Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

SlackerATX said:
- Plug-N-Play - No soldering, no disassembly of the phantom frame

Update the gimbal gains in DJI assistant software
You've got to essentially turn off the gimbal controller built into the phantom so it's managed by the new Basecam controller by setting the tilt gain to 0. You also have to adjust the center point and range of the tilt control and slow down the speed of the tilt. Here is an exampled with a good starting point.

gimbal-settings.gif

Load the default profile onto the controller

Thanks Slacker for all of the information! Regarding the Servo Travel Limits above. I installed the 7th channel lever, which worked, but I noticed that the sensitivity was not very good. If you go into Simple BGC GUI under the RC tab, the Taco profile sets the Pitch Min and Max angles at -35 and 180. If you change those to 0 and 90 and then go to the RC assistant and change the pitch t0 1000, -100, -900 that sets the gimbal up to turn 90 degrees (horizontal to straight down and give a lot more sensitive control with the lever. You might have to adjust to slightly difference numbers, but it gives you a larger range and smaller increments with each slight move of the lever. (I also set LPF to zero to reduce lag and speed to 30 to increase the rotational speed and and in the R assistant changed the manual pitch speed to 40. But those can be adjusted to individual taste.) I should mention that I am still using the velcro mount. My other mount is on order.

SlakerATX,

Thanks for the info, I tried about 5o different profiles, it won't work, I will email the seller to request a refund, I spend about 18 hrs dealing with this, computer is what I do for living and thta is not helping, LOL

I tried all the combination possible, I will like to know if anyone have the V3 up and running and what are the parameters.

Once again Thanks

Raffelos said:
SlakerATX,

Thanks for the info, I tried about 5o different profiles, it won't work, I will email the seller to request a refund, I spend about 18 hrs dealing with this, computer is what I do for living and thta is not helping, LOL

I tried all the combination possible, I will like to know if anyone have the V3 up and running and what are the parameters.

Once again Thanks

In the simplebgc program on the basic tab I have the following set:
Roll: P=10, I=0.1, D=16, Power=120, Invert=blank, Num.Poles=14
Roll: P=10, I=0.08, D=17, Power=100, Invert=blank, Num.Poles=14
Axis TOP=Z
Axis Right=-Y
and I did a 6 axis calibration

The settings that slackeratx gave for the Phantom Assistant Program is a good starting point. The gains have to be set to 0. The servo limit for pitch you will probably want to tweak so the range of movement is straight ahead to straight down. The camera will keep bouncing if the camera goes much beyond straight down or any of the cables bind.

My Taco supreme came with the velcro mount and I upgraded it to the V3 mount. Here is a video that I shot in 30 MPH wind gusts with the V3.

http://youtu.be/1an5ts6PsCs

jonesk32 said:
Raffelos said:
SlakerATX,

Once again Thanks

Axis TOP=Z
Axis Right=-Y

The settings that slackeratx gave for the Phantom Assistant Program is a good starting point. The gains have to be set to 0. The servo limit for pitch you will probably want to tweak so the range of movement is straight ahead to straight down. The camera will keep bouncing if the camera goes much beyond straight down or any of the cables bind.

My Taco supreme came with the velcro mount and I upgraded it to the V3 mount. Here is a video that I shot in 30 MPH wind gusts with the V3.

For the V3 you have to change the Axis to "z" "-y" to let the sensor know you are positioning it the IMU horizontally instad of vertical.

amrflyingdude said:
For the V3 you have to change the Axis to "z" "-y" to let the sensor know you are positioning it the IMU horizontally instad of vertical.
do you have to switch other parameters or just axis ?
I mean changing also roll / pitch values ...

Erroneous007 said:
Thanks Slacker for all of the information! Regarding the Servo Travel Limits above. I installed the 7th channel lever, which worked, but I noticed that the sensitivity was not very good. If you go into Simple BGC GUI under the RC tab, the Taco profile sets the Pitch Min and Max angles at -35 and 180. If you change those to 0 and 90 and then go to the RC assistant and change the pitch t0 1000, -100, -900 that sets the gimbal up to turn 90 degrees (horizontal to straight down and give a lot more sensitive control with the lever. You might have to adjust to slightly difference numbers, but it gives you a larger range and smaller increments with each slight move of the lever. (I also set LPF to zero to reduce lag and speed to 30 to increase the rotational speed and and in the R assistant changed the manual pitch speed to 40. But those can be adjusted to individual taste.) I should mention that I am still using the velcro mount. My other mount is on order.

