Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Reaction score
- Plug-N-Play - No soldering, no disassembly of the phantom frame

http://www.taco-rc.com/servlet/the-40/3 ... unt/Detail

This gimbal is 3D printed with PLA. Is is relatively inexpensive at $259.90. The gimbal usually ships next day and is usually delivered in 5 to 7 days. It is based on the Simple BGC/Basecam controller. The controller comes loaded with 2.2b2 firmware. Here is the user manual from the Basecam website. This firmware is about 10 months old and there has been 3 firmware releases since. You will not be able to upgrade the firmware because the controller is not an official controller from Basecam.

After you've installed your gimbal there are a few things you'll have to do to configure and calibrate it.

• Balance the gimbal
  • Update the gimbal gains in DJI assistant software
  • Load the default profile onto the controller
  • Calibrate the controller and possibly adjust the IMU
  • (optionally) Tweak the BaseCam profile to improve performance
  • (optionally) Adjust motor gains to compensate for added weight

Balance the gimbal
With the P2V powered off your gimbal should sit pointing as straight and horizontal as possible. If you have a lens kit or other mods that have affected the balance of the gimbal you should add counter weights on the camera mount so it sits straight. If you don't do this the gimbal motors won't have enough power by default to hold the camera straight. Just to hold the camera straight you'll have to increase power to the motors causing the gimbal to be less smooth in flight.

Update the gimbal gains in DJI assistant software
You've got to essentially turn off the gimbal controller built into the phantom so it's managed by the new Basecam controller by setting the tilt gain to 0. You also have to adjust the center point and range of the tilt control and slow down the speed of the tilt. Here is an exampled with a good starting point.

gimbal-settings.gif

Load the default profile onto the controller
Before powering on the P2V connect the Basecam controller to a PC with a micro USB cable. There is a micro usb port on the Basecam controller. Next, install the usb drivers and Simple BGC GUI. From inside the SimpleBGC GUI connect to the com port the controller is connected to, load the Taco Supreme profile linked below and write the profile to the controller. If you have a V3 with the IMU mounted on top of the camera you must use the V3 profile. The only difference is the top axis is Z and the right axis is -Y.

You can now power on the phantom and the gimbal should be stable.

Calibrate the controller and possibly adjust the IMU
Do a six point calibration of the IMU. Here is a good IMU calibration tutorial on youtube.

Depending on what version of camera mount that came with your gimbal you might have to slightly adjust the alignment of the IMU. If your IMU is mounted on the side of the camera mount you probably have to adjust the alignment of the IMU so the camera will set correctly horizontal. Moving the IMU a bit a little hot glue should do the check. Here is a good thread with pics and all.

If you have a V3 with the IMU mounted on top of the camera you shouldn't have to adjust the IMU alignment.

Tweak the BaseCam profile to improve performance
amrflyingdude posted some profile changes that might work better for you.

Roll: P=10, I=.1, D=16, Power=120
Pitch: P=10, I=.0.08, D=17, Power=100

At certain angles my gimbal has high frequency oscillations (vibrations) that show up in video if you're really paying attention. If the PWM frequency is set to LOW the vibration goes away and the gimbal seem more smooth in general. Unfortunately, set to low the controller emits an annoying high pitch hum. I included two profiles one with the PWM frequency set to HIGH and a second PWM frequency set to LOW. I configured the button click on the menu button tab in the SimpleBGC GUI to load one profile and 2 clicks to load another. If I want it to shut up I just click the button the on Basecam controller once then click it twice before I fly. Again, remember if you have a V3 mount with the IMU on the top you must use the V3 profile. The zip file below includes 4 profiles 2 for v2 and 2 for v3.

Adjust motor gains to compensate for added weight
Because your P2V is heavier with the new gimbal you should probably make more power available to the motors to maintain altitude. I found with the gimbal my P2V was having a hard time maintaining altitude. I adjusted the Basic Vertical gain to 190 and the flying characteristics are much more like they were before the gimbal was added. Here is a thread with more info about adjusting gains.

Attachments

• Taco Supreme.profile.zip
    735 bytes · Views: 545
  • Taco Supreme V3.zip
    698 bytes · Views: 597
  • SlackerATX.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 410
Re: New Plug-N-Play 3DPower Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

If I start to see some decent videos being posted from this gimbal I'll be ordering, 5-7 days shipping, and it will cost me €285 to get it here to Ireland including shipping, import duty and taxes. Much cheaper than the other 2 big players in the market.

There is a very nice video on their site from a customer that tested it out.

Its super smooth and looks amazing.

I think I'll be picking this up tonight!

Has anyone else gotten their hands on this gimbal yet and can provide some real world opinion on it?

amkorp said:
There is a very nice video on their site from a customer that tested it out.

Its super smooth and looks amazing.

I think I'll be picking this up tonight!

Has anyone else gotten their hands on this gimbal yet and can provide some real world opinion on it?

To be fair that video is a few weeks old. It was taken on the Taco (not the supreme). As far as I can tell though the gimbal is the same so it should preform the same. The only difference is how you connect it. The power now comes from the 4 pin jack. (Like rotorpixel)

So the 4 pin jack just means that the phantom doesn't need to be opened up in order to get power to the gimbal, right?

Also, do you guys know if the tilt control will still function with the taco-supreme? If yes, will it be able to face straight down?

There is very limited info on their site, I emailed them but not sure when they will reply.

amkorp said:
So the 4 pin jack just means that the phantom doesn't need to be opened up in order to get power to the gimbal, right?

Also, do you guys know if the tilt control will still function with the taco-supreme? If yes, will it be able to face straight down?

There is very limited info on their site, I emailed them but not sure when they will reply.

Looks like there is tilt about 10 seconds into the video... but, I too need to know if it will point straight down

I posted a my most descent video with taco gimbal. see it here in HD. the only difference between mine that the new one is no soldering. Me I only had to sorter 2 wires.. performance is the same .. i love mine.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10570

the original version had a tilt test video on youtube. They showed the camera pointing straight down. I'm hoping its the same with this one.

Yes you can tilt it all the way down.

In the other thread i posted a small test flight video when I tilt it all the way down and up.

I still needed to set the max and minimum traveling range in the video, so when tilted down all the way it started to jump a bit.

When all is setup correct ( fine tuned ) the jumping will not happen.

Edit. Here is the video where I tilt it all the way up and down.
http://youtu.be/MGqojNsiWuM

Please note that this video is made with the older soldering version.

Ive noticed on your video and a few other taco videos that the horizon isnt level, is this something you have fixed yet?

Cool thanks for the reply. I'm presuming the new plug and play will have the same issue so was it hard to calibrate?

Is it just me ? If I buy a plug and play gimbal , I don't want to have adjust it to get it right. Been down that road before with gimbals and screwing around with different boards and settings.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Cool thanks for the reply. I'm presuming the new plug and play will have the same issue so was it hard to calibrate?

Is not hard to calibrate, tricky however. You need to do an advance ACC calibration, in the manual it explains how, but once you do it it really stabilizes the gimbal big time.

everything needs minor adjustment to get it just right to your personal preference. my 6 point calibration took only 4 min. I hardly consider that a problem. and while everyone is waiting days for RP to return emails.. i got my answer from Taco-RC in one hour. and I sent that email at 11pm my time last night.

Mori55 said:
Is it just me ? If I buy a plug and play gimbal , I don't want to have adjust it to get it right. Been down that road before with gimbals and screwing around with different boards and settings.

You have to adjust the accelerometer in any gimbal like you have to calibrate the compass on the P2 vision out of the box. It does not mean is not plug and play means sensors don't like travel, X-rays, scans and all that stuff they go through when shipped. The sensor advance calibration takes a few minutes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have ordered 3DPower plus new egg shell and dampers on 21 March and this morning I received their parcel (as I am living in Hong Kong).

Yesterday night, I also ordered their just released direct power upgrade kit. See whether I could tweak around the original gimbal power before the direct power upgrade kit arrives in a few days time.

I have also ordered but not cancelled RP order yet, since RP with aluminium frame is much more rigid than 3DPower plastic printing, plus a possible upgrade to 3 axis.

Hope 3DPower could also catch up to release a 3 axis upgrade kit. More competition, the better.

Raymond

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj