Pilot remote flying , Ops room style using Full HD

with our long range flights we are going to do a 'arm chair' flight system where we can fly in any direction and feed back the 4k video live to a large screen , we did a valley flight a few days ago perfect link all the way , amazing video , ill render it up and put it upon the channel shortly.

Reactions: cmyk22
I am subbed now!

here you go guys , full HD arm chair flight out over 5 miles and back ,P3 ,
total flight was 30 mins . Horizon RC mod, Horizon power mod ,Horizon HD Platform .

You can fly 10 miles , in any direction , this kit has application for SAR , can also be set up quite easily in a mobile mode and the Uav then deployed in ANY direction . There is no need to track the auv

Last edited:
Very nice Will! So I see you're home point was elevated; similar to my home. How long are the cables between the amps and the antenna? And then from the amps to the controller? I'm trying to figure out if I could mount this somehow out the 2nd floor window in my house, maybe fabricate something where I can take it down easily. Total distance from the rain gutter to the desk where I'd fly is probably around 25 feet max.

Last edited:
I'd imagine having the antenna elevated above the roofline would be best. How does the beam width perform during close-distance, lower altitude (below antenna) when landing? If I mount it to my roof and land in my yard 40ft away will signal fail?

Will, this is very impressive all around. From what I saw in the video, the home point didn't look particularly elevated to me - in fact it looked like it was in a valley. Also, the wind turbine looked to have some serious hills between it and the RC, which means the equipment was doing a fantastic job.

Will, do you have any experience with an antenna setup like the ItElite? Your antenna setup reminds me of the one Jeremiah Nelson is using with his car with great results - it seems like a panel antenna like the ItElite or an FPVLR would have better range if pointed directly at the bird, but the omnis you and Jeremiah are using seem to be doing far better - and in all directions. Any ability to comment on the range of these antennas vs one of the others?

Many, many thanks - this kind of research is very beneficial for the rest of us!!

Awesome flight distance. Especially good for people like me who have 100 degree temps right now.

I'd imagine having the antenna elevated above the roofline would be best. How does the beam width perform during close-distance, lower altitude (below antenna) when landing? If I mount it to my roof and land in my yard 40ft away will signal fail?

Hi there ,if the signals are good at 5 mile out its hardly going to fail at 40 ft , you could unplug the antenna and it would still work !

Seriously ,there is not a problem at all at lower elevation close in ..

As for the length of cables they were as follows
antenna to RF amps ( indoors ) around two meters , rf amps to RC controller ,around 4 meters .
cable length is not really a problem as you can drive the coax from the RC end to get the required drive to the RF amp input , which then gets the 1 or two watt out to the antennas, the receiver side is the same as it has gain ( preamp ) and drives the cable back to the RC controller. so you just adjust to allow for the cable . this is no loss whatever the cable length ..

In another application i used UHF instead of 2.4 GHz ( microwave ) this used the EZUHf and i did a setup where the RC controller and video were fed back to the Pilot Room , with the UZUHF it used PPM so this can be fed up a wire pair a very long way indeed , ( i tested at 500 meters of cable ) no problems , and since the video coming back is Dc 1v peak to peak there is no loss .
this was used to remote fly a fixed wing UAV , out to 20 miles and back while sitting in the Ops room.

Last edited:
the beam ( main beam) off the antenna is around 6 deg , so its radiating at the horizon at 360 deg in all directions. this proves you can fly any direction ( UAV power allowing ) and return ANY direction , this can be used in a mobile setup just the same , park setup and go.

if you did this with this kit and fitted to a mobile van etc , drove to a high point , your limit is the horizon, by the way the power was at around 1 watt into the antennas.

Last edited:
Will, this is very impressive all around. From what I saw in the video, the home point didn't look particularly elevated to me - in fact it looked like it was in a valley. Also, the wind turbine looked to have some serious hills between it and the RC, which means the equipment was doing a fantastic job.

Will, do you have any experience with an antenna setup like the ItElite? Your antenna setup reminds me of the one Jeremiah Nelson is using with his car with great results - it seems like a panel antenna like the ItElite or an FPVLR would have better range if pointed directly at the bird, but the omnis you and Jeremiah are using seem to be doing far better - and in all directions. Any ability to comment on the range of these antennas vs one of the others?

Many, many thanks - this kind of research is very beneficial for the rest of us!!
if you look at the video when the UAV turns 180deg to fly back the pilot position ( 5 miles away ) is actually in a valley but still line of sight , I can actually seethe wind turbine from the Ops room .
so as long as there is a clear path there is not a problem. If you live in a flat area , then elivate the antennas as high *** possible and feed the cables back ( allowing for cables losses ) adjust the power levels. Trees are the worst , so get above them.

Last edited:
The video displays a message that there are links in the notes, but they're not there.

The video I saw looked like it consisted of 2 days. Starting at dusk and then maybe dawn? It also appeared to have flown around a mountain, and then continued down into a valley at lower altitude.

Reactions: Digdat0
So what kind of amps do you recommend? I purchased some black amps on e-bay with birds on them. They seemed to do nothing at all for my Phantom or even my home WIFI where I also tested them.

we are Dealers in the UK for ITelite, I'm the designer of all the antennas systems you see on the site , the Terminator i designed out performs the Max Range version , although the Max range is a really good antenna , the terminator is more robust with better performace.

Last edited:
The video displays a message that there are links in the notes, but they're not there.

The video I saw looked like it consisted of 2 days. Starting at dusk and then maybe dawn? It also appeared to have flown around a mountain, and then continued down into a valley at lower altitude.
that is correct , the flight we did the SD card was full 3/4 the way back to we just used another previous flight over the same path for the part coming up the valley. there was no difference in what direction we flew. when we got back the power showed 4 % , ill do it again in better light conditions with some nice sunlight shots , to much rain at present , and start with an empty SD card !.

put in some links .

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20