I don't use the 7th channel lever, but that makes sense. I haven't gotten around to playing around with the tilt much but I think I'll use the gyro in the new app because unlike previously it stays in gyro mode so tilting the smart phone is really useful now. I'll check back on this info when I get to adjusting the tilt.

amrflyingdude said:
jonesk32 said:
Raffelos said:
SlakerATX,

Once again Thanks

Axis TOP=Z
Axis Right=-Y

I'll update the OP. I haven't got my V3 mount yet but should be here in a week or so.

OK, dumb question time. I got an updated profile. But for the life of me I cannot get it uploaded to the gimbal controller. The software starts, connect fine and I can select the profile simple BGC_GUI. But once I do that selection it will not load.

I did the steps in the DJI assistant software as well. I just cannot load a new profile onto the controller.

So what stupid bit did I miss??

urgno said:
amrflyingdude said:
do you have to switch other parameters or just axis ?
I mean changing also roll / pitch values ...

All you should have to change is the Top axis to Z and the Right axis to -Y. I included a V3 profile in the OP you can compare with.

SilentAV8R said:
OK, dumb question time. I got an updated profile. But for the life of me I cannot get it uploaded to the gimbal controller. The software starts, connect fine and I can select the profile simple BGC_GUI. But once I do that selection it will not load.

I did the steps in the DJI assistant software as well. I just cannot load a new profile onto the controller.

So what stupid bit did I miss??

It might be a permissions thing. Depending on your OS maybe trying running as root or administrator. Can you change specific values to in the BGC GUI and write to controller?

I got a V2 and there was not profile on the controller. If you have "BGC_GUI" in the drop down it might be the profile that came with the controller and it doesn't appear to update because the values are already loaded? This might be something new in V3. Can you post a screenshot of the GUI?

I've got the V3 holder.
I can write new parameters
Using the PID numbers from the post above.
ROLL = 10/0.1/16 POWER = 120 poles =14
PITCH = 10/0.08/17 POWER = 100 poles = 14
Axis TOP = Z
Axis RIGHT = -Y
External FC Gain ROLL & PITCH = 0

OK, accelerometer appears to have calibrated. When I turn on the P2V the camera hols level in roll and tilt down 30 degrees or so in pitch. But, as I move the P2V around it holds that setting. I'll mess with it here more in awhile.

The V3 holder makes a world of difference. The calibration is spot on and the horizon no longer drifts when yawing aggressively.

I am very happy with this gimbal. I'll try to get some video up tomorrow if its not so windy/doesn't snow!

amkorp said:
The V3 holder makes a world of difference. The calibration is spot on and the horizon no longer drifts when yawing aggressively.

I am very happy with this gimbal. I'll try to get some video up tomorrow if its not so windy/doesn't snow!

Can you post what your PID, etc. settings are.

Mine seems to be working now, but it can be rotated above level using the phone App and sitting idle it points down about 10 degrees.

I'm using the same settings from phantom assistant as Slacker's first post.

BCG is the same as well.

What I did differently though is I moved the gimbal by hand so it was looking straight and horizontal, let it sit there and don't touch it, then I hit the Calib.Acc, and it sets the current position as center/true.

Write that calibration to the board.

Then I set up two clicks on the board as "set tilt angles by hand" and adjusted the gimbal once it was powered on with the phantom. Just so it looks straight forward.

Once that's done, it should be straight and level.

SilentAV8R said:
amkorp said:

Mine seems to be working now, but it can be rotated above level using the phone App and sitting idle it points down about 10 degrees.

The 10 degree down tilt is probably the tilt control from the phantom. Disconnect the tilt wire and if it goes straight you'll know for sure. You can adjust center in dji assistant software.

SlackerATX said:
SilentAV8R said:
amkorp said:

The 10 degree down tilt is probably the tilt control from the phantom. Disconnect the tilt wire and if it goes straight you'll know for sure. You can adjust center in dji assistant software.

DING! DING! DING!

That was it!! Disconnected the tilt control to the camera and it holds rock steady level Thanks.

SlackeraTX,

Can you check your PM?

SlackerATX said:
Erroneous007 said:

I don't use the 7th channel lever, but that makes sense. I haven't gotten around to playing around with the tilt much but I think I'll use the gyro in the new app because unlike previously it stays in gyro mode so tilting the smart phone is really useful now. I'll check back on this info when I get to adjusting the tilt.

Saw your PM. Happy to help if I can. At a loss with your problem. Maybe post a video of you going through the OP and we'll see if we can spot where you've gone wrong. Maybe something simple. Gl

Erroneous007 said:

Love your 7th channel settings. I was unsure about the 7th channel level since it was only using about half of the range that the lever could move. After the adjustments the full range of the lever results in gimbal movement, the lag is gone. The lever is definately a keeper now. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT