Pilot remote flying , Ops room style using Full HD

Yeah, that's the only thing - my area is very heavily forested, so I'm wondering if antennas like that would give me any benefit over my panel antenna. If anybody happens to have both, I'd be most grateful for a comparison!

we found those ok , just drive them properly.
Can you elaborate a bit. I just hooked them in line to my antennas from the remote as others have done. I am not sure if I needed to do something more. I heard I may need an attenuator, but no one else seems to use them. I really seemed to get no more distance with or without the amps so I am kind of scratching my head about what to do with them.

the beam ( main beam) off the antenna is around 6 deg , so its radiating at the horizon at 360 deg in all directions. this proves you can fly any direction ( UAV power allowing ) and return ANY direction , this can be used in a mobile setup just the same , park setup and go.

if you did this with this kit and fitted to a mobile van etc , drove to a high point , your limit is the horizon, by the way the power was at around 1 watt into the antennas.

Thanks. So if I still need LOS then having this mounted out my 2nd story window (command center) would be best. Even though my house is about 300ft above the town, there are still tall trees up here. Those trees and surrounding residential area is why I'd want to get the antenna as high as possible.

Will, since you all are ItElite distributors, any chance you could compare the ItElite to the antennas used here? Would be invaluable for me to know if it's worth investing in two!

Will, since you all are ItElite distributors, any chance you could compare the ItElite to the antennas used here? Would be invaluable for me to know if it's worth investing in two!

I'm not speaking for Will but as a Maxxrange user this antenna is intended for a different philosophy of use in my opinion. More as a "ground station"; not as mobile as the Maxx. Maxxrange is a linear panel and has less beam width. So you have to pay more attention to aim (even though it is very forgiving). I can take the Maxx anywhere. That said, this collinear antenna has 360deg beam width but is not as mobile/portable/convenient. I think this would be best when mounted to a mast, or structure... Not easy to walk around with 5' rods. This is a ground station antenna.

Thanks, Ed - yeah, you're absolutely right. Well, maybe you can help me figure out if I should go for this. As I said, there are tall trees *everywhere* around here, so almost everywhere I fly, I'm having to punch through some sort of trees if not a thick layer of them. And since it's been 100 degrees or close to it, I've been flying with my booster ItElite (not the Maxxrange but the smaller one, still a fantastic setup) from the driver's seat of my truck. SO much better than the stock antennas! Of course.

But, the thread in the P4 section about Jeremiah Nelson and company getting ridiculous range and penetration with the L-Com antennas, in his case mounted to his car, really caught my attention. I really do enjoy flying from the truck for all sorts of reasons, but I'm a bit torn. Obviously external antennas on the truck would *have* to do a better job than an antenna that's shoved between me and the steering wheel, but I always assumed the directionality of the panel antennas would be my best bet to punch through cover. BUT, since you all have explained that the actual beam width is so concentrated with these antennas, perhaps that still maintains enough strength to try it. And, I *seriously* hate having to try to contort myself within the cab to get the thing pointed toward the bird when it's at the edge of its range. So should I go for the truck antenna setup? As a radio guy I understand that best case scenario is on a 200' tower on the top of a hill, but like everything else, there are many considerations :)

Thanks for the input, all! And sure not trying to hijack - I think this may still be somewhat related.

Can you elaborate a bit. I just hooked them in line to my antennas from the remote as others have done. I am not sure if I needed to do something more. I heard I may need an attenuator, but no one else seems to use them. I really seemed to get no more distance with or without the amps so I am kind of scratching my head about what to do with them.

the RF amps will go green while in transmit mode. if the stay red they are in receive still...

nothing is going to happen doing like this .

Last edited:
Thanks. So if I still need LOS then having this mounted out my 2nd story window (command center) would be best. Even though my house is about 300ft above the town, there are still tall trees up here. Those trees and surrounding residential area is why I'd want to get the antenna as high as possible.
yes you need to be above the tree line , or you will have a signal shadow on the other side of the trees .

Last edited:
well the simple answer is if your using the Itlite , you can fly in the direction of the antenna , within the beam , if you change heading by a large amount you will get signal drop out.

this kit does not suffer that , fly any direction , with the gain of the antennas and the power adjusted it would be the same EIRP but at 360 deg.

I'm not speaking for Will but as a Maxxrange user this antenna is intended for a different philosophy of use in my opinion. More as a "ground station"; not as mobile as the Maxx. Maxxrange is a linear panel and has less beam width. So you have to pay more attention to aim (even though it is very forgiving). I can take the Maxx anywhere. That said, this collinear antenna has 360deg beam width but is not as mobile/portable/convenient. I think this would be best when mounted to a mast, or structure... Not easy to walk around with 5' rods. This is a ground station antenna.
not really , it can be used in a mobile application , simple to set up once the vehicle is parked up , but you would not drive with it obviously, we have smaller compact systems to do just that.

Thanks, Ed - yeah, you're absolutely right. Well, maybe you can help me figure out if I should go for this. As I said, there are tall trees *everywhere* around here, so almost everywhere I fly, I'm having to punch through some sort of trees if not a thick layer of them. And since it's been 100 degrees or close to it, I've been flying with my booster ItElite (not the Maxxrange but the smaller one, still a fantastic setup) from the driver's seat of my truck. SO much better than the stock antennas! Of course.

But, the thread in the P4 section about Jeremiah Nelson and company getting ridiculous range and penetration with the L-Com antennas, in his case mounted to his car, really caught my attention. I really do enjoy flying from the truck for all sorts of reasons, but I'm a bit torn. Obviously external antennas on the truck would *have* to do a better job than an antenna that's shoved between me and the steering wheel, but I always assumed the directionality of the panel antennas would be my best bet to punch through cover. BUT, since you all have explained that the actual beam width is so concentrated with these antennas, perhaps that still maintains enough strength to try it. And, I *seriously* hate having to try to contort myself within the cab to get the thing pointed toward the bird when it's at the edge of its range. So should I go for the truck antenna setup? As a radio guy I understand that best case scenario is on a 200' tower on the top of a hill, but like everything else, there are many considerations :)

Thanks for the input, all! And sure not trying to hijack - I think this may still be somewhat related.
well the simple answer to get around trees and low flying at distance is to use a satellite UAV , this is deployed first and sits there hovering , it also carries a repeater to rebroadcast the RC control signals. this gets you down low in trees then , but you have to have a second UAV kitted out to do this. Application in SAR would be ideal to do this . The satellite UAV would need the Horizon power mod to enable it to sit there for 30 mins or so hovering.

Last edited:

there is nothing stopping you fitting an antenna tracker on the UAV , then use a AAT on the ground with the Max range ( or any beam antenna )as it will follow the UAV and keep it on target.

Yeah, that's the only thing - my area is very heavily forested, so I'm wondering if antennas like that would give me any benefit over my panel antenna. If anybody happens to have both, I'd be most grateful for a comparison!
you can put a better antenna on the bird to beam it back , i have done this with an horizon 9 dB beam. ( Pair ) this makes the UAv go further as it improve the path link.

not really , it can be used in a mobile application , simple to set up once the vehicle is parked up , but you would not drive with it obviously, we have smaller compact systems to do just that.
My point is you're not going to use this while on foot. You will need something to mount the antennas to. Whereas the Maxxrange is mounted to the R/C. This kit isn't made for attaching directly to the R/C. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: brhodz
this is a Ops style kit , if you want portable just fit a small Panel antenna on the RC , we do those to , this is mobile or base style kit.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20