Please explain - Litchi App

Reaction score
I have purchased the Litchi app due to the many positive comments on this forum.
I have a P3S which I added itelite range extender to. (Not impressed so far)
I started reading the manual for Litchi and if I am understanding this app,.....if I loose the signal, the RTH feature does not work. The Phantom 3 Standard will just hover. Did I understand this correctly? Because if this is true,.....then the app is a no go for me.
If I misunderstood the manual,....can you explain under what circumstances the P3S would not RTH with Litchi,....VS DJI Go?
Thank you in advance for you time and answers.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have only used it in Waypoint mode. I've had it lose signal for 9 minutes but it always come back once it finishes its mission. I believe you can set it up in the setting to RTH when signal is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Only when you are flying a waypoint mission and I think in VR mode. There are a bunch of threads on here about it.

c4a71920c9679fa9d75ed7ab22ed3f1f.jpg

This is from the settings in Litchi.

If your in FPV mode and your flying along way out there and drop signal. It will return to home. But not if your flying a waypoint mission or track mode.

A point worth noting.

If you lose signal in orbit, it continues to carry on flying endless circles. Which is the reason i stopped using it for such things. Its silly having no option to change this behavior

Thank you all very much. I am going to have to read the manual again. I guess I misread it. I just could see no sense in using an app that did not return the drone if it lost its signal.

Still learning and need to better understand some of these options. But I am reading this,.....and confused by exactly what it is telling me regarding the P3S.

Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying Choose Hover, Land, or Return To Home. Your choice applies when you are manually flying your aircraft only. Be aware that autonomous flight Missions you create in Litchi and upload to your aircraft will continue to fly even if the connection is lost. The Phantom 3 Standard and 4K (but not the Phantom 3 Professional) exhibit an exception to the selected Signal Lost Behavior as follows: If the control signal is lost while manually flying either of these two aircraft in the Focus or Track mode or with VR (virtual reality) immersive/Joystick Head Tracking activated, the aircraft will stop and hover, but will not Land or Return to Home.

Hi I too have litchi, no expert, and understand your question us specific to P3S - but what part of that manual extract is confusing to you? - so someone can perhaps clarify / explain it. To me it appears to explain operation.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

In several of the modes it continues to fly the mode in place of RTH then will end and hover. I have not used all but with waypoint I flew a plan to go out around a point and return. I lost contact with the drone as it went around the last waypoint. The drone continued to fly the plan and I was able to resync with the drone a few seconds later. In waypoint if you have LOS it flys the plan. So be sure you have the heights set right!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: gvsukids
I have purchased the Litchi app due to the many positive comments on this forum.
I have a P3S which I added itelite range extender to. (Not impressed so far)
I started reading the manual for Litchi and if I am understanding this app,.....if I loose the signal, the RTH feature does not work. The Phantom 3 Standard will just hover. Did I understand this correctly? Because if this is true,.....then the app is a no go for me.
If I misunderstood the manual,....can you explain under what circumstances the P3S would not RTH with Litchi,....VS DJI Go?
Thank you in advance for you time and answers.

If I were you I would get a refund, I was flying my drone with it and then the battery failed I did a bit of research about the app and found it can some how damage the battery. Luckily DJI repaired it free of charge but I wouldn't risk it and will never fly with the app again

Thanks everyone. I do not think I want an app that does not return to home after a mission regardless of which mission I choose.
I purchased this app for possible longer range as my itelite is lucky to get me 3/4 of a mile in range. I can see I will probably be purchasing a P4 with 4K or a P3P very shortly for better range. Also would like to have Fat Shark goggles should I choose to fly FPV.

I did a bit of research about the app and found it can some how damage the battery.

I've no axe to grind here but this sounds very much like misinformation . As a litchi user I want to know more please - would you kindly share the info & source from your research that led you to this conclusion please?

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

The Litchi app is a great app. In normal flight mode, it WILL RTH if signal is lost. In Waypoint mode it will continue it's mission no matter what......that is what waypoint mode is all about. If you go far enough to lose signal, it will reconnect when it gets back into range. I'm pretty sure that Focus and Track mode are the only modes that it will hover. I use Litchi exclusively!!!

FYI...I'm not sure where the issue about damaging the battery came from....I've never heard of that

Battery issue is new to me too. Need a link or reference on this. Never a problem with the app. Just need to read and understand the manual. Funny how almost every complaint someone has had blaming Litchi for not working correctly, damaging or losing their bird can be traced back to a lack of understanding about how the app is suppose to work. Often accompanied by not reading the manual first.

Reactions: Eddie258 and Loz
I've never had a battery issue with litchi either. The rth thing is actually simple though. You couldn't complete a long range mission if it just came back, when it lost signal. Half the fun is hearing " warning disconnected " and staring at a blank screen, wondering if she's coming home, tonight. Just my 2 cents...

I've never had a battery issue with litchi either. The rth thing is actually simple though. You couldn't complete a long range mission if it just came back, when it lost signal. Half the fun is hearing " warning disconnected " and staring at a blank screen, wondering if she's coming home, tonight. Just my 2 cents...

It's an adrenaline rush... best feeling is when you here the motors chirping above! Sent mine out on a 15 minute mission and 18 minutes had gone by and bird wasn't back yet and I was about to call it a goner then next thing you know bam there it is!

Reactions: aermale and Loz
... I did a bit of research about the app and found it can some how damage the battery....

Complete and utter nonsense. There is NO proof or even allegation that Litchi can damage a battery. I fly Litchi a LOT and read everything I can find about it. Not once have I ever read or heard anyone ever mention battery damage using Litchi, making me highly doubtful of your "research". Common sense would also dictate that if there WAS such suspicion, this site would be the very place I would have read about it. In addition, there would be quite a few threads about it and, not surprisingly, there are none. Therefore I come to the conclusion, and correctly so, that NO "research" was done. If there's evidence of the "research", I expect you to cite it, with links, to this supposed information.

Thanks everyone. I do not think I want an app that does not return to home after a mission regardless of which mission I choose.
I purchased this app for possible longer range as my itelite is lucky to get me 3/4 of a mile in range. I can see I will probably be purchasing a P4 with 4K or a P3P very shortly for better range. Also would like to have Fat Shark goggles should I choose to fly FPV.

The Litchi app is very stable and DOES return home if you lose contact while flying manually IF you've set it to do so, just like DJI Go. If it's a waypoint mission and it loses contact, it will complete the mission. Simply set the last waypoint close to you or set the "finish action" to return home. I always set the "finish action" to return to the first waypoint which is usually about 30 ft from me. If you choose not to use it, it's your decision but you're going to miss out on a lot of fun and you're going to have greatly limited range. I have flown a 4 mile, round trip mission with a P3S, lost contact for several heart-stopping minutes, then I regained contact only to see it was flying the mission exactly as planned. It returned to the first waypoint, 30 ft away and 98 ft high and hovered, waiting for me to land it. I just don't want you to NOT use it based on "fake news".

Here's a video that gives a good demo on how to do a waypoint mission. Yes, the guy doing the video can be a bit annoying but he explains it well.

Last edited:
Reactions: gvsukids

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik