try putting something under the skids to elevate the Phantom and give some clearance under the camera before testing the tilt.

Second, Try taking off the filter. I could not get mine anywhere close to being balanced with the filter on. Take it off and see how that goes.

RcVision said:

Any suggestions?

I try it with free space under the camera - no reactions.
Also try without filter kit. Gimbal is balanced with weights at the camera backside and stay in the horizontal position very stable when it is switched off. As I say before there is no reaction on the gimbal when I change pitch values in Assistant software.

Make sure that the wire up above the camera that controls the tilt is snug into the plugs. Mine would come loose and the gimbal would stop working. Also make sure it is plugged in correctly

SilentAV8R said:
Make sure that the wire up above the camera that controls the tilt is snug into the plugs. Mine would come loose and the gimbal would stop working. Also make sure it is plugged in correctly

Yes, I make these all inspections before....everything is correct.....I don`t know what else... I`m waiting response from taco-rc...

so i have just installed the v3 version and keep on getting an error in the simple bgc that says GUI vs Board version mismatch....any advice?

cuckooclick said:
so i have just installed the v3 version and keep on getting an error in the simple bgc that says GUI vs Board version mismatch....any advice?

You must download and use SimpleBGC GUI 2.2 b2 The controller board is not compatible with any newer version.

RcVision said:
SilentAV8R said:

Yes, I make these all inspections before....everything is correct.....I don`t know what else... I`m waiting response from taco-rc...

Taco-rc support is very slow, I got my responses after 1 day's wait. So, during the whole week I received just a few troubleshooting suggestions, but they were pretty useless because I had already tried out these operations myself.

This is the 6th day since I haven't received a reply from Taco-rc to my last email.

TAKE CARE!!!

I just set up my gimbal last night according to Daniel Sanchez's youtube video and man am I impressed. Took me 30 mins to set it up and calibrate it. Daniel's instructions were simple to follow. The gimbal works amazingly well, it feels like I'm flying a brand new bird. Thanks Daniel for your video and to Richard Fernandez for the ear plug trick!!!

Well it seems some are lucky and some go the other way.

I, like RcVision, am on the other side. I've tried pretty much everything and still the gimbal either wants to tie itself in knots or the pictures from the camera would make you believe that a terrible air accident is imminent!!! :roll:

Well done Mal_P2V_Ireland. Must be the luck of the Irish.

I've been talking to Taco.rc and not much happening there. The gimbal is going back. Haven't yet decided whether I'd like a replacement or my money back. The issue now is, having had all these problems with one, will I feel that I can rely on it in the future. Takes the shine off it really.

So for those that can - have fun. For those that cannot.......................................what do you say?

AussiejY, I have problems with my first one, I returned and I got refunded, they will not zend you another one because, they want yo to pay for the new shipment.

I re - ordered and in 15 minutes it was installed and working with out problem

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT