Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Size

Reaction score
Greetings:

There are starting to be a few case options for the Phantom Vision; however, no cases made specifically for the Phantom meet Airline Carry On baggage size requirements. I read the specs for the Pelican 1510 case and saw that it met carry on size requirements, and I saw that the interior was just big enough for the Phantom Vision. So I bought one. The Phantom just barely fits, but it does fit and the case closes securely.

I have a compartments that...
Hold the Phantom 2 with Vision Camera
Hold the RC with Phone clip installed
Hold 8 propeller blades.
Hold 2 Spare Batteries (There is room for a 3rd battery compartment)
Hold the AC Battery Charger and its Cable.
Hold the Propeller Wrench, SD Card Adapter, and Lens Cap.

There are 2 layers of foam. Some of the compartments are in the lower layer. You take out the upper layer after removing the Phantom and Remote Control, to access the lower layers. I can assemble the phantom after opening this case in about 2-3 minutes.

The case has an extendable arm, and rolls on wheels.

I have used the phantom in this case for about 20-30 flights.

Just I thought I'd let you know about my experiments with the Pelican 1510.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Attachments

• PhantomVisionInPelican1510Case600K.jpg
    PhantomVisionInPelican1510Case600K.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 6,765
Re: Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Si

The only problem is the "pluck" foam doesn't last very long and it's really hard to find replacement foam.

Timtro said:
The only problem is the "pluck" foam doesn't last very long and it's really hard to find replacement foam.

There are many users selling replacement foam for the 1510 on eBay. I wonder if shoring up the outside edges of the foam (the parts that come in contact with the case, with a bit of duct tape might increase the duration of durability for the pluck and pull foam?

Thanks,
Chuggie

Chuggie said:
Timtro said:

There are many users selling replacement foam for the 1510 on eBay. I wonder if shoring up the outside edges of the foam (the parts that come in contact with the case, with a bit of duct tape might increase the duration of durability for the pluck and pull foam?

Thanks,
Chuggie

Replacement foam runs about $20 to $40

Hey thanks for posting I really wanted to see how that thing fit. It is VERY tight. I think for flights on a plane its fine because its with you and not going to get banged up in your possession more or less. So id be in for one for that reason. But I think I will keep my 1560 for everyday use. Its got more room and space for protection. Again thanks for posting I appreciate you taking the time to get those pics up brother. Have a great day.

James

JustJames said:
Hey thanks for posting I really wanted to see how that thing fit. It is VERY tight. I think for flights on a plane its fine because its with you and not going to get banged up in your possession more or less. So id be in for one for that reason. But I think I will keep my 1560 for everyday use. Its got more room and space for protection. Again thanks for posting I appreciate you taking the time to get those pics up brother. Have a great day.

James

Thanks James,

I would like to see what your 1560 case setup looks like, please post.

Thanks, Chuggie

Sure no prob. It's not as dialed in as most here. I used a case I got from work. It's an old EMS box we no longer use since switching to soft bags. I just reorganized the padding inside to fit. I have since made it even more snug fitting than this picture but you get the idea. It gives you an idea of how much space you have. The top is padded behind the clear pocket panel section as is the bottom. I thought about going to pull and pluck..it would look more custom but honestly this is working out pretty well. It didn't cost anything and the only real compromise is carrying around an ugly bright orange scuffed up box. But I have not prob with that.

Attachments

• PV2 case b.JPG
    PV2 case b.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 4,079
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 1.03.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 1.03.31 PM.png
    522.1 KB · Views: 3,983
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 12.59.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 12.59.24 PM.png
    593.2 KB · Views: 4,400

JustJames said:
Sure no prob. It's not as dialed in as most here. I used a case I got from work. It's an old EMS box we no longer use since switching to soft bags. I just reorganized the padding inside to fit. I have since made it even more snug fitting than this picture but you get the idea. It gives you an idea of how much space you have. The top is padded behind the clear pocket panel section as is the bottom. I thought about going to pull and pluck..it would look more custom but honestly this is working out pretty well. It didn't cost anything and the only real compromise is carrying around an ugly bright orange scuffed up box. But I have not prob with that.

I like the case, but how does one obtain an EMS box?

Thanks,
Chuggie

Thanks for posting! Traveling to europe this month so getting that pelican.

Chuggie said:
JustJames said:

Thanks,
Chuggie

I am a firefighter paramedic. It was a dusty leftover that we used to use. We since have switched. Its got a few scuffs but is doing the job. It is the same as a 1560 but with padded divider.

James

elmoli said:

The carry on Pelican is well worth the investment. I just traveled down to the Texas Gulf cost, and the airlines lost our checked bags. If my Phantom was in a lost checked bag, I would have pulled the rest of my hair out. But I had the phantom in the pelican carry on, so I got to go out on the beach and fly (in my smelly cloths that I wore the day before). Check out my fun beach video from the trip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnvOmNpJh8[/youtube]

Chuggie said:
elmoli said:

The carry on Pelican is well worth the investment. I just traveled down to the Texas Gulf cost, and the airlines lost our checked bags. If my Phantom was in a lost checked bag, I would have pulled the rest of my hair out. But I had the phantom in the pelican carry on, so I got to go out on the beach and fly (in my smelly cloths that I wore the day before). Check out my fun beach video from the trip.

Yikes! Lost luggage is not an element that I was even thinking about. That sucks sorry to hear that. Im glad you had your Phantom with you as carry on. That motivates me even more to get the 1510 (or Nanuck 935) so that I can take it on board for sure.

I WAS thinking id just take the 1560 and if they didn't let me take it in the end id check it...not anymore. Id wanna kill someone if I lost the Phantom to an airlines ineptitude. Thanks for posting and for sharing video.

James

Hey Chuggie, so you didn't have any problems getting this through at the Airport? I would think this item would be a security nightmare.

JustJames said:
Chuggie said:
elmoli said:

Yikes! Lost luggage is not an element that I was even thinking about. That sucks sorry to hear that. Im glad you had your Phantom with you as carry on. That motivates me even more to get the 1510 (or Nanuck 935) so that I can take it on board for sure.

I WAS thinking id just take the 1560 and if they didn't let me take it in the end id check it...not anymore. Id wanna kill someone if I lost the Phantom to an airlines ineptitude. Thanks for posting and for sharing video.

James

Does anyone have experience wih the Pelican 1550? I just recv'd my P2V but the lovely weather has precluded any flights so far. I have some travel pending and like many others want the best of all options: carry-on approved, light-weight with or without wheels, capable of carrying all standard accessories and 2 additional batteries.

Finally, short of breaking out the measuring tape, I was not able to find the dimensions of the P2V (minus propellers).

Anyone have input on the above? Chuggie, I can't see 5 feet out my window with all the snow flying. The header of your beach video alone has me drooling! I will watch it tonight once I dig a path back to my home.

Got the case. You weren't kidding about the TIGHT fit!!

JustJames said:
Chuggie said:
JustJames said:

Thanks,
Chuggie

I am a firefighter paramedic. It was a dusty leftover that we used to use. We since have switched. Its got a few scuffs but is doing the job. It is the same as a 1560 but with padded divider.

James

I just came into possession of a Pelican 1550. It's 1.32" less wide than the 1510, but 3" deeper and the same height... Think this will fit a vision???

-slinger

Carry on dimension limits:
22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall (56 x 36 x 23 cm)

Many pieces of luggage sold as carry on size are too large
to fit in the testing "box", often due to handles or small "feet".

The P2V is 11-3/8 inches square, by 7 inches high.

From the Pelican web site:
The Pelican 1510 case is 22.00" x 13.81" x 9.00" (carry on size),
has sturdy walls, braces, reinforcing ribs, handles, etc, so the
Interior Dimensions are specified as 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60".

The 11.00" dimension seems a bit snug for the 11.37" P2V, right?

However, you apparently get the lid to shut, with no padding at all?

garygid said:
Carry on dimension limits:
22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall (56 x 36 x 23 cm)

Many pieces of luggage sold as carry on size are too large
to fit in the testing "box", often due to handles or small "feet".

The P2V is 11-3/8 inches square, by 7 inches high.

From the Pelican web site:
The Pelican 1510 case is 22.00" x 13.81" x 9.00" (carry on size),
has sturdy walls, braces, reinforcing ribs, handles, etc, so the
Interior Dimensions are specified as 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60".

The 11.00" dimension seems a bit snug for the 11.37" P2V, right?

However, you apparently get the lid to shut, with no padding at all?

Gary you hit the nail on the head. Good post with the dimensions and all. The 1510 is a tight squeeze as Chuggie shows. The only other case that I have yet to see the PV2 in that meets the TSA requirements is the Nanuk 935 which is slightly wider (interior)and lighter than the 1510. I need to find one to see if it will work. Physically place my PV2 in it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _foam.html

Attachments

• Nanuk 935 specs.png
    Nanuk 935 specs.png
    58 KB · Views: 1,386

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20