Phantom4K controller charging problem help plz

Reaction score
When i plug my controller in to the original charger it charges for a while and then the lights just go black. It works perfectly with the drone but not the rc

Most likely the battery in the controller, or the charging circuit in the battery, no service part available from DJI. Check YouTube for path forward. There are several options. Start with the least invasive and move forward. May be a trip to DJI in the future for your RC.

Welcome to the club... we've got jackets.

Just send it back to DJI, there is nothing you can do to fix the problem. I am already on my third RC. My first one developed the issue after six months. Since it was under waranty, it was sent back to DJI, who sent me a new one after five weeks.

After four months, the new one developed the very same issue. It has now been at DJI for six week. I guess they will replace it too. But I will not be surprised if this third one develops the same problem after like five-six months...

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Sounds like they are just using up all the old inherently faulty rc parts with the balance board issue till warranty runs out. Mine was just hanging in there by re plugging it in and out to get it to charge to 2 solid LEDs but now it stops at 1 and warning beeps if I turn it on. I'm now going to try the balance board removal step to get some life out of the original battery. Plan b is to replace the battery with alternative generic as per YouTube. I'm going in wish me luck

"If it itches it will be scratched"

Got my RC back last week, actually I got a brand new one. For now it works fine, but I will definitely be checking it.

I put the meter on the battery and it is 8.32 volts with the rc on showing 1 flashing light and the warning beep going ........plug in the charger and beep stops and volts go up to 8.41 till it stops charging (cause its full) then drops back to 8.33 and low volt beep starts.
Conclusion.......bad voltage read on main board not balance board?
Taped up the speaker ignored the red light and flew for 30 mins. (Battery is NOT flat)
Considering a 9volt battery to compensate for wrong battery read error

OOKKKK - so I've had the same problem (no t-shirt tho). DJI replaced my RC with a new that arrived today (very fast turn around, I was quite excited to get back in the air with my fresh Part 107 Cert).

I followed the 'pairing' instructions in the manual (Version 1.2, page 29 - Linking the Remote Controller). No joy - not a happy camper so far.

In summary (from the manual):

1) Turn on RC and connect to the mobile device (unstated in the manual but I connected via the USB cable - I presume that was the correct). Launch the DJI Go app - ya

2) Turn on Intelligent Flight Battery - ya

3) Enter "Camera" and tap RC icon and then tap 'Linking RC". ya

4) RC led status blinks blue and beeps. P3 4K linking led/button shows solid red. I press the 'button' and it goes to flashing red. Linking timer runs out.

Have done this several dozen times so far. I'll call DJI tomorrow, but thought I'd consult the experts first.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
An update here. I did contact DJI and it turns out they sent me the wrong controller as a replacement. They sent a GL300C which does not work with the P3 4K. Proper replacement on its way.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
It is not an issue with the battery it is an issue with the charging circuit in the controller. Essentially the solder connections are beginning to deteriorate in the board needs to be reflowed in order to restore the connections. I just made a post about my 3 week adventure with it. If your controller is under warranty, send it back and let them replace it. If it is not you need to purchase a new remote or have the circuitboard reflowed.

An update here. I did contact DJI and it turns out they sent me the wrong controller as a replacement. They sent a GL300C which does not work with the P3 4K. Proper replacement on its way.
Update and hopefully my last reply on this thread: DJI sent me a new GL358wB controller and it linked immediately after a charge. Since its been a while I needed the latest FW update so I held my breath and did that. Success first time. (I guess if you can't be good - be lucky). Took it for short flight and all is well. Clearly too soon to pop the cork on the champagne but feeling optimistic at this point - time will tell as my warranty runs out late June so you can bet I'll be giving it a real workout between now and then.
Cheers!

We ALL love to always hear of success storys like yours.......Thank you for the reply....we all wish you many many hours of happy flights and fun times as you take that bird to the W I D E open skys above !

We ALL love to always hear of success storys like yours.......Thank you for the reply....we all wish you many many hours of happy flights and fun times as you take that bird to the W I D E open skys above !
Thanks! Will be enjoying glorious wide open Class G airspace over the family farm in Nebraska as they get into planting here in about a month or so. Can't wait.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
OK - it really pains me to write this but my optimism was dashed. New controller worked fine upon receipt - several flights (nothing extensive) and I figured 'ready to go/'. One final test - charge everything up, pack into travel case and head to Nebr. (I live in Texas). My job was several days after my arrival so system was in case for 5 days total. Arrive and RC fails to power on (P34K just fine, ready to go, tablet fine, ready to go - RC won't power up). Nice thing for customer to witness. Get home, it won't take charge so I leave it alone (foul language deleted). Next morning - just for grins - plug in charger - RC comes alive. Really???????? But now its raining and I've totally missed the opportunity.

Bummer - missed the planting pics opportunity and maybe lost a customer.

Still under warranty so back we go to DJI. Maybe can get this straightened out before mid-summer which is my next (hopefully) scheduled flight over the farm.

Just wanted to send an update. Still a fan - but DJI does strain the relationship.

OK - it really pains me to write this but my optimism was dashed. New controller worked fine upon receipt - several flights (nothing extensive) and I figured 'ready to go/'. One final test - charge everything up, pack into travel case and head to Nebr. (I live in Texas). My job was several days after my arrival so system was in case for 5 days total. Arrive and RC fails to power on (P34K just fine, ready to go, tablet fine, ready to go - RC won't power up). Nice thing for customer to witness. Get home, it won't take charge so I leave it alone (foul language deleted). Next morning - just for grins - plug in charger - RC comes alive. Really???????? But now its raining and I've totally missed the opportunity.

Bummer - missed the planting pics opportunity and maybe lost a customer.

Still under warranty so back we go to DJI. Maybe can get this straightened out before mid-summer which is my next (hopefully) scheduled flight over the farm.

Just wanted to send an update. Still a fan - but DJI does strain the relationship.

That's really sad to read... But if you are using your drone for professional purposes, have you considered getting a second drone, like the Mavic (or at least a second RC) for backup? They are not all that expensive really - definitely less expensive than failing a photo session and losing customers.

Pro photographers normally use several camera bodies to avoid awkward lens changes in the field and also for redundancy, in case one camera fails during a critical mission.

Last edited:
Purchasing another drone is certainly a possibility. My plan was to use the P34k as a learning step (both the flying and the photography aspects), see if there were people interested in what I might be able to offer and then step up to some more serious gear. I'm already contemplating an upgrade. Hopefully DJI will once again stand by their gear as I'm still under warranty and I'd like to stay with DJI products. Stay tuned.

I'm outa warranty so its a repair for me. Just not that interested in purchasing another potentially faulty 300c only to find it fails 6 months later.

My take is that its not the battery that's flat its just a read issue on the main board and yes a reflow may work ..... I had a little try with a soldering iron but no change. Going to see if anyone locally will refow with a heat gun.

But here's the thing if you ignore the warning beep what happens? (If the battery is not flat)
Has anyone had a RTH because of a low RC battery issue? (On a known faulty RC)

Purchasing another drone is certainly a possibility. My plan was to use the P34k as a learning step (both the flying and the photography aspects), see if there were people interested in what I might be able to offer and then step up to some more serious gear. I'm already contemplating an upgrade. Hopefully DJI will once again stand by their gear as I'm still under warranty and I'd like to stay with DJI products. Stay tuned.
A follow up question to my previous posts. There is a lot of information about the charge/discharge behavior of the Intelligent batteries for the aircraft - but what is the behavior for the RC. Meaning - if you fully charge the RC - what is the discharge rate if left idle for some period of time and what behavior can be expected as it discharges. Does it reach a point where it will neither power on nor take a charge until the battery has been fully depleted (my experience).
How do others manage charging on their RC?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic