Please explain - Litchi App

If I were you I would get a refund, I was flying my drone with it and then the battery failed I did a bit of research about the app and found it can some how damage the battery. Luckily DJI repaired it free of charge but I wouldn't risk it and will never fly with the app again

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Are you able to share your research? If litchi caused the problem it's unlikely DJI would have come to the party and concerned the repair cost.

Reactions: darrell2
If I were you I would get a refund, I was flying my drone with it and then the battery failed I did a bit of research about the app and found it can some how damage the battery. Luckily DJI repaired it free of charge but I wouldn't risk it and will never fly with the app again

A software application cannot cause damage to a battery. If your battery failed it could be from many things but using a software application can only drain a battery at the rate (ma ph) the hardware drains it. If you operate a lot of functions you will cause greater battery drain ( like constantly moving the gimbal, focusing, taking photos and running video, etc.).

Improperly charging your batteries or charging them with non oem chargers, not properly discharging them or operating in extreme temperatures can cause battery issues.

If a cell fails in a battery (there are 4 cells in each P4P high capacity battery) then you could of just had a bad battery. Just like a car battery failing from a bad cell.

Did you upload the logs to healthydrones.com as we could see the battery cells and status.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I believe even in using the Go app in some IOS modes it won't RTH if signal lost until mission completed. Remember, the AC gets uploaded with its mission with either app and is autonomous after that. The only difference with waypoint missions on the Go app is that you have to program the waypoints by flying to them and saving the points so if you lost signal, you couldn't complete programming the mission.
On the other hand you can pull up a saved mission that you programmed while in range for each waypoint, but on replay some waypoints are out of range.
I would hope though that the AC would abort any autonomous mission, whether it is waypoint or POI if the battery got low and subsequently returned home.
Remember, it is the AC that makes these decisions and acts on them and not the app. Therefore any issues/concerns lies in the firmware, not the apps.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

As everyone has said here, it completes the programmed mission, signal or not.
It's kind of intended for out or range work, hence no RTH.
You can turn your controller off after hitting go, it will carry out the mission regardless.

Thank you everyone. I am starting to understand the idea of the process. It sounds like I should start and end the mission close to myself,...so the end of the mission is actually Home. Just concerned the way it signaled out the P3S as not returning home. And range is always a concern of mine. It seems even with the intilite range extender,....I can get about half a mile and thats it,......regardless of area. I am strongly considering the P3P or P4 as a needed purchase. Cannot decide which one to purchase. Understand value would be the P3P,...but the slight ($400) additional price gets me a better lens glass and front crash sensors.
Anyway,..thank you everyone,...especially the way point tutorial video. That was very helpful in teaching myself. This is a GREAT forum and teaching tool.

Thanks everyone. I do not think I want an app that does not return to home after a mission regardless of which mission I choose.
I purchased this app for possible longer range as my itelite is lucky to get me 3/4 of a mile in range. I can see I will probably be purchasing a P4 with 4K or a P3P very shortly for better range. Also would like to have Fat Shark goggles should I choose to fly FPV.

If doing waypoint missions you set the mission up to rth,hover or return to first waypoint.thats the best part about litchi is that even if you lose signal it will complete the mission and then end however you set it up to.

Reactions: BryanBTX
Half the fun is hearing " warning disconnected " and staring at a blank screen, wondering if she's coming home, tonight.

I want to party with you. You have a twisted sense of fun... lol

Kidding. The first few times it is quite a rush. I did one last night at dusk and forgot to turn on my lights. I could hear the bird , but couldn't pick it up visually. That was interesting to say the least. It went quiet as it rounded a hill and i was never sure it would come back until it just showed up 200 feet above me in a hover.

Reactions: aermale
The only way I can think of where software could contribute to battery damage was if it forced the phantom to keep flying when the battery reached critical low, thus draining the battery beyond the safe limit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

The only way I can think of where software could contribute to battery damage was if it forced the phantom to keep flying when the battery reached critical low, thus draining the battery beyond the safe limit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app[/]

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/en/Phantom_4_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf

http://forum.dji.com/thread-36544-1-1.html

Some helpful tips to keep your batteries healthy and happy

Which brings up the question: Will the aircraft RTH when the battery hits critical level when flying a Litchi way point mission? Or do you need to plan mission within battery capacity limits.

My understanding is behaviour is identical to what is programmed to do under DJIGO app for Both Low and Critical battery Warnings..

"Smart RTH" settings in DJIGo app determine what happens on low Battery (like RTH). You asked about critical battery, depending on "critical low" level you had set back in the Go app (mine is at 10%) it would land in place, just like it would when using the Go app.

Last edited:
Thank you. What I had hoped. i.e. you need to plan the mission within 18-20 minutes or less.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet and a P3S and I am fairly new. with FW upgrades I have been having more troubles I have seen discussed in many threads by people. So I am thinking about buying the Litchi app. I do mostly standard flying not many waypoints. So from what I have read it sounds like it is the way to go. Is there anything I am missing or need to watch out for. Also is there another app I should look into. Thank you this one group where people really help each other.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet and a P3S and I am fairly new. with FW upgrades I have been having more troubles I have seen discussed in many threads by people. So I am thinking about buying the Litchi app. I do mostly standard flying not many waypoints. So from what I have read it sounds like it is the way to go. Is there anything I am missing or need to watch out for. Also is there another app I should look into. Thank you this one group where people really help each other.

Just remember that in certain flight modes Litchi will not RTH if lost signal. So make sure all your missions END right by you. RTH still works if you push the button or flip the switch. But if your flying a mission and drop signal the AC will finish then mission the do what you have programed as far as getting home.

A point worth noting.

If you lose signal in orbit, it continues to carry on flying endless circles. Which is the reason i stopped using it for such things. Its silly having no option to change this behavior

A good point.
So, if I out of Luck to cancel mission via returning the flight mode switch to P (or A), it will continue to orbit...

I don't have enough guts/suicidal mood to test it, but - will the Low Battery RTH doesn't kick in?
(OK, Critical Low Battery with immediate landing regardless where in orbit the AC is, is not a viable option most cases)

Where did you go? We would still like to see your references for the litchi app damaging batteries?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie