Please help

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am hoping that someone can point us in the right direction.
My eldest son is disabled but loves RC he started with cars etc but recently developed an interest in drones. To start with we got him cheap drones thinking if he crashed them then no major issue, he loved them they seemed to help calm him down and worked wonders, so slowly we upgraded and upgraded and recently bought him a brand new phantom 3 standard he flew it a couple of times with no issues at all other than occasionally the camera feed wouldn't connect and drone would lose signal don't know if this is to do with the area or whatever. Anyway a couple of days ago he was flying but it just kept disconnecting from the app so was just flying it close with the control not using the phone app, there was a beeping noise and the drone flew straight up in the air and then turned off crashing from about 10-15 foot. The camera detached breaking the ribbon and yaw arm and a small black piece that looks like the top of a chip came out of the grey gimbal housing plate the bit that attached the gimbal to the bird, other than that damage seems cosmetic.
Bird turns on however control is showing not connected to bird I've tried to pair them again but it just won't connect. I've looked on eBay and can see replacement ribbons and yaw arms cheap enough, and from what I have read in reviews the likely hood is if I return it to DJI the repair cost will be more than I want to spend. So I am left with the option of buying a new drone or self repair, I am reasonably competent at mechanical repairs and can easily replace damaged components on TVs so feel I can replace the yaw arm and camera ribbon easily enough but it's the little black component out of the gimbal plate I'm concerned about, could this be the reason bird won't connect to controller??? Also when I open DJI go app obviously there is no camera feed, I get an error message saying weak signal and no telemetry, nothing showing on battery status, when I try to calibrate compass etc nothing????
Please help us???
2decb56043a43e89c7722c60d89d33f2.jpg
a017ccbab6b408a2934fed8369c454bf.jpg
28fa4989efdf9255d49f477ad6b5381c.jpg

Last edited:
Can you take close up clear pictures of both the black object and the drone so we can see

Reactions: RodPad and Oso
@pbird220680,
Welcome to the forum!

These guys will help you out, start with some pictures. ;)

Before you get back to fully flying, we need to figure out your signal problem.
What were you using for a mobile device?

Rod

Reactions: Erised
Hi thanks for the reply I will take some pictures now. I was using a Nokia n3 android phone
2fb7a0a14c59bc792f555750b30dbbd9.jpg
988272413c0ec36dc7c28fec124f06e9.jpg

Here are pictures of the black component I mentioned hope this helps

Last edited:
That doesn't look familiar to me. How about a pic of the Phantom?

I'll take one in the morning the only damage to the actual bird was the gimbal yaw arm camera

That module is the transmitter/receiver. That piece looks VERY internal. I imagine you'll need a new camera assy.

Reactions: Oso
To me it
Hi thanks for the reply I will take some pictures now. I was using a Nokia n3 android phone
2fb7a0a14c59bc792f555750b30dbbd9.jpg
988272413c0ec36dc7c28fec124f06e9.jpg

Here are pictures of the black component I mentioned hope this helps
To me it looks like a memory chip from the gimbal main board, but its hard to tell from only the under side. We'd need a picture of the topside mark to be sure. Does it have a big M on the top with other alpha numeric characters?

Reactions: pbird220680
So you guys can see the images? I just get "The requested URI does not represent any resource on the server.".

Thank a lot for the input guys I think I have a photo of the other side on my phone if not I'll take one when I get home
W
b7f573ced33308e9f0b2053afd53ff6d.jpg

828c81dd29aa83c08de554ae0010b6fc.jpg

UPDATE.
HI everyone just a quick update, the camera ribbon and yaw arm are now replaced but it hasn't helped.
When I turn it on the link light on bird is green but on controller is red I turn on phone WiFi get phantom I open the app and get no camera feed still, and in the settings all the values for things like rth altitude, max altitude etc are 0, the status for battery etc shows nothing and if I try to check or calibrate IMU I'm told am not connected.
Status bar at top of app shows weak remote signal.
I've tried linking RC both via app and manually I get beeping and light on bird either solid red or flashing red and remote constant red will not go green. The top of the bird gets slightly warm but I don't know if this is new or if it always did. This what appears to be a chip is the only thing I can see visably wrong could that stop bird and controller linking?
Do any of you know where I could order a replacement board for camera unit, it's the board that has the grey ribbon cable, flat ribbon, and the 2 small black and grey wires? Preferably one that isn't going to cost a small fortune?
Cheers

Is yours a 4K or 2.7K?

Thanks.
It's the 2.7k I need,
This may be a silly question but would the WiFi video downlink module from 4k work??? And would that be what's causing my problems??

These two parts look very similar. Open your board up and see if the small black part looks as if it was popped off your board. If it was, then yes you need a new board. Unsure if the 4K is the same. I would think they are compatible. Look at all the wiring ports in the pictures. Are they the same?
wifi board.png

Other side of black chip:
wifi boardB.png

The wifi board handles connection to the drone. And pumps the video feed through it.

Here is a picture of a Standard model board.
Phantom 3 standard wifi board.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl